News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I've heard from two sources that Zippers is teaming up with Remingtons to take over the old Barn space.

EDIT: And now I'm hearing that that information isn't correct...

DAMN! I want that to happen. The Barn would be perfect to reopen as Zipperz-Cellblock! I had a great time at the closing party yesterday.

The Timothy's space at Church and Alexander is now Greenrock Property Management, which owns the commercial space in the Alexus building. Given what that spot goes for in rent these days, this was rather unexpected. Wouldn't it be better to rent it out for whatever they can get and put the office space somewhere else?

At the same time though, the antics might be an "annoyance" but it's really not that much worse than the kinds of disruptions the community dished out to the mainstream back in the 80s. It's fairly mild - and they did try to make it fab with the rainbow smokebombs, so kudos to them for that aspect of it.

What need to be understood is that police is not a monolithic organization - pull enough sh*t, and you'd basically embolden/empowers the worst of their lot (the racists, homophobes, etc) and give them a PR win - there is nothing more they'd like to see than to discredit those in the organization who'd advance reproachment, and better yet, see various groups at each others' throats (cue Blatch and Lorriestein in the article posted above). It would be wise to deny them that win.

AoD
Was that BLM that set off the smokebombs? That was a stupid stunt. I was 30 feet north of their stalled float and most of us in the crowd couldn't see the smokebombs but we did hear them and then saw smoke rising. This could have ended very badly in a crowd stampede. Mymind and others went there when we first heard the small explosion. It reminded us of the Boston marathon bombing. You can't do that in crowds of a million plus people without possibly causing a stampede. So many near us were alarmed when we heard that explosion. VERY IRRESPONSIBLE.

Last edited:
It appears that Glad Day is moving to 499 Church Street (where Byzantium is now).

Glad.png

Attachments

• Glad.png
    Glad.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 744
I wondered why Byzantium didn't fix their electronic signboard by the door; wonder if it will re-open in another incarnation, based on this article. Glad Day's plans certainly sound good and it would be great to have something different on the strip.

Great to hear about the new book shop location, but I'm actually really sad to see Byz closing. We really loved that place!

I was hoping the bookstore moving into the Village would ADD to the Village, but losing a staple business is unfortunate.

Novak's Rexall on the NW corner of Church and Wellesley closed rather suddenly on August 12.

I may be wrong on this, but I thought Rexall had already moved to the SW corner and was simply waiting out the lease on the NW corner.

Back