News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

With the vending machines, when you (tourist?) pays cash for the fare, the proof-of-payment (transfer) will only be issued when the correct cash fare is deposited. Those who presently deposit a handful of nickels will have to deposit the correct amount, instead of short changing.

Fine with me. I have a low assh*le tolerance.

I've noticed this is incredibly awkward if you're exiting towards Liberty Village. You have to go back inside the station a bit to tap off and then continue on your way. There's no Presto reader en route to the exit from the train. Very inconvenient.

Or downright stupid if you're calling it straight.

Don’t forget Presto is still not fully rolled out to the TTC and it’s a lot more complex than the other transit organisations that are a part of Presto. There are bound to be problems that pop up from time to time and I’m sure they are getting tired of hearing about them daily and are planning to fix them once the system is complete as there are many more things they still need to add to it like Monthly and Weekly passes and also figure out how those will work with the subway extension and any other planed changes to the fare structure.

Don’t forget Presto is still not fully rolled out to the TTC and it’s a lot more complex than the other transit organisations that are a part of Presto. There are bound to be problems that pop up from time to time and I’m sure they are getting tired of hearing about them daily and are planning to fix them once the system is complete as there are many more things they still need to add to it like Monthly and Weekly passes and also figure out how those will work with the subway extension and any other planed changes to the fare structure.

Actually, I am having a hard time excusing this baloney. I'm not sure why the programming for the METROPASS is not complete and I am of the opinion that the take-up in Toronto would be much farther along if we were able to buy a METROPASS and load it.

Actually, I am having a hard time excusing this baloney. I'm not sure why the programming for the METROPASS is not complete and I am of the opinion that the take-up in Toronto would be much farther along if we were able to buy a METROPASS and load it.
Because it doesn't make sense to have it on an incomplete system. Until the TTC is 100% ready for presto on every bus, streetcar and station having a metropass on a farecard makes no sense

Because it doesn't make sense to have it on an incomplete system. Until the TTC is 100% ready for presto on every bus, streetcar and station having a metropass on a farecard makes no sense

Buyer beware. If it works where you travel, then buy a PRESTOMETROPASS. If not, an old swipe pass.

Buyer beware. If it works where you travel, then buy a PRESTOMETROPASS. If not, an old swipe pass.
But the old swipe pass still gets you on everything. You can use it at all stations with the new fate gates at any entrance. They have at least two Gates at every entrance that has them. If a fare inspector ask for your fare they only have to look at it and not scan it or do anything else with it. Would I like to have a metropass on a presto card yes but I would rather wait until the whole system can use it as you never know where you might go and you can't depend on presto being available everywhere yet.

Would rather have PRESTO become a "pass" on its own.

A "day pass" costs $12.00. If you ride the TTC more than 4 times in a single day, the PRESTO should become a "day pass" on its own.

A "weekly pass" costs $42.25. Exceed 14 rides in a week, the PRESTO card becomes a "weekly pass".

A "monthly pass" (AKA Metropass) costs $141.50. Exceed 48 rides in a month, the PRESTO card should become a "monthly pass", on its own.

Discounts (students and seniors) would have their own thresholds.

And since the PRESTO card and the current passes are transferable to other humans, those thresholds could be more easily reached. Except for the discounts, as they require photo ID to show at fare inspections.

Better than having the "pass" being setup before hand. Have the "pass" happen as you use it. You can download a "Transit Usage Report" in your PRESTO account to claim for taxable credits. See link.

A "day pass" costs $12.00. If you ride the TTC more than 4 times in a single day, the PRESTO should become a "day pass" on its own.

A "weekly pass" costs $42.25. Exceed 14 rides in a week, the PRESTO card becomes a "weekly pass".

A "monthly pass" (AKA Metropass) costs $141.50. Exceed 48 rides in a month, the PRESTO card should become a "monthly pass", on its own.

Discounts (students and seniors) would have their own thresholds.

And since the PRESTO card and the current passes are transferable to other humans, those thresholds could be more easily reached. Except for the discounts, as they require photo ID to show at fare inspections.

Better than having the "pass" being setup before hand. Have the "pass" happen as you use it. You can download a "Transit Usage Report" in your PRESTO account to claim for taxable credits. See link.

It's by far the most logical and fair way to do it. Has the TTC mentioned at all what method they will use? I think Ottawa makes you buy a pass and load it onto the card, whereas GO gives you free rides after a certain amount? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Has the TTC mentioned at all what method they will use?

Kinda. They were looking at a daily cap (4 trips per day) and a monthly pass you purchase and load onto the card. Their reasoning was the current coding for the trip counter limit can only handle 1 time period (daily OR monthly; not both).

Has the TTC mentioned at all what method they will use? I think Ottawa makes you buy a pass and load it onto the card, whereas GO gives you free rides after a certain amount?

Everyone except GO makes you buy a pass. The reason why GO works differently is their insanely complicated system of fare zones

They were looking at a daily cap (4 trips per day) and a monthly pass you purchase and load onto the card.

They seem to have this already. I've never taken a fifth trip in the same day but Presto keeps track of how many trips you've taken in a day (the same way that GO tracks how many you've taken in the month)

Kinda. They were looking at a daily cap (4 rides max per day) and a monthly pass you purchase and load onto the card. Evidently the trip counter limit can only be for 1 time period (daily OR monthly; not both).

I see, is that a Presto limitation? This seems like such a trivial thing to program, but what do I know.

I see, is that a Presto limitation? This seems like such a trivial thing to program, but what do I know.

Yes, it's a Presto limitation.

It would be trivial if it was a backend based processing system. Catch is, the data is stored on the card and fares processed by the terminal. Changing the data structures on the card is going to be non-trivial simply due to having to carry the code from the legacy format around forever too (so everything for years would require testing on dataformat X and testing on dataformat X + 1).

Basically, until Presto V1 is eliminated entirely, every fare structure they failed to consider by 2006 is now difficult; far from impossible but much more expensive than seems reasonable.

Last edited:
Reactions: P23

The other difference is that a day pass on the weekend is valid for 2 adults and 4 "youths" 19 and under or 1 adult and 5 "youths" 19 and under. That's rather tricky to figure out how to program into Presto...not really sure how that would ever work. I certainly have enough sympathy for any 1 adult chaperoning 5 youths, that I don't want them to have to figure out Presto as well ;)

The other difference is that a day pass on the weekend is valid for 2 adults and 4 "youths" 19 and under or 1 adult and 5 "youths" 19 and under. That's rather tricky to figure out how to program into Presto...not really sure how that would ever work. I certainly have enough sympathy for any 1 adult chaperoning 5 youths, that I don't want them to have to figure out Presto as well ;)

They'll have to create a website where they can combine various PRESTO card numbers together, before they use it on a weekend. When they're in the same vicinity (IE. same subway station entrance within 5 minutes) on a weekend day, all the PRESTO cards will be the "weekend day pass", within the criteria needed. They'll need to designate which "adult" will be the "holder", and must be in the group.

Unless the two adults want to go "dutch" instead on a weekend date.

Of course, since the current "day pass" is transferable, the PRESTO card numbers would have to be alterable as well.

Last edited:

Back