News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

The Star seems to be implying that Tory is putting his finger on the scale - ie overriding a staff decision that is based on fact. I would argue the reverse is true - GO is expediting the reno to Mimico to prevent the debate from being fairly argued. The original evaluation was subjective and the ratings it arrived at are debatable.

- Paul

That's approx. 1.5km from the Christie site - not exactly conducive to the neighbourhood.

AoD

True. I suppose GO could run skip-stop service if the new station has to be at Park Lawn and they insist on sticking to their minimum 1.5 km station separation. (Though electrification should negate or reduce this minimum distance requirement, which I assume is based at least partially on the time needed to accelerate/decelerate a 12 car diesel train).

True. I suppose GO could run skip-stop service if the new station has to be at Park Lawn and they insist on sticking to their minimum 1.5 km station separation. (Though electrification should negate or reduce this minimum distance requirement, which I assume is based at least partially on the time needed to accelerate/decelerate a 12 car diesel train).

Just how much benefit will Mimico offer once Park Lawn open to warrant keeping it in operation though? There is hardly any density around it.

AoD

While GO Transit claims that the distance is only 1.3 kilometres between Mimico and Park Lawn, it's a lot farther a distance by foot or even by car because of the poor connections from the south and west - a disconnected road network, and no access to the existing station from the south side - you have to go all the way over to Royal York Road. A second station entrance out to the Blue Goose Tavern area would improve access.

But GO was designed at first as a means to ferry 905 commuters to Downtown Toronto from suburban parking lots. They've been resistant to any change from this mentality for a very long time, even if some of that free parking in the suburbs are now in parking garages.

If ML is that fixated on Mimico, I would like to see them propose something creative for a shuttle bus - such as a busway/cycle path created by extending Algoma or Portland eastwards and crossing Mimico Creek on a new bridge. Not cheap, but certainly if they are trying to minimise their investment, it's a possibility. Good place to experiment with electric vehicles.

The biggest argument for Mimico is simply that the Humber Bay area is actually fairly spread out, particularly if you measure it from the Palace Pier in the east to Marina Del Ray. So there is no optimal platform placement that is walkable for the whole area. Some sort of first/last-half-km shuttle might be needed if the platform ends up where ML has envisioned it (ML has some more valid reasons why the platform can't be right on top of the Park Lawn bridge). Once you decide there will have to be a shuttle, Mimico might be as good a location as any if the dropoff were at the east end of the platform rather than over at Royal York.

- Paul

The Park Lawn - Mimico distance is almost the same as Mount Joy - Markham.. Why does GO complain so much about it?

These stations will also be serviced by GO Transit EMU's.

We need to stop building transit with the premise that the technology we use NOW will be what we are using THEN.

1.3km for an EMU electric train is totally acceptable, especially if all other factors show good ridership.

Last edited:
These stations will also be serviced by GO Transit EMU's.

We need to stop building transit with the premise that the technology we use NOW will be what we are using THEN.

1.3km for an EMU electric train is totally acceptable, especially if all other factors show good ridership.

Exactly. And both will likely only be treated as local stops once RER comes online. Nearly all of the trains coming from west of Oakville or Clarkson will be bypassing these stations, so it's not like added trip time is a factor for most of those 905ers.

RER's initial service plan is to have hourly express (first stop is Oakville) diesel service to Hamilton throughout the day, but mid day 15 minute service will make all stops. The hourly express service will be nice for those on the further ends of the line, if you can time your trips around the schedule.

I can see them eventually transitioning to a dual service with trains every 15 minutes to Oakville and every 15 minutes to Hamilton that are express to Oakville eventually however as ridership builds, just not during initial service.

While GO Transit claims that the distance is only 1.3 kilometres between Mimico and Park Lawn, it's a lot farther a distance by foot or even by car because of the poor connections from the south and west - a disconnected road network, and no access to the existing station from the south side - you have to go all the way over to Royal York Road. A second station entrance out to the Blue Goose Tavern area would improve access.

But GO was designed at first as a means to ferry 905 commuters to Downtown Toronto from suburban parking lots. They've been resistant to any change from this mentality for a very long time, even if some of that free parking in the suburbs are now in parking garages.

That 1.3km distance figure/claim surprised me, too, and raises a question about methodology: when ML conducts their assessments, are they drawing a line-of-shortest-distance with GPS rather than assuming a practical route?

When the case-making difference is a matter of 0.2km, that difference in methodological approach could tip the scales.

Back