News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

If Doug Ford decides to takes over the subway, he could fire all the current unionized TTC workers and replace it with their own operations. This driverless idea isn't that far-fetched as you all think. Just like how he got ride of half the councilors with a stoke of a pen, he could do the same. The city of Toronto and the TTC simply exist because of Ontario and Ontario can take that away anytime.

Mike Harris "I am the most hated Premier of Ontario"
Doug Ford "Hold my beer"

Stephen Harper "You won't recognize Canada when I am done."
Doug Ford "Hold my beer."

If Doug Ford decides to takes over the subway, he could fire all the current unionized TTC workers and replace it with their own operations. This driverless idea isn't that far-fetched as you all think. Just like how he got ride of half the councilors with a stoke of a pen, he could do the same. The city of Toronto and the TTC simply exist because of Ontario and Ontario can take that away anytime.
DoFo is just taking over capital costs, and TTC keeps the operation no?

DoFo is just taking over capital costs, and TTC keeps the operation no?

Based strictly on numbers released ($160M/year capital contribution), DoFo is taking over about 1/3rd of the capital costs while taking ownership (for depreciation) of the entire thing.

I expect the city will be expected to make an annual contribution toward capital in the same manner municipalities were expected to make annual contributions to GO funding.

If DoFo did take over the subway, it would likely be merged with the GO. There's no point of running two systems in the GTA. The city would likely loose it's voice in where the next extension goes and a subway to Wonderland could be prioritized over the DRL. DoFo doesn't like downtown. Maybe he'll just cancel the DRL for good. It's a really bad idea for him to run the subway.

If DoFo did take over the subway, it would likely be merged with the GO. There's no point of running two systems in the GTA. The city would likely loose it's voice in where the next extension goes and a subway to Wonderland could be prioritized over the DRL. DoFo doesn't like downtown. Maybe he'll just cancel the DRL for good. It's a really bad idea for him to run the subway.

Canadian political parties still rely heavily on donations. Doug may not like downtown but a non-trivial amount of the parties income still comes from there. OPC won't survive a significant drop in donations any better than the Ontario Liberals did.

In short, there needs to be some new capacity downtown for Ford to get a 2nd term; whether it's GO, TTC, or a new highway.

Last edited:
Canadian political parties still rely heavily on donations. Doug may not like downtown but a non-trivial amount of the parties income still comes from there. OPC won't survive a significant drop in donations any better than the Ontario Liberals did.

In short, there needs to be some new capacity downtown for Ford to get a 2nd term; whether it's GO, TTC, or a new highway.
So far Ford is batting pretty close to 1000. I don't think he's too worried about re-election at this point.

He has to work there now so maybe his views will be slightly swayed (if only we can get him to take the subway once).

Back