Here's the footprint for the buildings. The two on the right are completed.

success.jpg

That image begs the question 'what will the name of the last tower be'?

I say play off the current success theme and call it the Ultimate Failure Tower, referring to the architectural contribution of the complex to the city.

It's got a ring, doesn't it? Ultimate Failure Tower'? I'd remember that one.

^ "Failure" could be interchanged with other descriptions such as "eyesore", "disaster", "blandness", etc.

Tower Palatial?

I think I saw that name name/phrase at the work site. I'm not sure if it is making reference to the last tower, though.

I wouldn't call these disasters or anything like that. They're bland, sure, but they're not offensive. ROCP is much worse.

Well that's why 'failure' is a good word. It doesn't mean 'disaster' (which would be disastrous for marketing purposes), it just indicates that the complex fails to live up to some standard.

Oh right - truth in adverstising - doesn't work. Never mind.

These buildings aren't beautiful but at least they have one of the more urban podiums i've seen on a new building in the last few years - four floors all around. Also there is an attention to detail at ground level that clearly shows - a big example of which is the metal cladding seen on pinnacle's ground level pillars as compared to so many other projects bare concrete pillars.

All in all, no beauty queens but definitely a healthy addition to what was a derelict swath of land.

^ The towers aren't anything special, but so far the streetscape and landscaping are pretty good in what is a fairly hostile urban environment - sidewalks on the Yonge Street side are very wide.

Personally I don't mind this tower even though that birds eye rendering makes it look awful. It's everything around it that bothers me. And I have trouble blaming green glass--there's plenty of great buildings with green glass (though I can't think of any in TO). And Page and Steele put a lot of care into Success Tower: it originally was to go where the 'L' Tower is going. Imagine what they would be building if this wasn't a cast-off.
I know it's a horrible way to think but all these new condos south of the Gardiner just look awful. Anything with clean design is welcome in my mind. Hopefully the next generation of buildings will overshadow this mess.

An 800 footer by, say, SOM on the site of the Westin Harbour Castle's "Convention Center" would be a nice start to covering up some of the banality.

Back