Block the MINT cluster from what? The city doesn't stop at the financial district. There's no reason to restrict high rises between Front and Queen's Quay. Toronto's just doing the same thing as New York, Chicago, Singapore, Sydney, and Hong Kong.

Don't criticize this development because of its height, criticize it because it's ugly.

I don't think this development is ugly. Its just a pretty standard cookie cutter condo.

Its also tall and adds density, which I personally like.

It's ugly: 50 floors of butt ugly green glass and concrete!

Developers that read this board here's what we need on the waterfront: a wall of 20-100 stunning 40-80 story condo towers with a minimum of Peter Clewes-calibre architecture!

(My pipe-dream vision: From St Catherine's to Oshawa a nonstop wall of towers along the shore of Lake Ontario:)

It's ugly: 50 floors of butt ugly green glass and concrete!

Developers that read this board here's what we need on the waterfront: a wall of 20-100 stunning 40-80 story condo towers with a minimum of Peter Clewes-calibre architecture!

(My pipe-dream vision: From St Catherine's to Oshawa a nonstop wall of towers along the shore of Lake Ontario:)

Clewes designs with style - why would you blame a project like this on him? More than that though - it's tough enough for architects getting blamed for disappointing people with their designs, but it's ridiculous to take a swipe at an architect for a design that he didn't even create. I might as well criticize Royson James for your thoughtless post.

^I am not bashing Clewes I am praising him: I think his work is fantastic. What I meant is that all developers should use Clewes's calibre architecture at a minimum! Imagine if the "worst" was Clewes (which is damn good btw) what would absolutely stunning "best" Toronto architecture be like?

Currently, in Toronto Clewes is an A while Page and Steele (Pinnacle architect i believe) is an F. Teeple is also an A, Quadrangle a B, Core a B, etc.

So I'm not dissing Clewes folks:)

Okay - I see. The way the sentence was worded, it can be read either way.

Block the MINT cluster from what? The city doesn't stop at the financial district. There's no reason to restrict high rises between Front and Queen's Quay. Toronto's just doing the same thing as New York, Chicago, Singapore, Sydney, and Hong Kong.

Don't criticize this development because of its height, criticize it because it's ugly.

Truer words were never spoken on this thread.

My opinion.....

Is that the towers aren't really ugly but they're also not that attractive either. Somewhere inbetween. It's just there's almost no variety among the 4 of them in terms of design and architecture style. And I think we're all sick of green glass by now anyhow.

It hasn't got much attention because it looks exactly like phase 1 and 2. Yawn.

well, no it isnt exactly like phase 1 & 2... even those completed towers are not twins. I mean there are 2 options when building a multi tower project: either they will be exact copies of each other or they will take similar elements and arrange them in slightly different combinations. Option 2 is what we have here. It doesnt make sense for each tower to be of completely different style, so logically there is no point in complaining that they look too much alike. I will go against the majority here and say that I quite like the 2 completed towers and the renders of the two remaining towers. I will guarantee that interest in this one will gain momentum based on its height... no way anybody is going to ignore 157m. In some ways I agree that it will be a shame to lose that open view of the bank towers, but look at the wasteland we had to endure to have that view in the first place. Just think of all the new angles we will have for density photos in the near future...

Is that the towers aren't really ugly but they're also not that attractive either. Somewhere inbetween. It's just there's almost no variety among the 4 of them in terms of design and architecture style. And I think we're all sick of green glass by now anyhow.

Some people here are sick of green glass. Why try to declare that 'all' here are anything in particular? If anything, all here don't agree on much.

bring on the green glass

Yeah, bring back the green glass. Resurrect the Anglo-Canada Insurance Building on St. Clair

March 6

Looking north with the ACC on the left and the Royal Bank tower beyond the ACC. They are working on the fourth level of the podium.
2320256496_14ec7876c1_b.jpg

Looking northeast.
2320256504_a2421bc637_b.jpg

cool shots man!

anyone know why they left half the hole empty while they are already working 4 floors above grade? Seems strange that they would build in this manner even if that is where the final tower is supposed to sit... anybody have a site plan handy?

Back