News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

It's 11 minutes after the GO train, that the shuttle arrives at York. With 4 minutes for the GO Train to travel to Downsview Park, that gives 7 minutes to walk into the subway station, down all the way to the platform, wait for a subway train that only comes (in AM peak) every 5 minutes, take the subway 2 stops (about 4 minutes), and come all the way up out of the station. There's no way the extra GO ride and subway is faster. If you just miss a subway train, you could still be at Downsview Park getting on your suwbay train, when the shuttle bus is already finished.
who subsidizes the shuttle then? York U? Perhaps they could subsidize the TTC transfer instead?

Maybe York could subsidize it, if the PRESTO infrastructure allowed for it. I'm sure they could work out a deal with the TTC, given that it's basically free money for unused capacity from the TTC's perspective. The problem at the moment isn't a money issue, it's an infrastructure issue.

Even if the difference is only a few minutes, a double-digit percentage fare hike for a longer trip seems like a pretty raw deal, especially for students.

Does anyone here know what track the weekend Nigeria Excursion trains embark from at Union? I know it is usually the same track every weekend.

I'm kind of scratching my head at this. I've had no problems arriving at Oakville, and simply jumping into a taxi at the taxistand. How is this easier? The post itself talks about having to wait for minutes. Why wait?

And what's dropping a pin - that sounds kind of rude to me?

I'm kind of scratching my head at this. I've had no problems arriving at Oakville, and simply jumping into a taxi at the taxistand. How is this easier? The post itself talks about having to wait for minutes. Why wait?
Aren't taxis more expensive?

Aren't taxis more expensive?
No idea. Taxis aren't particularly expensive. Both are surely more expensive than the bus, which I take if there's no big gap, or doesn't go where I need quickly.

Time is valuable. Don't want to have to wait. Also I keep hearing horror stories about Lift and Uber.

And what's dropping a pin - that sounds kind of rude to me?

I don't see the exact phrase you're referring to, so it could be 2 different things:
1. Marking a pickup location which is someplace other than your current location. Uber and most others represent this with a pin (as used in sewing) that you stick into the "map" below.
2. Services have begun trialing a queue at very popular pickup locations. You receive a 6 digit code (called a PIN) which you give to the driver. The driver then receives your trip information. So instead of finding a specific Uber/Lyft vehicle, you can take any of them from the queue.

Last edited:
We use Uber to get to the GO station when we're going to be gone for a while -- you can only park for 48 hours. Local transit isn't an easy option for us.

No idea. Taxis aren't particularly expensive. Both are surely more expensive than the bus, which I take if there's no big gap, or doesn't go where I need quickly.

Time is valuable. Don't want to have to wait.

I think the big advantage is during the AM peak. Someone can order the Lyft while they're eating their breakfast, and it's at their door by the time they're done, and they get dropped off at the front of the GO station. No having to try and find a parking spot, and no having to walk to a bus stop and wait for the bus, only to have it meander through your entire subdivision before making its way to the GO station.

This is likely going to become the dominant model for suburban transit, only using Shared Autonomous Vehicles instead.

Also I keep hearing horror stories about Lift and Uber.

Pretty sure there are enough horror stories about taxis to fill a book, so it's not like the alternative to Uber/Lyft is much better.

I think the big advantage is during the AM peak.
If your aren't starting at the station, sure. But at the station, you never even know when you are going to get off the train ... even if you wait until the last second, you never know when you'll be stuck with the 10-minute GO shuffle, when they overshoot the platform by a few inches, and the engineer has to get out, walk to the other end of the train, and back the train into position

Pretty sure there are enough horror stories about taxis to fill a book, so it's not like the alternative to Uber/Lyft is much better.
I'm not sure how working with a foreign-owned corporation, is ever better, let alone much better, than working with local companies. I've not once ever heard any horror stories about Oakville Taxi.

And yet even in a small town like Oakville, the police have charged Lyft drivers with sexual assault.

I've not once ever heard any horror stories about Oakville Taxi.
From a quick Google: https://toronto.citynews.ca/2015/03/13/oakville-taxi-driver-accused-of-being-impaired/
Burlington, but close enough: https://globalnews.ca/news/4614849/burlington-taxi-driver-charged-sexual-assault/

Back