News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The Conservatives got no seats in in the largest city in the country and barely had any seats in the GTA which has more people than Alberta and Saskatchewan combined and all we are hearing is western alienation. Albertans have always voted Conservative by wide margins and blaming this phenomena on Trudeau is baffling.
Based on what I can see the Liberals did worse than expected west of Ontario due to Justin Trudeau being very unpopular but much better than expected in Ontario due to the conservative brand becoming quite unpopular.

Personally think the next conservative leader has to be a person not from the West.

Based on what I can see the Liberals did worse than expected west of Ontario due to Justin Trudeau being very unpopular but much better than expected in Ontario due to the conservative brand becoming quite unpopular.

Personally think the next conservative leader has to be a person not from the West.
I think the next leader will be from the West, and they will abandon the idea of a French speaking leader.
This is especially true if there is some type of electoral changes designed to harm conservatives in close races.
Scheer was born in Ottawa and Harper was born in Toronto. I suspect the West figures it's their turn now.

I think the next leader will be from the West, and they will abandon the idea of a French speaking leader.
This is especially true if there is some type of electoral changes designed to harm conservatives in close races.
Scheer was born in Ottawa and Harper was born in Toronto. I suspect the West figures it's their turn now.

If Patrick Brown Or Elliot were Premier right now ( as its clear they would have won the election anyways) would the Ontario results been different?

It doesn't matter where they were born. Harper and Scheer are westerners through and through.

The Conservatives find themselves in a bind. Their support is highly regional and rural and barely a third of the country supports their values. If they move towards the centre to attract more support they risk alienating their base and parties like the People's Party and Reform can spring up.

This western alienation thing is weird. For one thing, Alberta isn't the West. I doubt that progressive British Columbians and Manitobans are feeling all that alienated and they probably don't appreciate Alberta appropriating the label "the West". It's not western alienation, it's Alberta (and to a lesser extent Saskatchewan) alienation. They had their guy in office for almost a decade and the economy was on fire there for most of that time at the expense of the central, more populated part of the country (textbook Dutch disease). Nobody was talking about Ontario alienation back then.

On the CBC coverage Naheed Nenshi kept calling Alberta the engine of the country. It is factually not the engine of the country. If we have to apply that label to any single province that's undoubtedly Ontario. Alberta's alienation seems to stem from the fact that their dominant political philosophy isn't supported by most Canadians, and the fact that they seem to have a view of their province as inevitably becoming the dominant region of the country. Any bumps in that road are viewed with hostility at the parts of the country that they think are artificially holding them back. It is, at the risk of making people feel more alienated, delusions of grandeur.

Sheer may stay, which is unfortunate

He's probably resigning the leadership today. Announcement scheduled later today.

This is an idea.... If they want to drop below a three digit seat count again.

They need someone who can win in Ontario. And that means ending the death grip the reformers have on the party. Running more angry Westerners up the flagpole isn't going to help. And simply being born somewhere, doesn't change who you represent. One would think, you, as an immigrant, would understand this.

So it seems Justin Trudeau calculus on electoral reform paid off

Well, yes and no. If it were about proportional representation or other such alternative systems, vote deficits would be even *less* likely to equate to lost mandate, if we consider the likely strategic alliances...

This western alienation thing is weird. For one thing, Alberta isn't the West. I doubt that progressive British Columbians and Manitobans are feeling all that alienated and they probably don't appreciate Alberta appropriating the label "the West". It's not western alienation, it's Alberta (and to a lesser extent Saskatchewan) alienation. They had their guy in office for almost a decade and the economy was on fire there for most of that time at the expense of the central, more populated part of the country (textbook Dutch disease). Nobody was talking about Ontario alienation back then.

They didn't just ignore the de-industrialization of Ontario. They openly mocked the concept of Dutch Disease, and accused anyone using the term of being unpatriotic and then went on to attack the Premier.

Albertans are just maple flavoured Republicans at this point. Same dirty politics. Same anti-intellectual, reactionary conservatism. And same nonsense about "alienation", the minute they are out of power.

I'm really curious if this election actually prompts some soul-searching in the CPC. They can be Canada's conservative party or Alberta's front. Can't be both. Time for them to choose.

Voter turnout was down. Where are those millenials we were promised? https://www.theglobeandmail.com/pol...-voter-turnout-dips-compared-with-enthusiasm/

It isn't a change election - people stayed home.

There is a general sense of ennui - but I guess in the end Canadians overall looked at what's happening around the world and rather have the imperfect known, relatively middle-of-the-road government. It's all fairly conservative that way.

I'm really curious if this election actually prompts some soul-searching in the CPC. They can be Canada's conservative party or Alberta's front. Can't be both. Time for them to choose.

I think there is limited space for movement on that part - the dominant doctrine of the CPC is to have the smallest possible group of supporters vs. big tent approach (the old PCs). They will find it extremely difficult to soften that AB/SK core (and risk another split in the CPC).

AoD

Last edited:
Well we got the result as predicted and I was totally wrong about NDP and Conservative popular support leading to a very weak Liberal Minority. The NDP got destroyed and the Conservatives underperformed in Ontario.

While a loss overall for the Liberal party in terms of losing the majority of seats in Parliament, a big win for the left-wing of the Liberal party tent as their policy interests will likely be the only focal point of government at this point. Bad news for voters such as myself who sit kind of in the centre-right in Canadian politics.

It's tough to make any predictions moving forward as Canada will be acted upon by external forces in ways that will shift voter sentiment in the coming years; however, I agree with comments here that all the parties need to do some soul searching regarding concentration of regional interests. The globe had an infographic showing the levels of greenhouse gas emissions by province over time. You just can't ignore that elephant in the room with emissions skyrocketing in Alberta and declining almost everywhere else in Canada. I personally don't feel any need for Canada to meet our international agreements regarding overall emissions; however, overall it's a problem that needs to be tackled and that Canadians want to see more clear action on.

Being honest a minority government was for the best as it will allow the Prime Minister be much more accountable to the Canadian people.

Not likely. They can pretty much run whatever policy they want through now at either extreme.
NDP will support their more left wing promises, and the CPC will support their pipeline.

It's tough to make any predictions moving forward as Canada will be acted upon by external forces in ways that will shift voter sentiment in the coming years; however, I agree with comments here that all the parties need to do some soul searching regarding concentration of regional interests. The globe had an infographic showing the levels of greenhouse gas emissions by province over time. You just can't ignore that elephant in the room with emissions skyrocketing in Alberta and declining almost everywhere else in Canada. I personally don't feel any need for Canada to meet our international agreements regarding overall emissions; however, overall it's a problem that needs to be tackled and that Canadians want to see more clear action on.

The problem is - what is the consensus solution to that issue? The regional rhetoric has poisoned the well for even middle of the road national compromise.

AoD

Last edited:

Back