News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I'm saddest about the one on Yonge north of Bloor, though truth be told, I'd rather have Britnell back.

Britnell would be infinitely preferable; in the alternative, a good coffee shop would be welcome.

I really don't understand people's affection for the Starbucks brand.

I disliked it even before I tried it, on the premise that the name doesn't make me think of a beautiful or homey coffee shop, it makes me think of a character in Battlestar Gallactica.

The last incarnation of that show was actually good; but still doesn't draw an association with coffee shops for me.

That said, I also don't care much for the coffee; the invented names for sizes and drinks, the generally stale and mediocre selection of pastries; or its mass corporate nature.

As far as I'm concerned the world would be a better place if Starbucks went under; and can they please take McDonalds with them, even if it does have the better coffee!

Last edited:
Britnell would be infinitely preferable; in the alternative, a good coffee shop would be welcome.

I really don't understand people's affection for the Starbucks brand.

Back when I could still drink espressos, I thought their beans were extremely overroasted. Good espressos are rare in Toronto; most of the time, they are merely tolerable, but the most horribly bitter ones I've ever had were at Dineen's on Yonge St. until I gave them up after concluding that they were just not having an off day. I had one like that once too at Grano restaurant - which is also where I had previously tasted the best espresso I had ever had in the city... so much for consistency.

I enjoy it because I love my Quad Espresso.

You can't really get a decent espresso anywhere else in Toronto unless you go Downtown. I'm in the Clairlea area of Scarborough.

Albeit it's another chain................but have you tried D-Spot (more of a dessert place, but does do coffee).

They're over in the plaza off Lebovic

For a non-chain offer, there are some not too far from you, I haven't tried them all.

But....

Nostalgia Coffee Co. is over on O'Connor, not too far from St. Clair.

If your willing to take transit, Mofer Coffee at Coxwell and Danforth is excellent.

Back when I could still drink espressos, I thought their beans were extremely overroasted. Good espressos are rare in Toronto; most of the time, they are merely tolerable, but the most horribly bitter ones I've ever had were at Dineen's on Yonge St. until I gave them up after concluding that they were just not having an off day. I had one like that once too at Grano restaurant - which is also where I had previously tasted the best espresso I had ever had in the city... so much for consistency.

100% on the over-roasted.

Not just bitter; coffee should have a hint of that, and tastes vary; but borderline acrid.

Now they also do a 'Blonde' but it's the opposite end, downright watery.

Albeit it's another chain................but have you tried D-Spot (more of a dessert place, but does do coffee).

They're over in the plaza off Lebovic

For a non-chain offer, there are some not too far from you, I haven't tried them all.

But....

Nostalgia Coffee Co. is over on O'Connor, not too far from St. Clair.

If your willing to take transit, Mofer Coffee at Coxwell and Danforth is excellent.

I will look into it. I tend to stay away from Warden and Eglinton right now because of the construction. Lebovic is out of the way so to speak.

Mostly I am up by the Scarborough Town Center now.

Starbucks recently took over the old Nutella spot in the Loblaws at Church & Carlton. I think that would be a good plan right now in these uncertain times. Ride on the coattails of a spot that has existing traffic flow instead of stand alone spots.

Starbucks recently took over the old Nutella spot in the Loblaws at Church & Carlton. I think that would be a good plan right now in these uncertain times. Ride on the coattails of a spot that has existing traffic flow instead of stand alone spots.

Loblaws had a starbucks in pretty much every store now actually.

Loblaws stores are also one place where you will find a washroom still open these days and easily accessible.

Loblaws stores are also one place where you will find a washroom still open these days and easily accessible.

Well, most of the major supermarkets have washrooms you can use; but only Loblaws, Whole Foods and Farm Boy consistently make them highly visible; and decent finishes.

Metro and Sobeys often have them next to the access to the back or still, sometimes in the back, but they are open to the public (that's weird for the record as you wander around the warehouse (as the back is often called in industry jargon) as a member of the public and staff don't bat an eye, they just point....first door on your left.

Those washrooms are often in less than ideal condition.

New Freshcos are all built with a public-facing washroom.

Don't think I've seen them public-facing in most No Frills; though you can use them if you ask.

More and more Metro's too.

Something I've discussed w/industry professionals is that you don't want your store to mimic other stores/brands too closely.

It diminishes loyalty.

If people want a coffee while buying their groceries............they are weird............but you should sell them one anyway; but you should have an exclusive arrangement with a regional chain, and/or do your own.

Last edited:
McEwan's in One Bloor East (next to the Chick-Fil-A) has an accessible washroom.

However, you will have to make a purchase before you can use it.

Back