News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Found a good catalogue on a similar website for Montreal projects, including buildings, public realm, public transit etc. Montreal's current building boom is often overlooked with the distraction that English Canada has with the GTA/Vancouver affordability crises:
https://forum.agoramtl.com/c/projets-immobiliers/8

Thought it would be an interesting link for those looking for a different set of designs and architecture that we don't typically see in Calgary. Lots of urban "big city" development examples we really don't get here often (or in Toronto and Vancouver either).

My 5 minute skim confirms Montreal certainly isn't afraid of the mid-rise rectangle with zero set-backs - to great benefit IMO. So many "boring" new buildings but completely competent in their integration to the urban fabric. Calgary would do well if we had more design influence from places that get into that style -boring but competent. Also a good reminder that boxes don't always need to be 45 storeys tall with a weird roof point and questionable ground-level integration.

I would be curious on how the apartment/condo unit design looks within projects like these - do they resemble the contemporary Toronto/Calgary/Vancouver style of largely small studio / 1 / 2 bedroom units? Or do they lean more into some of Montreal's history, with many small but family-designed apartments? As Calgary becomes a larger and larger city, we really need to crack the code to build better units that aren't necessarily bigger (and therefore prohibitively more expensive). This would serve us well in the long run - perhaps Montreal has more to teach us than Vancouver and Toronto on this.

A few random project examples from Montreal:
I really like this first one. Reminds me of what Westbrook and TOD actually should be. It's a transit-integrated project in partnership with a housing access program, the STM (Montreal's transit agency) and some community recreation amenities built in. Even if Northland had an LRT station AND they built their original plan, it would only be a fraction of as good as this would function/look.
1638904771744.png

Nice, boring and competent boxes:
1638903504255.png

1638903607587.png

A urban master-planned community at scale:
1638903654712.png

It'll be interesting to see if this area ever takes off in terms of redevelopment. At some level it's got a fair bit going for it and the area is reaching the age where redevelopment should start happening. On the other hand, the area has a rough reputation and isn't a terribly attractive corner of the city. I'd love to see that change though, but first we gotta replace all those strip malls on 17th. I love the diversity of restaurants and businesses, but the urban fabric sucks.

It'll be interesting to see if this area ever takes off in terms of redevelopment. At some level it's got a fair bit going for it and the area is reaching the age where redevelopment should start happening. On the other hand, the area has a rough reputation and isn't a terribly attractive corner of the city. I'd love to see that change though, but first we gotta replace all those strip malls on 17th. I love the diversity of restaurants and businesses, but the urban fabric sucks.
17th Ave SE feels like it's close to making that turn. Reputations die hard unfortunately, but it is slowly getting better. Agree 100% the business diversity is great, and the terrible urban fabric. All those parking lots facing 17th really kill things.

I'm curious... did a broad based land use redesignation plan accompany the design of the Max Purple BRT? That was the one thing I thought was well done with the Green Line design. The City of Calgary was taking steps to make sure the zoning for TOD accompanied the transit planning.

If it hasn't been already, 17th Ave SE should all be re-zoned to allow for 6 story, mixed use with sidewalk facing retail along the entire Max Purple corridor. As was mentioned previously, it's got a bit of a reputation but it is so close to the downtown core and now has high quality transit access so the reputation should start to shift. Some high quality rentals going up along the corridor would be a great kick start.

Pre-zoning can freeze the properties, ending up with the opposite of the intended effect. With triple net leases, pre-zoning can also drive out the business diversity and lower business occupancy. Just look at the 17th Ave SW Popeyes.

Now, planning documents in place that allow for quick process that isn't of a long drawn out battle, those are great.

And now for the opposite of suburban sprawl....... Calgary River Wave Surfpark.

Renewed optimism for river wave park amid Calgary downtown revitalization​

View attachment 310346View attachment 310347View attachment 310348
I missed this when it first came out. Has there been any update recently?

Website says affordable housing, not seniors. Looks great, curious how much the VE process will water that down...
Sorry. I stand corrected. If I read it more carefully it says...
Through composition that includes 1, 2 + 3 bedroom units types the project responds the to socio-demographics of the surrounding areas which are increasingly family (single and dual parent) and seniors orientated.
Southview will be an Aging in Place environment by accounting for a fully inclusive site including circulation, barrier-free units in excess of 21% of the total, and overall unit composition and design that fosters internal flexibility potential for live / work situations.

Back