News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

That's actually incredible news! I've always felt like Calgary has lacked non O&G manufacturing. Let's keep it up!
Everything is in Calgary for there to be a larger manufacturing sector here. We have the largest population base for a wide area (access to qualified talent), a well regarded trades school, relatively inexpensive industrial and residential (to attract those that aren't here) land, and access to a decent transportation network (Airport, Rail, Roads). I don't claim to know much about manufacturing but that's just my uneducated view.

Last edited:
Everything is in Calgary for there to be a larger manufacturing sector here. We have the largest population base for a wide area (access to qualified talent), a well regarded trades school, relatively inexpensive industrial and residential (to attract those that aren't here) land, and access to a decent transportation network (Airport, Rail, Roads). I don't claim to know much about manufacturing but that's just my uneducated view.
I worked at Nortel in Calgary in the 90's when it was the largest manufacturing location outside of Ontario by dollar value. The big impediments to manufacturing in Calgary mostly cost, workforce and location:
  • manufacturing is low margin which means it requires scale. That favors larger facilities which are generally in places with large populations and/or a long history in manufacturing
  • despite comparatively lower levels of unionization, wages are higher in Calgary than almost everywhere else in Canada
  • Calgary doesn't have a large pool of relatively low skilled labor
  • Calgary doesn't have much of a local supply chain network and is extremely distant from established supply chains, despite the road and rail networks. Southern Ontario's only competitive advantage in manufacturing, and it is a big one, is proximity to American supply chains

That said, some niche manufacturing does and could thrive in Calgary.

Damn I was JUST about to post that.

Amazing news.

So not only will they be restarting production on the water bomber but looks like De Havilland is moving their HQ from Toronto to Calgary

Calgary Herald: Varcoe: Calgary awaits takeoff of new 'Super Scooper' plane as De Havilland Canada bases HQ in city.

So not only will they be restarting production on the water bomber but looks like De Havilland is moving their HQ from Toronto to Calgary

Calgary Herald: Varcoe: Calgary awaits takeoff of new 'Super Scooper' plane as De Havilland Canada bases HQ in city.
That's a nice little silver lining to summer smoke season.

Wow from zero to a billion in less than 3 years. That’s very impressive.

I use Neo and have been quite happy so far, think I get my reward at lunch today, made enough "punches" at the local watering hole lol. The one thing I'm concerned about with them is that another bank actually holds the products for them. The Neo Mastercard is basically just an ATB card, and their savings account is from a bank I've never heard of (Concentra Bank).

I use Neo and have been quite happy so far, think I get my reward at lunch today, made enough "punches" at the local watering hole lol. The one thing I'm concerned about with them is that another bank actually holds the products for them. The Neo Mastercard is basically just an ATB card, and their savings account is from a bank I've never heard of (Concentra Bank).
Why did you switch? And do you still need to deal with the big four banks at all?

Why did you switch? And do you still need to deal with the big four banks at all?
A friend works for them and we both got $50 when I signed up, paid for lunch. Plus, as long as you pay the card off each month they give you free money. Neo is a rewards based card, and each restaurant / store whatever, decides what cashback amount you get. Some places are 10% on purchases!

I still have RBC, have been with them for 30 years and they work great. I used to use ATB but has some concerns with their security (had lots of fradulent purchases on my mastercard for example). Plus ATB has the worse software, their shit always glitched on payments and cost me money, so to hell wirh them!

Back