News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Another random nobody tweeting fodder…..why doesn’t someone here tweet that Vancouver is out of the running? Same difference
They have more inside contacts than I do given they report on soccer as their job. Could their information be incorrect? Absolutely. That said, multiple people reporting on it is something. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. If someone here is connected to the soccer world and has an inside scoop, feel free to post/tweet it though.

Commonwealth Stadium has a regulation soccer field.
The field, yes, but the infrastructure around does not compare to most modern arenas, including having all seats covered, seats closer to the field, etc...
I'd estimate the reno costs in the $70-100M to adequate it to the standards you'd expect for most World Cup arenas. Now, is that possible? Maybe... You could very well lease the Stadium, sign in naming rights and work a solution for this, but it would need to have already been proposed to make a difference (if that is the real reason... And it could've already been proposed)

A renovation for the stadium should've been proposed in order to secure the bid. Once the bid is secure, the funding could be found.
why would the selection committee award games to a city that didn’t have a suitable stadium - among other things - and didn’t have committed funds in place to host them instead of awarding them to cities that have those facilities and commitments in place?

A lot of cities are hosting World Cup watch parties on Thursday for the announcement.
Not hearing anything from here.

This whole experience has turned into such a downer with how things transpired from reports.

One report I read is Canada is only getting 8 games - each city (Van and TO) with four.

There's a desire to have more US games/cities. One beneficiary sounds like Kansas City - a Midwest city with a metro population just a bit bigger than ours, with much longer flight times to other potential hosts.

In terms of their airport, they have less passenger traffic than we do (less than 6M in 2019 while we were 8.15M) and they are not a hub for any airline. But there are some influential soccer people from there.

What happened to Edmonton hosting Canada's first match with the storyline of Davies playing at home (his dream) liked he said when leading off the United Bid at the FIFA Congress as a 17 year old?

Ya, I'm disappointed where this is heading.

Back