News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I'm confused - how does the Trudeau airport branch get commissioned this fall? Do they just shuttle back and forth between Trudeau and Marie-Curie?

I'm confused - how does the Trudeau airport branch get commissioned this fall? Do they just shuttle back and forth between Trudeau and Marie-Curie?
I think it's just a case of bad grammar. I assume they meant to have written:
We are working with Aéroports de Montréal to align and optimize the new schedule, and to be able to confirm, *this fall, *when this REM branch will be commissioned.

Although the tweet acts like TransLink hasn't had integrated fares for several years.
The exception for Translink would be the WCE. It flies under the radar compared to GO/EXO because it comprises only a single line.
I also think that Translink's decision to make bus trips single-zone fares vs. Skytrain supports what the tweet states.
Otherwise, yes of the big 3 cities Vancouver has had the most integrated transit for years.

The exception for Translink would be the WCE. It flies under the radar compared to GO/EXO because it comprises only a single line.
I also think that Translink's decision to make bus trips single-zone fares vs. Skytrain supports what the tweet states.
Otherwise, yes of the big 3 cities Vancouver has had the most integrated transit for years.
Nuances yes, and TransLink chose to keep buses single fare which I think is smart.

One exception for TransLink is that if you start your trip on a bus and pay cash, the ticket you receive cannot be used to enter turnstiles at SkyTrain stations, so you need to pay again if you transfer (that saved the capital cost of changing ticket machines on thousands of buses). The solution is to use a Compass card or a contactless credit card (tap). Compass card has a lower fare than the credit card (or cash).

After all the bad REM/Blue Line news as of late, it's nice to see an actually good transit development coming out of MTL.
Meh, the whole REM is supposed to be completed at the same time, just parts later than expected. Blue Line seems further along than it has been in the past.

Meh, the whole REM is supposed to be completed at the same time, just parts later than expected. Blue Line seems further along than it has been in the past.
Personally I feel that the transit mood in Mtl went from incredibly bright to pretty gloomy over the past few months. Besides the delays, there was the REM East cancellation (it's hard to believe that the scope or original timeline will resemble the original project once transferred to the CAQ). the Dorval REM extension seemed like a no-brainer, yet it's not happening. I would have agreed that the Blue Line seemed like it was finally proceeding, but not anymore. The ballooning costs and setbacks seem aren't reassuring. Lastly I would say that the Orange line extension seemed promising for a while, but not anymore.

Mtl will still have the most extensive rapid transit system in the country for a while after REM A is completed, but it seemed for a while like the city was going to have a much higher level of rapid transit transit in a couple decades.

Personally I feel that the transit mood in Mtl went from incredibly bright to pretty gloomy over the past few months. Besides the delays, there was the REM East cancellation (it's hard to believe that the scope or original timeline will resemble the original project once transferred to the CAQ). the Dorval REM extension seemed like a no-brainer, yet it's not happening. I would have agreed that the Blue Line seemed like it was finally proceeding, but not anymore. The ballooning costs and setbacks seem aren't reassuring. Lastly I would say that the Orange line extension seemed promising for a while, but not anymore.

Mtl will still have the most extensive rapid transit system in the country for a while after REM A is completed, but it seemed for a while like the city was going to have a much higher level of rapid transit transit in a couple decades.

There's a study underway for a transit link between Côte-Vertu and Bois-Franc.

There's a study underway for a transit link between Côte-Vertu and Bois-Franc.
Which could be an express bus.

Studies for the metro extension were done in the 1970s and 1980s. The Orange line extension from Bonaventure was announced as terminating at Bois-Franc as early as 1980. The MUC announced it in 1985 - along with the Cavendish connection.

Given the recent tunnel extension most of the way to Metro Poirier, finish the line, and meeting the REM in Val-Royal.

Last edited:

I wouldn't say most extensive. It may not be super frequent, but the regular GO services + UP Express have real value, as do the streetcars even if they aren't full rapid transit. The Metro is great but Montreal needs far more. That being said the REM could very well get a number of extensions after it opens if its seen as a success which I am sure it will be. Look at how much SkyTrain Vancouver built over the years, REM lines could be similarly quick to build as phase 1 has shown us.

Good for Montreal on it's new fare integration.
The "zone" system is by far the best of all options. It is equitable, makes sense to the general public, and doesn't require a math degree to figure out your fare.

Back