News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Again with the Niagara Trains..

I am not sure why but there are so many issues with the people onboard. moreso than your average GO train. Everytime I take the train to Niagara there is always an alarm pressed or some other form of passenger related delay.
Alarms are pressed on many trains, it’s so common on the Niagara train because there’s a lot of tourists on it, rather than regular GO riders on other trains.

There was apparently another several hour delay with trapped passengers and zero information last night.

Story ends, they never did unload, but they were moving again another hour later.

Most significant is this series of long delays is being talked about in the general public.
I was at a wedding last weekend and I mentioned I took GO to get there and people were laughing about how I was lucky that I made it there on time. These are people who never use GO, but you can be sure now they never will. They've heard about how it's in such a terrible state right now they would never ever consider it. And they are right too. The risk of some 3 hour delay trapped on a shitty train is not worth it.

I would say GO is officially in a state of decline at this point. They are embarrassingly failing at responding to this too. It's shocking, but the new reality that driving is on the way up and transit on the way down, and a lot of that is on the transit agencies failing at every single thing they can. GO now is starting to look like the dark day of Gordon Chong and commuters counting on the train being significantly late to work at least once per week, every week.

The system is broken.

Last edited:
There was apparently another several hour delay with trapped passengers and zero information last night.

Story ends, they never did unload, but they were moving again another hour later.

Most significant is this series of long delays is being talked about in the general public.
I was at a wedding last weekend and I mentioned I took GO to get there and people were laughing about how I was lucky that I made it there on time. These are people who never use GO, but you can be sure now they never will. They've heard about how it's in such a terrible state right now they would never ever consider it. And they are right too. The risk of some 3 hour delay trapped on a shitty train is not worth it.

I would say GO is officially in a state of decline at this point. They are embarrassingly failing at responding to this too. It's shocking, but the new reality that driving is on the way up and transit on the way down, and a lot of that is on the transit agencies failing at every single thing they can. GO now is starting to look like the dark day of Gordon Chong and commuters counting on the train being significantly late to work at least once per week, every week.

The system is broken.
I've actually considered on apply to GO after maybe a bit at CN because of slightly better schedules/ work life balance but less pay but after seeing how the management seems to not give much info to crews, crews not knowing whats going on and the state of things it might end up being a hard pass for me... I rather work on a 24hr spareboard than deal with bad management...

Last edited:

The system is broken.
They’re also taking a hit with their weekly cancellation of service to the USBT. I can’t believe it’s happening again this weekend. Every weekend this brand new terminal is useless and no one at Metrolinx seems to see any urgency in fixing that. Something is indeed wrong and maybe the decision makers need to be replace. Phil Verster and Rick Leary have to be the worst transit CEOs in this province. Coming in when the TTC and GO Transit we’re on the up and absolutely cratering public and employee satisfaction during their tenure.

G’ah I hate GO Transit. Tomorrow 10am I have a meeting at the International Centre at the Malton GO Station. So I thought, to avoid highway traffic I’d take the train from Union to Malton. But no dice. Only GO Bus service, which is just as slow as my car and more pricey vs. free parking. Dammit.

They’re also taking a hit with their weekly cancellation of service to the USBT.

With the traffic in the USBT area so bad at times, they should consider adding a stop before it gets there.
Back in the olden days when GO used the terminal up by Bay and Dundas, they had a posted stop for all incoming buses at the corner of University and Wellington Streets. Lots of people would get off there.
We may need a modern version of that at somewhere like Harbour and Lower Simcoe or York Streets, at least to give people an option.

G’ah I hate GO Transit. Tomorrow 10am I have a meeting at the International Centre at the Malton GO Station. So I thought, to avoid highway traffic I’d take the train from Union to Malton. But no dice. Only GO Bus service, which is just as slow as my car and more pricey vs. free parking. Dammit.
What about Union to Weston or the airport via UPX and then an Uber?

Before Covid the first westbound from Union used to arrive at Malton at 9:22 AM, and there were 8 westbounds before rush hour (4 pm). But now there are only 7, with the first arriving at Malton at 10:02.

Though 10:02 AM isn't that late - better to beg forgiveness than spend an hour on the HiWay. Shame, as it's only 39 minutes from College station to Malton station, arriving at 10:02.

On the other hand, it's only a 10-minute bus ride (MiWay or BiWay) from the UPE atTerminal 1 to the International Centre. When I did similar business trips on transit, I often just grabbed a taxi for the last mile - work was happy, as it was still less than charging mileage.

Heading home eastbound from Malton is worse too, there used to be a 2-hour gap (4:14 pm to 6:14 pm) between the mid-day and 5 evening trains. Now it's a 4-hour gap (4:01 pm to 7:59 pm) between the mid-day and 3 evening trains.

Yes - there's even signage these days - https://www.torontopearson.com/en/transportation-and-parking/ride-sharing

Though I find it more convenient to just grab a taxi - rather than having to book something.

Also, it's only a 25-minute walk from Terminal 3 to the International Centre (I'm not aware of a sidewalk from Terminal 1 to Airport Road).
Unless there is a route I can't picture, you'd have to get to T3 and go out the far (north) exit - where the out-of-town vans and limos pool - and walk out American Dr. That end of T3 is actually quite close to Airport Rd.

Unless there is a route I can't picture, you'd have to get to T3 and go out the far (north) exit - where the out-of-town vans and limos pool - and walk out American Dr. That end of T3 is actually quite close to Airport Rd.
Thanks everyone for your help. But it’s ridiculous if that’s what it takes on a weekday morning to get to one of the GTA’s largest venues from downtown Toronto. I’ll just drive my car.

The system is broken.
This was as a result of a vandalism incident that was later deemed to be gunshots fired at a CN freight train running just ahead of the GO.

Considering that the police were roaming around looking for what they thought was an active shooter, it seems prudent to me to not offload the passengers.

Dan

Back