News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I thought the TTC had already leased a new-build warehousing building off the 400? How much space to they need to store crap?

Also, does anyone know if the TTC has calculated the impact of the planned subway projects on their bus needs? I know that the Crosstown and Finch West was supposed to cut the bus fleet by a few hundred buses.. I imagine that the 4 subway projects will also cut bus need fairly significantly as more trips are made on the expanded subway system.
They probably need more space to stock up on stuff since there is over a year wait time for certain parts these days.

Is this the first time they've done single track since ATC finished recently?

light.PNG

Is this the first time they've done single track since ATC finished recently?

View attachment 438572
They have done that for a few months although I guess it's the first time since the whole line was. The last few times they had one train ruining between Lawrence west and Wilson making a stop both directions at Yorkdale. The last time they did it they said trains would run through although they ended up doing it with a shuttle train instead and having everyone change trains cross platform at Lawrence

The TTC is testing all-plastic bus seats on two buses, each from a different supplier.

Terrible idea. A way to drive riders away from the system, by making it less attractive and less comfortable.

On a related note, the other day I observed that the TTC had replaced some ancient wooden benches on the bus platform at Main Street Stn.

They installed the standard metal benches they've been using in the subway for sometime.

Uhhh......metal outside is subject to extreme temperature variation, under direct sun it can burn exposed skin; and in winter its icy cold.

What were they thinking? Metrolinx already has sensible seating for its outside platforms using wood and plastic so they temperature doesn't vary nearly as much.

No wheel re-inventing required here.

Last edited:
Terrible idea. A way to drive riders away from the system, by making it less attractive and less comfortable.
That seems to be the general consensus amongst people I know.

I'm not really a fan of it either.

The TTC has tried non-upholstered seats in the past and also proposed them during the TR design phase. But it seems like it was never a popular idea. I guess with the backdrop of COVID cleaning procedures, they thought they would try again.

That seems to be the general consensus amongst people I know.

I'm not really a fan of it either.

The TTC has tried non-upholstered seats in the past and also proposed them during the TR design phase. But it seems like it was never a popular idea. I guess with the backdrop of COVID cleaning procedures, they thought they would try again.

Same old nonsense; the same way they routinely propose removing transverse seats before most subway car orders. But every time the public gets wind of it, it gets spiked.

At some point, you'd think they'd learn. The public considers the current 'comforts' as the minimum, not the maximum.

Most people would like to see more washrooms, more retail, more escalators (especially in stations that have none or don't have a full 'up' complement); and on trains, many would like to see experiments with high-back seats and arm rests and drink-cup holders.

The latter, I understand, can be a pain to keep clean; but arm rests would potentially solve certain issues on the TTC....... while adding a measure of comfort to boot.

A number of systems in Europe have plastic seats going back to 2012 on my first trip then as well this year. This applies to all type of vehicles. Even seen wooden seats. Not that bad to sit on for long trips.

A lot cheaper to buy as well clean, especially with COVID these days.

A number of systems in Europe have plastic seats going back to 2012 on my first trip then as well this year. This applies to all type of vehicles. Even seen wooden seats. Not that bad to sit on for long trips.
Why do we care about what Europe does? We can do better than a plastic seat on a bus if that's the norm there No body actually wants to sit on a plastic seat and if people think the current one is bad when they are wet a plastic one will be worse. As for using covid cleaning as a necessity, I think we are long past that at this point unless someone has data on the transmission from the bus seat.

Why do we care about what Europe does? We can do better than a plastic seat on a bus if that's the norm there No body actually wants to sit on a plastic seat and if people think the current one is bad when they are wet a plastic one will be worse. As for using covid cleaning as a necessity, I think we are long past that at this point unless someone has data on the transmission from the bus seat.
You can add the NA with plastic seats.

COVID is going to be around for a number of years and to clean seating is very costly as well take time to dry depending how they are clean. No one type of fix.

Cost to fix fiber seats or buy them is a lot higher cost wise than plastic or wood. Look at the seats where TTC had signs tap to they to see how bad they look with those signs gone today. All those seats need to be fix at great cost and wasted time doing so.

yes, it's a terrible thing that most American transit does because they are cheap. we don't need to sink that low we can doer better and should.
COVID is going to be around for a number of years and to clean seating is very costly as well take time to dry depending how they are clean. No one type of fix.
what are you even talking about I asked if ther has been an tramision of it from siting on a buss seat which is why i wenat to know if they actully have to be cleaned for that pirples ort ifg its jus beig cheap like every tranist agbency in the US
Cost to fix fiber seats or buy them is a lot higher cost wise than plastic or wood. Look at the seats where TTC had signs tap to they to see how bad they look with those signs gone today. All those seats need to be fix at great cost and wasted time doing so.
The TTC does it internally and buys large amounts of fabric that it's doesn't cost as much to replace a seat cover. The only reason why you still have the ones that had the [pointles signs on them is becuse the rest of the fabric is fine and is'nt need to be replaced because of that

Covid is spread almost entirely though aerosols, why are we wasting time spraying down seats more than the minimum?

Covid is spread almost entirely though aerosols, why are we wasting time spraying down seats more than the minimum?
Ask TTC, as they know better and well above my pay grade

Back