I like the idea of maybe using a letter (H for hazel or hurontario, but ig hamilton would also want H) though ik metrolinx wants to use letters more for GO. If the line were to get a number i think 10 would be best. Feels far enough removed from the other subway line numbers while still making sense for highway 10
Yonge Street should have been Highway 1, but they only started the highway numbers in Ontario at Highway 2 by 1925. Yonge Street ended up as Highway 11. There is a 11 Bayview bus in Toronto.

From link.
Why does Ontario not have a Highway 1?
A.The exact reason is not clear, but reportedly, Highway 1 was omitted from the 1925 route numbering system to eliminate conflicts between many of Ontario's larger towns, who all demanded to be on a highway bearing the route number "1". Given the geographic shape of Ontario, it would have been impossible for the Department of Highways to number a route that would pass through every major town in Ontario. Rather than risk any accusations of favouritism, the Department decided that they would simply not designate a Highway 1, and thus began the route numbering at 2.

Last edited:
I like the idea of maybe using a letter (H for hazel or hurontario, but ig hamilton would also want H) though ik metrolinx wants to use letters more for GO. If the line were to get a number i think 10 would be best. Feels far enough removed from the other subway line numbers while still making sense for highway 10

But cowtowing to the Highway 10 anachronism thing isn't desirable for an aspiring city, as well as being unnecessary. And if distancing oneself from the Toronto subway is deemed important, using the Miway Hurontario Express bus number 103 would work.

Interesting! Hurontario Street is not a Peel Regional Road.

From link.
1673560524200.png

Yonge Street should have been Highway 1, but they only started the highway numbers in Ontario at Highway 2 by 1925. Yonge Street ended up as Highway 11. There is a 11 Bayview bus in Toronto.

From link.

Not sure where you're going with the Bayview bus being numbered 11 as having any significance to anything (maybe you think 11 should've been assigned to the Yonge subway as per Highway 11) , but the lack of a Highway 1 in Ontario should have been reviewed in the 1950's when the TCH was built and assigned to it instead of Highway 17.

From link.
View attachment 450172
It also doesn't have the desgnation of highway 10 untill north of highway 10 but i think it's close enough
But cowtowing to the Highway 10 anachronism thing isn't desirable for an aspiring city, as well as being unnecessary. And if distancing oneself from the Toronto subway is deemed important, using the Miway Hurontario Express bus number 103 would work.
I don't think 103 works just because it's so long and definitely doesn't fit into the subway numbering scheme at all. Admittedly neither would 10 (kind of my point) but it at least seems a little closer to the current subway numbers while still being distinct for Peel until the subway racks up a few more lines, at which point hopefully Hurontario will be connected by subway. I think line 10 makes more sense than continuing with line 7, 8 or 9 at least. Definitely not a fan of having it as line 10 but makes more sense than other numbers in my mind. Still, i think unless it is fare integrated with the subway (which given the lack of connection i think is pretty safe to assume will not be happening) having a completely different naming scheme (either letter or full name or maybe number-letter combination like T1) makes a lot more sense when including it on a subway or regional transit map.

From link.
View attachment 450172

The reason for that is because Highway 10 was a city-maintained "connecting link" when it was downloaded, so it was simply kept as-is. Same for Lakeshore (2) and Dundas (5). Bovaird Drive in Brampton was provincial right up until it was downloaded, so it was given to the Region, although the desire to have a former highway which followed two different roads in Peel and still functioned as a through highway route (which requires a number for continuity) may have played a part in that.

I think if the Hazel Line ever touches one of Toronto's lines (likely Line 2 or 5 for example) it would warrant a number distinction. As it is somewhat orphaned, maybe not. And yes, I realize it connects with three GO lines.

For what possible reason should this LRT be numbered within the context of Toronto's LRT? The suggestion is absolutely ludicrous. The TTC renumbered the 5 and 6 buses in anticipation of their own network being rejigged. What if there were more LRTs built outside of Toronto? Are they going to have to renumber a route every time for a change that doesn't concern them?

Keep in mind also that MiWay has its own routes. How would it look if you told someone to take a rail line with the same number as a preexisting bus route?

The only logical numbering solution would be to give it the number 1 and renumber the present MiWay route 1. Failing that, any letter of the alphabet.

Maybe our lines should be numbered with a letter and a a number.

Subway line 1 could be S1

Lakeshore could be R1 for regional I guess

The LRTs could be L1 etc.

Alternative thought: existing services should retain their numbers as much as possible. Renumbering rail lines to fit with in some kind of regional motif is one of those ideas that would look satisfying on a chart of services on paper, but would just cause pointless confusion to users of the service. Though we may like to pretend otherwise, there is very little interplay with the TTC and the transit agencies of the region surrounding it, and apart from masquerading that all of our rail lines are part of a regional system I'm not sure what any of what has just been described would achieve. You're in Mississauga, you know you're not going to be getting on the TTC's Line 1.

"How do I get to King?"
"You take the 1."
"How can I? That doesn't exist!"

For what possible reason should this LRT be numbered within the context of Toronto's LRT? The suggestion is absolutely ludicrous. The TTC renumbered the 5 and 6 buses in anticipation of their own network being rejigged. What if there were more LRTs built outside of Toronto? Are they going to have to renumber a route every time for a change that doesn't concern them?

Keep in mind also that MiWay has its own routes. How would it look if you told someone to take a rail line with the same number as a preexisting bus route?

The only logical numbering solution would be to give it the number 1 and renumber the present MiWay route 1. Failing that, any letter of the alphabet.
Both the Hurontario and Hamilton LRTs are almost 100% going to be numbered 7 and 8 and branded in context with the remainder of the subway system, and it’s been planned like that for at least 3 or 4 years. They’ve already got colours and signage picked out (teal for Hurontario and lime green for Hamilton). The numbers are not finalized yet, and probably won’t be until construction is finished, but all the signs point towards full branding integration.

From the 2019 Metrolinx Wayfinding Standards Document:
DE8CDDA9-2C5D-4172-B10A-CC2DB646B2E7.jpeg

Maybe our lines should be numbered with a letter and a a number.

Subway line 1 could be S1

Lakeshore could be R1 for regional I guess

The LRTs could be L1 etc.
That would be on the line what Europe does today. You have U1-UX for subway/Metro/U-Bahn, S1-SX S-Bahn, R1-RX for Commuter Rail as well RER-X, Streetcar/Tram lines are numbered

The problem we have is trying to fit an GTA system into one systems when most people will never ride most of those GTA systems line outside their area in the first place.

What Metrolinx needs to do is to block numbers and letter for each city and town under their control for transit that will allow for future lines down the road. I would use 1-20 (1-29) for Toronto, 21-30 (30-39)for Mississauga, 31-40 (40-49) for Hamilton. Using the () numbers would set each area apart with no confusion where X is.

Both the Hurontario and Hamilton LRTs are almost 100% going to be numbered 7 and 8 and branded in context with the remainder of the subway system, and it’s been planned like that for at least 3 or 4 years. They’ve already got colours and signage picked out (teal for Hurontario and lime green for Hamilton). The numbers are not finalized yet, and probably won’t be until construction is finished, but all the signs point towards full branding integration.
Good grief, this is really becoming a gongshow. What's next, putting those lines on the Toronto subway map?

And how do they propose to stop those from being confused with MiWay and HSR routes of the same numbers as what they choose? Why are local transit projects being run by a regional transit authority? Why is said authority integrating the numbering of the TTC system with lines in other cities? None of this makes the slightest sense.

Last edited:
Good grief, this is really becoming a gongshow. What's next, putting those lines on the Toronto subway map?

And how do they propose to stop those from being confused with MiWay and HSR routes of the same numbers as what they choose? Why are local transit projects being run by a regional transit authority? Why is said authority integrating the numbering of the TTC system with lines in other cities? None of this makes the slightest sense.
Ding Ding Ding

Back