News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I'm not sure how single-guy might (or might not) have been dating more than one person has any comparison to married senior citizen and grandfather sexually harasses millennial.
Pretty sure Adam was engaged if not married. Regardless, both were consensual relationships between two adults.
That they are subject to public scrutiny is puritanical af.

Reactions: rbt
From CBC:
The City of Toronto Act says that once a city council member, including the mayor, resigns, council must declare their seat vacant at their next meeting. In this instance, that could happen as soon as Wednesday, when city council votes on the latest budget, but it will depend on whether Tory steps down before then.

Within 60 days of the the mayor's seat being declared open, city council must pass a bylaw requiring that a byelection be held to fill the vacancy, according to the act.

So they have until about April 15 to pass the bylaw which will set the date of the byelection.
A mid-summer election? Someone will win with 35% turnout.

I just saw at today's front page on the Star.

If the full page resignation of John Tory (filling pages 1 to 3), underneath a banner about the page 4 to 6 coverage of the Ford wedding scandal wasn't enough.

At the top is an ad for Lastman's Bad Boy. And at the bottom is an ad for a cemetery.

If this is a troll by the Toronto Star - congratulations!

1676111356913.png

Last edited:
I just saw at today's front page on the Star.

If the full page resignation of John Tory (filling pages 1 to 3), underneath a banner about the page 4 to 6 coverage of the Ford wedding scandal wasn't enough.

At the top is an add for Lastman's Bad Boy. And at the bottom is an ad for a cemetary.

If this is a troll by the Toronto Star - congratulations!

View attachment 455541
The ad for the funeral and cemetary services business at the bottom is a nice touch. Tory's political career is dead and buried.

I'm not sure if the woman is 31 now, or was the 31 at the time, but this is a full grown consenting adult. Some of the comments in this thread seem to imply she was barely legal or 18 years old. Saying "young enough to be his granddaughter" and "closer in age to Hazel McCallion" without actually mentioning the woman's age is sensationalist and trying to make it seem worse than it is. The issue is more about the power dynamic (boss and staffer), not about the age difference.

The irony with the strong mayor powers is that a by-election MUST be called to replace Tory.

Unlike before when someone could have been appointed, the new legislation doesn't permit it.

Doug Ford must not be liking this. He probably thought he had a puppet in the Mayors office and now he has a thorn in his side.

He can't appoint a province friendly mayor either. That rules out putting in Mikey to run things instead of McKelvie.

I wonder if Gil Penalosa may run again.

He can't appoint a province friendly mayor either. That rules out putting in Mikey to run things instead of McKelvie.
It isn't about "appointing". It's about running a Ford Nation standard bearer and getting the Ford Nation electoral steamroller up and running to get said standard bearer elected.

And again, if it were about blatant nepotism, likelier Kinga than Mikey.

Why resign?

Rob Ford smoking cocaine, getting drunk, and making a fool of himself, was worse than what John Tory allegedly did.

My guess:

Rob Ford didn’t have a cushy spot on the family trust of one of the biggest oligopolies in the country.

I’m gonna guess that the IC’s Tory & Rogers investigation picked back up after Tory got a third term. And that it’s very likely they’d find impropriety warranting a spanking.

Getting ahead of it with this affair news kills two birds with one stone.

1) It stops any potential extortion over the affair.
2) It saves his cushy ties with Rogers.

The report would show impropriety, sure. But the worst the IC could do is make the very rich man fake an apology and take a pay cut for a while. It would be far worse for his ties to Rogers however, and at a time when they’re already dealing with leadership problems. The Rogers Sisters could lose an ally helping keep Ed Rogers from going full-blown dictator over there.

Last edited:
My guess:

Rob Ford didn’t have a cushy spot on the family trust of one of the biggest oligopolies in the country.

I’m gonna guess that the IC’s Tory & Rogers investigation picked back up after Tory got a third term. And that it’s very likely they’d find impropriety warranting a spanking.

Getting ahead of it with this affair news kills two birds with one stone.

1) It stops any potential extortion over the affair.
2) It saves his cushy ties with Rogers.

The report would show impropriety, sure. But the worst the IC could do is make the very rich man fake an apology and take a pay cut for a while. It would be far worse for his ties to Rogers however, and at a time when they’re already dealing with leadership problems. The Rogers Sisters could lose an ally helping keep Ed Rogers from going full-blown dictator over there.
I thought that investigation had concluded in December and cleared Tory of any conflict.

From CBC:

So they have until about April 15 to pass the bylaw which will set the date of the byelection.
A mid-summer election? Someone will win with 35% turnout.

You think turnout will be up six points for a summer election (it was only 29.2% in November)?

How very optimistic.

Possible Candidates mooted in the National Post:

Cressy, Layton, Bailao, Keesmaat, Nate Esrkine-Smith (whose been musing about running for the Prov. Liberal leadership, after being perpetually overlooked for cabinet). Chloe Brown (3rd place finisher in November with 6% of the vote, apparently on a campaign with 2k in funding)

They also mention Wong-Tam.

Back