News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Underused 407 highway?!?

Though even Tottenham is north of the Greenbelt, with Beeton and Alliston being well out of the greenbelt. Presumably this will all become heavily developed as time goes on. The question is when ... stopping in Bolton may make sense now, but I wouldn't be surprised one day to see an extension north to Alliston. But that could be a very long time from now.

Just north of Bolton is the Greenbelt. Of course, with Doug in charge, it's merely small sticks to bulldoze through.

this-is-a-government-that-would-pave-the-greenbelt-ford-moves-to-streamline-environmental-study-for-gta-west-highway-the-pointer-9b0fdd30.jpg

From link.
OMG WHY DID CP BUILT THROUGH GREEN BELT GRRRRRR.

In all seriousness, operationally, CTC ends north of Bolton and its all single track ABS/OCS dark territory control to Mactier. I don't think we will see more than a handful of trains north of Bolton IF we are lucky enough to get trains to Bolton

OMG WHY DID CP BUILT THROUGH GREEN BELT GRRRRRR.

In all seriousness, operationally, CTC ends north of Bolton and its all single track ABS/OCS dark territory control to Mactier. I don't think we will see more than a handful of trains north of Bolton IF we are lucky enough to get trains to Bolton

There is a CTC “island” up at Spence/Baxter siding (Alliston) - I’m sure that CP would love to have Metrolinx pay to install CTC between Bolton and Spence! But there simply isn’t the population up there (yet) to create any demand.

- Paul

^Groves is also positioned as anti-413 and progressive - no doubt the two will be positioning themselves as the “original” driving force behind Bolton GO and Ford as a come-lately. Forgetting, of course, that the Liberals originally promised - and then killed - the promise of Bolton GO - dating from the McGuinty years.

On merit, I wonder if ML ought to be attempting any more new projects while the have so many already on the GO. We might actually see this line happen sooner if ML (and the construction industry) can get some things off its plate and recover its bandwidth.

- Paul

Last edited:
^Groves is also positioned as anti-413 and progressive - no doubt the two will be positioning themselves as the “original” driving force behind Bolton GO and Ford as a come-lately. Forgetting, of course, that the Liberals originally promised - and then killed - the promise of Bolton GO - dating from the McGuinty years.

On merit, I wonder if ML ought to be attempting any more new projects while the have so many already on the GO. We might actually see this line happen sooner if ML (and the construction industry) can get some things off its plate and recover its bandwidth.

- Paul
Seeing as they were able to basically introduce London GO overnight, I imagine they could do a similar bare-bones service now to Bolton. I agree more projects like a completed Bolton line is a tall order, but it might be pretty easy to defer the actual capital costs until there’s time and money to do so.

Seeing as they were able to basically introduce London GO overnight, I imagine they could do a similar bare-bones service now to Bolton. I agree more projects like a completed Bolton line is a tall order, but it might be pretty easy to defer the actual capital costs until there’s time and money to do so.
Boltons a little more difficult than London: its not on an active passenger rail line so there are no useable stations. They'd have to build some even minimal stations.

Is that line CTC enabled?

By "that line" you mean the CP line to Bolton? Yes, it's CTC, but it's also busy with time-sensitive freight, unlike the London line.

I would bet that CP would not agree to any service - even a de minimus token service - without addition of new track to keep GO off the CP freight side.

- Paul

Off topic but since you mentioned that plan if any highway would be extended to Hwy 9 it'll probably be 410, I can't see the 427 ever making it past the 413.

Back