News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Funnily though the old racks housing the analog switching equipment are the same size as modern server racks (19" wide and 42U high). Not that they would reuse old racks, but there you go.

Funnily though the old racks housing the analog switching equipment are the same size as modern server racks (19" wide and 42U high). Not that they would reuse old racks, but there you go.
Agreed. With all the downsizing of data centres over recent years, there are piles of 19" racks available. Sadly most end up as metal scrap.

I tried to take one home, but my wife vetoed the idea 😐

109DD8E5-A26E-4A14-9A98-94C6BBCFBFBE.jpeg

University housing. Has there ever been a rendering or design for what they plan to put there?
View attachment 462154View attachment 462155

Here's the current detailed plan for the area. University ave and Collegiate blvd will be merged into one road. Lot Ten is blank on this map because it is not part of U/D, rather a part of the campus proper. The plan for Lot Ten is for it to house the long-term operational support centres for the university (Warehouses, garages, etc).

current.PNG

duture.PNG

Red = Residential + Street fronting retail
Brown = Midrise/Highrise Residential
Orange = Multi-storey Residential
Yellow = Townhouses

Foundations are starting to go in at the SAM Centre on the Stampede grounds. At one time the markup of the youth campus showed an outline of the underground parking that was to go in under this building but it looks like that has been abandoned.
PXL_20230317_225358595.jpg
PXL_20230317_225401861.jpg

They are 19in. They are massive, like several floors high, so probably not reuseable beyond recycling the huge amounts of steel.

I toured a similar facility in dt Toronto in the mid 90s. Bell Canada was a late adoptor of digital switiching so it still operated analog switches well into the 90s. Such equipment required a crew 24X7 to montior and replace failed relays etc. The noise was bad enough to require ear protection and the facilities had huge cooling requirements, I suspect the Len Werry building purposely located the swtich on the top floors to facilitate cooling. Such central office facilities are also similar to libraries in that the floors need to support heavy weight loads. I also think there was a microwave tower on that building at some point. I seem to remember it coming down around 1990.

They are 19in. They are massive, like several floors high, so probably not reuseable beyond recycling the huge amounts of steel.

I toured a similar facility in dt Toronto in the mid 90s. Bell Canada was a late adoptor of digital switiching so it still operated analog switches well into the 90s. Such equipment required a crew 24X7 to montior and replace failed relays etc. The noise was bad enough to require ear protection and the facilities had huge cooling requirements, I suspect the Len Werry building purposely located the swtich on the top floors to facilitate cooling. Such central office facilities are also similar to libraries in that the floors need to support heavy weight loads. I also think there was a microwave tower on that building at some point. I seem to remember it coming down around 1990.
The microwave tower was on the neighbouring Telus Toll Building, the low building in between sky and Werry. Was taken down between 82-95, the aerial photos are ambiguios. No newspaper coverage that can find.

Back