News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chow is officially in.

Her website was magically created right after her announcement so as to not break election rules. ;)

In Chow's press release, she brought up affordable housing as her key issue. This is great to see, as boomer progressives sometimes appear to not truly understand the gravity of the housing crisis.

She's got my vote as long as she does not visit a massage parlor :)

Olivia Chow is the Hillary Rodham Clinton of Toronto politics. Although she is loved by a small coterie of followers, she is not a great politician. Flat speaker. No discernible vision. Lest we forget, she came in a pretty poor third place in 2014 after Doug Ford, when Fordism was at its lowest point.

Lest we forget, she came in a pretty poor third place in 2014 after Doug Ford, when Fordism was at its lowest point.

OK regardless of what you think of Chow, this is such an illogical and dishonest take. Of course she came third in 2014 because Tory was quickly declared as the safest option to get rid of Ford, by the entire media (Star, Globe, Sun, Natinonal Post - all of them). Lots of left of centre types in 2014 voted for Tory, simply to avoid another Ford term. What other standing was Chow supposed to end up in? 2014 was a Ford or non-Ford race, 2023 is a wide open field.

This is so silly.

Last edited:
With this many candidates, if the NDP vote holds, Olivia has a path to victory. The issue is what is she actually standing for right now? Her answer to the media about the housing issue wasn't very good in my opinion (saying the feds/province need to step up).

Does anyone want to start making guesses which high profile candidates may drop out within the next few weeks?

My guess is if Brad Bradford's numbers don't grow any bigger, he could drop out and endorse Ana Bailao.

I can also see Josh Matlow dropping out to endorse Olivia Chow if it looks like she has a good shot at winning. I also suspect Chow's team would sweeten a deal with Matlow by offering him some additional position at council.

Mitzie Hunter should start seriously thinking of calling it quits. I can see her endorsing Bailao.

With this many candidates, if the NDP vote holds, Olivia has a path to victory. The issue is what is she actually standing for right now? Her answer to the media about the housing issue wasn't very good in my opinion (saying the feds/province need to step up).
she will gauge what is being talked about, have a committee chat about what the electorate want to hear and then make a carefully crafted response - same old same old. She isn't going to be daring at all, although I do think it is interesting that with the feds raging about foreign interference she chose the Dragon Centre for her launch. Her experience with the old city council doesn't relate to the council that exists today. Toronto, Canada's biggest city, is losing it's democratic representation inch by inch and the NDP have nothing to offer to reverse it. Housing is a headline but there is so much else going on that needs addressing.

She isn't going to be daring at all, although I do think it is interesting that with the feds raging about foreign interference she chose the Dragon Centre for her launch.

Do you know anything about what you talk about? She’s an immigrant from Hong Kong, long before the 1997 handover. Older waves of Chinese-Canadian immigrants – the ones who built Chinatowns across North America – are generally very wary of PRC influence. This is her neighbourhood and her background. And it made for a great photo backdrop.

Chow is officially in.

Her website was magically created right after her announcement so as to not break election rules. ;)

In Chow's press release, she brought up affordable housing as her key issue. This is great to see, as boomer progressives sometimes appear to not truly understand the gravity of the housing crisis.
Her team also magically sent me an email asking for money this morning, even though she has been out of politics for years.

I'm almost Gen X as I was born in July 1964, and I have wanted more social (not "pretend affordable") housing forever, and more taxes to pay for it, but are there any politicians who care about this anymore?

Back