News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

View attachment 471861

Here's a 2-month update for Maple GO. Progress on the west noise wall, west platform above ground structure, and east platform utility works/underground prep for the tunnel.

The new structure on the west platform looks like its being built for level boarding but I may be just seeing things.
1.jpg

Another 2-month smokey update for Maple GO. Structural well progressed on the south end with roofing ongoing and formwork moved to the north end of the platform.
Slab-on-grade also completed on the east platform south tunnel excavation. Plenty of works ongoing at the bus loop and new station building as well.

You get the feeling it would offend Metrolinx to actually do some goddamn work every once in awhile. Wednesday morning, 9:30am, beautiful, cool, day. Crickets. Not a single person on site. This is absolutely embarrassing.
Thats what you get when society is so obsessed with white collar IT, finance, medical jobs. we will be 1m short of skilled workers nationally within the next few years.
its a shame that these jobs are stigmatised as being performed by lower classes of society even though plumbers and welders get paid much more than many white collared equivalents

Thats what you get when society is so obsessed with white collar IT, finance, medical jobs. we will be 1m short of skilled workers nationally within the next few years.
its a shame that these jobs are stigmatised as being performed by lower classes of society even though plumbers and welders get paid much more than many white collared equivalents

While we are indeed short of trades people, and stigma has something to do with it........though I wouldn't overplay that as the primary issue.........

There is already a contract let here, and its the responsibility of a contractor to have their subs/staff on a project site gettin' er' done.......

Its also the responsibility of the client, particularly when they are a large institutional client not to put up w/BS.

The delays here, are not a simple matter of a labour shortage.

Last edited:
While we are indeed short of trades people, and stigma has something to do with it........though I wouldn't overplay that as the primary issue.........

There is already a contract let here, and it the responsibility of a contractor to have their subs/staff on a project site gettin' er' done.......

Its also the responsibility of the client, particularly when they are a large institutional client not to put up w/BS.

The delays here, are not a simply matter of a labour shortage.
I meant more as a symbolic gesture, but yes this is more on the contractor being novices in efficiently scheduling their crews. This is just the same for the viva rapidways curb replacement they ripped everything out and it sat still, almost abandoned for months before they touched it again...

^What is the daily rental rate on that piledriver? I understand the need for float in the schedule, but at some point, somebody is paying to have all that work equipment sit around. You can't park work equipment for free.

Occasionally the daily fee is mostly removed (they'll charge for use but not for storage) if the vendor doesn't have another customer lined up yet. Basically, they store it in your yard instead of their own with expectations they can ship directly to the next customer in the near future.

Last edited:
Since I started to work and up today, we have to bring in people off shore to do the dirty work as most of the NA populations want no part of it and are looking for clean hand jobs that pay a ton of money considering a number of can't do the work in the first place..

I walked down Hurontario to Dundas St today and saw a lot of equipment that supposed to be doing work with no one working at any of the dozen locations. There was a police car at Dundas for the work there with no one in it or on the site at all. This was at 2pm

There is a labour shortage today and it only going get worse until 2040/50 as the population retires.

As for renting equipment's, there are many options how it done to the point it cheaper to rent than buy as you need someone on your payroll to deal with the various issues that will arise over time to be fix. Need a place to store it, equipment to move it. The rental company has all cost built into the rental cost. Equipment is rented by the week, month or yearly based on the timetable for work.

Construction updates on the Kitchener Line.

Starting at Guelph Central and moving westward towards the Guelph Junction
LIEIDXt5RGu4qdA7g6TUsA.jpg

DqCTn2S5SoCQKOWgmn7EmQ.jpg

JiqHhd1MRRWDs+yuZaaIHQ.jpg
KxMPCF3nQ6adTL5jWqoS0w.jpg
lT+cGl30RAmJar62yzvkNQ.jpg
FKV03fI1TlK3FmDkxCuw1A.jpg
YXO9T+cQTXO3gASYNuT2OQ.jpg
YDnLlSNYTKag8Jwp93kXbQ.jpg
DOZKO+ywTv6LT9%zMnV4yQ.jpg
S5JMu5E+S0q6Ik10lW1Thg.jpg
DIao8VatR2qCqn+sRO1Yhg.jpg
ptVoTjVkRTm6iIzYYKE+MQ.jpg
QIpKJ2qSQlyoCkPVrrKM7Q.jpg

Attachments

• DIao8VatR2qCqn+sRO1Yhg.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 37
  • DIao8VatR2qCqn+sRO1Yhg.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 39
Rode TTC 32 eastbound today past Mount Dennis Station and the new GO Station still has a lot of flashing still to be done. In one way, I would say very little has taken place in the last few months since I saw it first hand. Need to have closure look to make sure. If I have time on Friday before I leave for Montreal, will take a look at it.

Since I started to work and up today, we have to bring in people off shore to do the dirty work as most of the NA populations want no part of it and are looking for clean hand jobs that pay a ton of money considering a number of can't do the work in the first place..
Can you really blame people for not wanting to work dirty or unpleasant jobs that pay less than the alternatives?

Reactions: T3G
On reddit people were complaining about how packed the GO buses and trains are right now on off peak and weekends to Kitchener. Its just nice to hear that this stuff will be used and its not some government make work project. Can't come soon enough for this line.

Back