News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I think they were referring to a Presto reader software update, not an iOS update.

As for Google Wallet, it's a moot point as you can already tap to pay with your default debit/credit card on Presto readers, without having to unlock/authenticate.
What about people who want to use a presto card in their google wallet instead of getting extra credit card or debit card purchases, not everyone wants to use their credit card and debit card for small purchases to use public transit.

Not to mention, some agencies charge non-Presto fares. So, yes, on the Go/TTC I can tap my credit/debit card, but if I transfer to, say, DRT, then I should have used Presto to get the discount which isn't available in wallet; still need to rely on the physical card until the implementation of virtual ones.

that might not really mean much if it's just for Apple phones. Most phones get an update every month or at least it is put out where the company that makes them sends it out is another thing, For example, most of the time Google updates Andriod on pixel phones each month on the first Monday of the month its up to other manufatres like Samsung if they want to send it out then too.
I think they were referring to a Presto reader software update, not an iOS update.

As for Google Wallet, it's a moot point as you can already tap to pay with your default debit/credit card on Presto readers, without having to unlock/authenticate.

Okay the companies haven’t made it easy for me to not mixup. So to confirm:

iPhones can also pay with credit cards without unlocking with Express Transit and as of right now that seems to be enabled for all the Presto readers except the subway fare gates (which apparently is coming in Sept when the gates’ firmware is updated)

The feature others are waiting for are virtual Presto card to add to Apple/Google Wallet so they get all the advantages of paying with a Presto card instead of a credit/debit. Mainly discounted fares, monthly passes, cross agency discounts etc

Am I missing anything?

What about people who want to use a presto card in their google wallet instead of getting extra credit card or debit card purchases, not everyone wants to use their credit card and debit card for small purchases to use public transit.
For an adult on the TTC, it makes no difference where the money comes from, except that if you're holding a presto balance, it's depreciating compared to keeping the money in a decent savings account. I prefer to pay by credit card as I get points and am not charged interest (I don't carry a balance past the due date.)

Presto cards will be able to be added to Apple Pay and Google Wallet towards the end of the year (supposedly).

Okay the companies haven’t made it easy for me to not mixup. So to confirm:

iPhones can also pay with credit cards without unlocking with Express Transit and as of right now that seems to be enabled for all the Presto readers except the subway fare gates (which apparently is coming in Sept when the gates’ firmware is updated)

The feature others are waiting for are virtual Presto card to add to Apple/Google Wallet so they get all the advantages of paying with a Presto card instead of a credit/debit. Mainly discounted fares, monthly passes, cross agency discounts etc

Am I missing anything?

Can Android phones currently pay at Subway fare gates with credit cards without unlocking, or will that (presumably) also be enabled by the September fare gate firmware update?

Can Android phones currently pay at Subway fare gates with credit cards without unlocking, or will that (presumably) also be enabled by the September fare gate firmware update?

I just tried this today on my Android phone to get into the subway at Union Station, I think it requires unlocking, I had tapped a few times and it wouldn't register my phone's NFC credit card card, but after I unlocked it I was able to tap successfully and go in. The other times I have paid for the GO train or bus without unlocking and it was fine.

I just tried this today on my Android phone to get into the subway at Union Station, I think it requires unlocking, I had tapped a few times and it wouldn't register my phone's NFC credit card card, but after I unlocked it I was able to tap successfully and go in. The other times I have paid for the GO train or bus without unlocking and it was fine.

Ahh, that's why I was asking. I was wondering if there is some kind of standard for both Apple and Google that identifies a terminal as a transit terminal, and allows payment without unlocking.

Ahh, that's why I was asking. I was wondering if there is some kind of standard for both Apple and Google that identifies a terminal as a transit terminal, and allows payment without unlocking.
From my understanding weather or not Google wallet needs the phone to be unlocked depends on the amount and also how many times you have used your phone for payment.

Apple requires it to be unlocked in addition to their being some back end payment processing with Apple, Google/ android doesn't require that and their is no extra charge to the merchant hence why any payment terminal that has tap to pay active can accept a card from Google wallet.

Samsung has it's own system that did or still does have a feature that can use older terminals that don't take tap.

From my understanding weather or not Google wallet needs the phone to be unlocked depends on the amount and also how many times you have used your phone for payment.

Apple requires it to be unlocked in addition to their being some back end payment processing with Apple, Google/ android doesn't require that and their is no extra charge to the merchant hence why any payment terminal that has tap to pay active can accept a card from Google wallet.

Samsung has it's own system that did or still does have a feature that can use older terminals that don't take tap.

No, Apple devices also have Express Transit where you can tap without unlocking for transit terminals.

I’ve been doing this daily with my Apple Watch on the streetcars since they turned it on. Only on the subway fare gates does this not work, yet

Last edited:
No Apple devices also have Express Transit where you can tap without unlocking for transit terminals.

I’ve been doing this daily with my Apple Watch on the streetcars since they turned it on. Only on the subway fare gates does this not work, yet
Sounds like an apple problem to me. Maybe there is some software update needed for the gates or your phone. Either way it just goes to show why Google pay is better than Apple pay.

Sounds like an apple problem to me. Maybe there is some software update needed for the gates or your phone. Either way it just goes to show why Google pay is better than Apple pay.
It is clearly a Presto/TTC issue. Considering it is working at GO, 905, TTC (busses/streetcars) but not Subway doors. It's the same phone so obviously there is a difference in software for whatever reason between the subway and surface transit readers.

Any terminal that you can tap a regular credit card will be able to accept Apple Pay. Some vendors turn off tap (most often with Amex) but that applies to all of Apple Pay/Google Pay and tapping the physical card

Does anyone know if the presto devices got the software update today that some of the posts mentioned that was going happen today Sept 1

Does anyone know if the presto devices got the software update today that some of the posts mentioned that was going happen today Sept 1
Express mode should be working at St Clair and rolled out to the rest of the network soon (maybe mid-September). Testing for Apple Pay virtual cards has started.

1693758563477.png

It's hard to give definitive dates long before because not everything goes to plan and features get added and dropped. For example, the virtual cards were initially only supposed to be for Google Wallet and were supposed to be launched somewhere between mid-August and this weekend. However, since there was feedback about people wanting it on Apple Pay, the launch was delayed so the two could possibly launch together. You could apply this to the Crosstown and other projects Metrolinx is working on.

Express mode should be working at St Clair and rolled out to the rest of the network soon (maybe mid-September). Testing for Apple Pay virtual cards has started.

1693758563477.png

It's hard to give definitive dates long before because not everything goes to plan and features get added and dropped. For example, the virtual cards were initially only supposed to be for Google Wallet and were supposed to be launched somewhere between mid-August and this weekend. However, since there was feedback about people wanting it on Apple Pay, the launch was delayed so the two could possibly launch together. You could apply this to the Crosstown and other projects Metrolinx is working on.
Now the big question is which comes first virtual Presto cards for digital wallets or a date for when the crosstown line is going to open.

Back