News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

This is good, but one of the things that concerns me is that projects like this are mostly jobs during construction.

We need to get off the boom bust roller coaster and focus on attracting more good long term permanent jobs and not just branch plant projects.

This is good, but one of the things that concerns me is that projects like this are mostly jobs during construction.

We need to get off the boom bust roller coaster and focus on attracting more good long term permanent jobs and not just branch plant projects.
Lol.

Dow has had a massive presence in Fort Saskatchewan for many years, it is continuing to invest in the billions on this and more projects. Now is the time for whoever is asleep at the wheel in the mayor's office, Edmonton Global, or whatever organization to start pitching and wooing Dow on moving their head office from Calgary to Edmonton.

Absolutely none of their operations, assets or facilities are in Calgary, this is a great opportunity to grab a W for downtown on the back on what's happening in Fort Sask.

God knows Calgary doesn't hesitate to make moves like that.

Their "Canadian HO" is practically a non-existent entity. Don't fret about that, their Corporate Worldwide HQ is obviously in Michigan.

Did you know that the 35 storey British Petroleum building in YYC literally has 4 people in that building who work for BP? That's what YYC is.....give them the 1-2 man HO's and we'll supply most of the labor and material...it's a bigger win for YEG than it is for YYC.....

Dow has had a massive presence in Fort Saskatchewan for many years, it is continuing to invest in the billions on this and more projects. Now is the time for whoever is asleep at the wheel in the mayor's office, Edmonton Global, or whatever organization to start pitching and wooing Dow on moving their head office from Calgary to Edmonton.

Absolutely none of their operations, assets or facilities are in Calgary, this is a great opportunity to grab a W for downtown on the back on what's happening in Fort Sask.

God knows Calgary doesn't hesitate to make moves like that.

Here's an idea:
Instead of waiting for Sohi or Edmonton Global to pitch and woo Dow and other potential head offices, why don't WE do it? Not just you, @CaptainBL , or just me, but a grassroots collective consisting of SRC posters, their family, their friends, their neighbors and so on. A collective who could do everything from circulating petitions to erecting billboard ads to attending conventions to wining & dining with the corporate executives. For the most part, the primary role of this collective is to espouse the virtues of Edmonton in Calgary and other cities, and why it's such a great place to live, work and play.

Just want to get in here to emphasize how big this Dow project is. This is a behemoth amount of money being spent in the Edmonton area and is huge for the regional economy. It might not be the trendy lattes and power lunches some use as a measure of success, but make no mistake this will accelerate the growth of the entire capital region and is a massive win.

Here's an idea:
Instead of waiting for Sohi or Edmonton Global to pitch and woo Dow and other potential head offices, why don't WE do it? Not just you, @CaptainBL , or just me, but a grassroots collective consisting of SRC posters, their family, their friends, their neighbors and so on. A collective who could do everything from circulating petitions to erecting billboard ads to attending conventions to wining & dining with the corporate executives. For the most part, the primary role of this collective is to espouse the virtues of Edmonton in Calgary and other cities, and why it's such a great place to live, work and play.
I'd be 100% down for something like this. We just need a cool name.

Very interested as well. I would suspect there will be Dow engineering/design teams working out of Fluor's new sublease office in ATB so if there ever was a time to make a push for greater office expansion into Edmonton, now is the time.

Question is: what advantages can Edmonton offer here over Calgary? Proximity to their new shiny plant is great, but one of the clear advantages Calgary has is being able to rub shoulders with the decision makers that they're partnering with i.e. Wolf Midstream. Civic pride and desire is great but there has to be something more to make it make sense on their end.

Ideally the Alberta Government would play a vital role for courting Dow to set up shop here and be close to the legislative decision makers of energy and environmental policy, but our rulers will sooner pay for an expanded office in Calgary than ever give a nod to Edmonton.

Not terrible, but far from where Edmonton should be given how cheap housing is...

(“These categories are Economy, Housing, Demographics, Health Care, Safety, Education, Community, Amenities, Transportation and Climate.”)

Here is how The Globe and Mail ranked the most liveable cities in Canada for 2023:

1. Victoria, BC
  2. North Vancouver, BC
  3. Winnipeg, MB
  4. Regina, SK
  5. Burlington, ON
  6. West Vancouver, BC
  7. Saanich, BC
  8. Calgary, AB
  9. Pitt Meadows, BC
  10. Oak Bay, BC
  11. Mont-Royal, QC
  12. Saskatoon, SK
  13. Canmore, AB
  14. Vancouver, BC
  15. Langley, BC
  16. Westmount, QC
  17. Port Coquitlam, BC
  18. New Westminster, BC
  19. Fort St. John, BC
  20. Maple Ridge, BC
  21. Squamish, BC
  22. Brandon, MB
  23. Delta, BC
  24. Ottawa, ON
  25. Colwood, BC
  26. Pickering, ON
  27. Edmonton, AB
  28. Penticton, BC
  29. Oakville, ON
  30. Rosemère, QC
  31. St. Albert, AB
  32. Parksville, BC
  33. Vaughan, ON
  34. Yellowknife, NWT
  35. Prince George, BC
  36. Lethbridge, AB
  37. Abbotsford, BC

Edmonton always seems to struggle with 'ranking' articles -- either we're ignored completely, lumped in with Calgary, or a victim of a flawed methodology (like this one).

But most people rightly called out the article for being out of touch and elitist. Affordability is at crisis levels for many people and Victoria/Vancouver shouldn't be at the top.

Housing/affordability is but one of the categories.

I'm genuinely curious about Winnipeg (often very close to Edmonton in many regards) being so much higher.

Edmonton always seems to struggle with 'ranking' articles -- either we're ignored completely, lumped in with Calgary, or a victim of a flawed methodology (like this one).

But most people rightly called out the article for being out of touch and elitist. Affordability is at crisis levels for many people and Victoria/Vancouver shouldn't be at the top.
They used flawed methodology to be controversial for clicks. Kind of sick of seeing it posted all over.

Back