News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Choosing to be cautious with my predictions, picking up some that have already been mentioned...

- New Stony Plain Road Bridge opens
- First renderings of MacLab's first phase of development at Mill Woods
- The Shift breaks ground
- good start to the new Warehouse Campus Park in the spring
- Demolition for the Parks II in late summer/fall, construction on Phase II not until 2025
- Construction begins on Falcon II
- West Block Phase II breaks ground in anticipation of Valley Line West
- New renders for Jasper Gates redevelopment, no movement yet
- Renderings for Ice Tower, no construction until 2025/26
- more supportive housing both announced and commencing construction throughout the city
- Versace at WEM
- Station Park opens to much fanfare on Whyte
- Small scale apartments/condos in Strathcona (such as Dhaliwal, 99 St Apts, Douglas Manor addition) start up
- La Piazza in Little Italy starts up construction in the fall
- MacEwan School of Business begins construction
- Plans for a rebuild of Coliseum Station announced
- Blatchford's first multifamily housing begins construction, more announcements with the opening of Metro Line to Blatchford Market
- Times Square at Century Park commences construction
- More CRUs at Southpark on Whyte fill in
- Upper Vista Towers near Stadium starts up
- LRT ridership reaches 2018-19 peak of 110,000/day, surpassing it in 2025
Upper vista towers are already dead I believe. But I like the rest of this list!!

Upper vista towers are already dead I believe. But I like the rest of this list!!
I concur with your “Parks” sentiment. I believe that Maclab was hesitant on the city’s ability to fulfil their promise of actually building the “Warehouse” park. Once we/they see shovels in the ground…..it should accelerate the second tower.

Housing is going to get more expensive, especially rental as people are priced out of the purchase market. 1bd rents will reach or be close to $1800/mo.

Announcement of YEG getting direct flights to Paris and New York

Another 50-100 units move forward in Blatchford

Province gives some money to Ice District phase 2

City Centre mall sees 1 or 2 new stores

Another luxury retailer or two is announced for WEM

2-3 new large scale industrial projects are announced or given the go ahead

2-3 new head office relocations to downtown are announced

Hydrogen fuelling stations open and city starts to embrace Hydrogen vehicles. At the same time 2024 will see more and more electric vehicles on Edmonton's streets

YEG cargo hub starts to break ground

Service frequency is improved on the 747 route bus

Province reveals early plans for regional rail around Edmonton

2-3 new food processing/manufacturing companies or facilities select Edmonton or area for new offices and plants

New biotechnology headquarters announced for Edmonton

New AI and Machine Learning institute launches or if U of A

MacEwan business building starts to rise

Maybe 3-4 new towers are announced depending on how far rents have increased and vacancy

Edmonton will see a huge influx of Calgarians priced out of Calgary not to mention ongoing in migration from BC and Ontario

Any guesses on which Valley Line SE station will be the first to have a new multi family building built near it? (Say minimum 4 storeys).

And will construction on said building start in 2024?

Bonnie Doon and MWTC don’t seem to be redeveloping soon. Grey Nuns, Millbourne and Avonmore, Muttart, and Churchill don’t really have any land suitable for such a project at the moment. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

I would love to see development get going at Holyrood but not sure when things are going to get moving. (Same goes for Strathearn, and the Tower 101 site.)

I would love even more to see the parking lots around the Quarters disappear.

I’d guess Holyrood sees some action first, but no new construction starting in 2024.

Anyone else? (Please let me know if I am way off base on anything!)

First half of the year will probably be very quiet, more stuff happening on the second half, including announcements.

The good:

Parks II and Falcons II confirmed for groundbreaking in spring 2025

Qualico Stationlands second tower breaks ground on Q3-2024

The Shift announced for groundbreaking in late 2025.

Cantiro Grandin tower announced for 2025

The Jameson restarts construction in spring 2024

VLW ends 2024 slightly ahead of schedule

Holyrood mid-rise buildings break ground between spring and summer 2024

At least two multifamily buildings break ground in Blatchford

Another 100-150 townhomes start construction in Blatchford throughout the year

The Hat @ Old Strathcona announces the second phase will go ahead immediately after phase I finishes.

Another 2-3 luxury retailers open stores in the WEM

VLSE is a resounding success and reaches high levels of ridership

A few infill projects throughout the inner neighborhoods will keep the current momentum, especially in Oliver, Ole Strathcona and Garneau

The bad:

Housing becomes more expensive, especially in the core

Homelessness and the opiod crisis will remain being a major issue (thanks to the UCP)

Warehouse district park construction will have delays

Jasper Ave renovations will not be included in the budget

Any guesses on which Valley Line SE station will be the first to have a new multi family building built near it? (Say minimum 4 storeys).

Bonnie Doon and MWTC don’t seem to be redeveloping soon. Grey Nuns, Millbourne and Avonmore, Muttart, and Churchill don’t really have any land suitable for such a project at the moment. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

I would love to see development get going at Holyrood but not sure when things are going to get moving. (Same goes for Strathearn, and the Tower 101 site.)

I’d guess Holyrood sees some action first, but no new construction starting in 2024.

Avonmore could theoretically have the homes closest to the station demolished in favour of 4-8 storey apartments or condos. Like around 73rd and 83rd. Grey Nuns... yeah not unless those churches on the corner go. Maybe if some of those townhouse developments nearby get redeveloped but I doubt that'll happen anytime soon. Millbourne would've had a lot more potential if they actually placed the station in the heart of the community (at the mall) instead of where all the low-density homes turn away from the station and have little densification potential on 66th and 38th.

I'm willing to bet the farm on some proposed highrise residential development around the Davies LRT station within the next couple of years. Surely all those acres of parking lots could be better utilized amirite?

I'm willing to bet the farm on some proposed highrise residential development around the Davies LRT station within the next couple of years. Surely all those acres of parking lots could be better utilized amirite?

It does feel a bit strange of a location for the park n' ride. If you live in Mill Woods, it seems a bit far, past existing LRT in Mill Woods, to drive to. If you live nearby in Avonmore and King Edward Park, you'd probably just walk to the nearest LRT stop. If you live in Hazeldean/Ritchie, you'll probably just walk to 99th and take the 523.

First half of the year will probably be very quiet, more stuff happening on the second half, including announcements.

The good:

Parks II and Falcons II confirmed for groundbreaking in spring 2025

Qualico Stationlands second tower breaks ground on Q3-2024

The Shift announced for groundbreaking in late 2025.

Cantiro Grandin tower announced for 2025

The Jameson restarts construction in spring 2024

VLW ends 2024 slightly ahead of schedule

Holyrood mid-rise buildings break ground between spring and summer 2024

At least two multifamily buildings break ground in Blatchford

Another 100-150 townhomes start construction in Blatchford throughout the year

The Hat @ Old Strathcona announces the second phase will go ahead immediately after phase I finishes.

Another 2-3 luxury retailers open stores in the WEM

VLSE is a resounding success and reaches high levels of ridership

A few infill projects throughout the inner neighborhoods will keep the current momentum, especially in Oliver, Ole Strathcona and Garneau

The bad:

Housing becomes more expensive, especially in the core

Homelessness and the opiod crisis will remain being a major issue (thanks to the UCP)

Warehouse district park construction will have delays

Jasper Ave renovations will not be included in the budget
I agree the first part of the year will probably be fairly quiet, but most importantly I feel this will be a year that a lot of the angst and gloom, especially related to the downtown, finally starts to lift some.

This and lower interest rates during the year might help lead to some more projects in the second half of the year, which will help it seem like we have started to recover our momentum. Frankly, 2023 has been a real grind in so many ways, I feel that 2024 the overall mood will improve and as we see some progress that may help even more.

Additional to @ChazYEG projections...
-- Westrich Pacific announces 3 new towers on 104th Street in 2024 with all three beginning construction in 2025
-- Katz announces 2 new ICE District towers in 2024 with one beginning in late 2024 and the other scheduled to start in 2025
-- (and sure to bring on the wotchutokinbout crowd) Alldritt finalizes plans for Quarters tower in 2024 with a planned start in 2025
-- A concept for a downtown Stadium is announced in 2024 (and that initiates a development fever that gives Downtown Edmonton back its MoJo)
-- Norquest announces plans for a high-rise classroom addition on land that they own on 108th Street in 2024 with plans to begin construction in 2026
-- A land transaction is completed for the BoM/Zellers site on 101st Street with plans released in early 2025 and with construction planned for 2026
-- The "Hat" crew doubles down on the Quarters and announces plans for their land adjacent to their existing tower in 2024 with plans to begin construction in 2026

Here we go:

1. Merc 2 hits hard and fast.
2. MacEwan Business School starts.
3. Williams Hall finally gets moving along.
4. Maclab presents redevelopment concept for MWTC.
5. Jameson finally starts by mid-2024.
6. Renovation of Manulife podium starts mid-2024.
7. Canderel/LaSalle provide more details on the renovation of ECC East/West.
8. Milner building repositioning starts.

Last edited:
Here we go:

1. Merc 2 hits hard and fast.
2. MacEwan Business School starts.
3. Williams Hall finally gets moving along.
4. Maclab presents redevelopment concept for MWTC.
5. Jameson finally starts by mid-2024.
6. Renovation of Manulife podium starts mid-2024.
7. Canderel/LaSalle provide more details on the renovation of ECC East/West.
8. Milner building repositioning starts.
This feels very realistic.

Would Clifton start this year too you think?

Back