8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

bodsbods9090

Member Bio
Reaction score
Well, 2023 has almost come to an end and we've had some projects start up.

So what are we feeling for 2024.

My predictions are as follows:
  • We'll see some proposals along the Valley Line West area (Stony Plain Rd specifically)
  • A builder from outside Edmonton proposes a project in the downtown area
  • Millwoods Mall sees the first renderings from MacLab on their first phase
  • The City announces they'll fund the rebuild of the Coliseum station after all the issues along the LRT line this year
That's just what I'm thinking about off the top of my head.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Oooh, let me get in on this
  • Two new projects in Oliver/Westmount area get announced.
  • Open Sky finally stops being a hole and construction starts again.
  • Parks Phase II and Falcon Towers Phase II are officially announced as a go (from HAF funding)
  • Shift Towers get the go ahead as a result of HAF funding
  • Cidex proposal downtown, probably near the Warehouse District Park.
  • Milner conversion gets the go ahead, probably from HAF funding.
  • Funding grants for multifamily projects near the Valley Line are proposed, as a result of HAF funding.
  • Rowhomes once again overtake SFH for starts in 2023 and 2024. Edmonton transitions into rowhome city.
  • Danielle Smith has a fit of sanity and grants Edmonton $100 million as a Housing Accelerator topup, and $50 million in downtown infrastructure improvements for Budget 2024

I'm predicting a very quiet first half of 2024, with more news in the second half, especially if interest rates change.

* Mercury Block 2 breaks ground
* Clifton breaks ground
* More info on Ice Tower but no groundbreaking until Nov 2024 or Spring 2025
* Falcon Tower Phase II waits 1-2 years to continue
* Open Sky puts their site for sale, doesn't build
* Bonnie Doon Redevelopment continues to be on hold
* Demolition for Parks Phase II begins end of year/early 2025
* Many proposals for shorter wood frame builds and infill
* No other major towers or projects announced or ground broken
* Wildcard will be Cantiro with a surprise announcement and project in Oliver or Grandin similar to CX

I'd love to see more, especially the Edmonton Motors site on Jasper Ave, and literally any movement from Regency on any of their apocalyptic pits, but I just don't think the economic conditions are there. The good news: migration to Edmonton will continue in 2024 and that will help make us more attractive for investment.

Last edited:
Shovels in the ground for Ice District Phase 2 and other downtown towers (Shift, Falcon 2, ICE towers, Parks 2).
Exciting new projects for Oliver, Glenora, The Quarters, Old Strathcona, Holyrood, Strathearn, Bonnie Doon, Blatchford and Ritchie.
Demolition of Dwayne's Home finally commences, Procura begins construction during the summer.
Regency finally gets off their ass, sell the Tower 101 and The Emerald sites to more competent developers.
Alldritt finally gets off their ass, builds mixed-use highrises near Grierson Hill Road, near 124 St and 142 St/SPR.
New hotels slated for downtown (an Alt Hotel near ICE District), Garneau and 124 St.
Oliver renaming is officially announced.
Premier Smith announces that the province will cover demolition of the Coliseum and utilities for ICE District Phase 2.
Renovations to ECC and Manulife Place (to be renamed to CWB Place) begin.
Downtown businesses bloom as new hydrogen and biotech projects are announced.
Ongoing transportation projects such as the Yellowhead freeway conversion and the LRT expansions to the west, northwest and south.
Low Level Bridge, High Level Bridge and Jasper Ave renovations finally get underway.
Warehouse Park construction is a go-ahead for early spring.
Rossdale Plant plans are released, shovels in ground for 2025.
Shovels in the ground for Rossdale transportation renovations around the Rossdale Plant and RE/MAX Field.
New non-stop flights to NYC and London.
Affordable housing funding and urban national park announcements from the federal government.
Oilers, Elks, Oil Kings, Stingers and Riverhawks become champions of their respective leagues.
Edmonton remains affordable compared to other cities in Canada.
Edmonton economy remains hot despite inflation and high interest rates.

Oooh, let me get in on this
  • Two new projects in Oliver/Westmount area get announced.
  • Open Sky finally stops being a hole and construction starts again.
  • Parks Phase II and Falcon Towers Phase II are officially announced as a go (from HAF funding)
  • Shift Towers get the go ahead as a result of HAF funding
  • Cidex proposal downtown, probably near the Warehouse District Park.
  • Milner conversion gets the go ahead, probably from HAF funding.
  • Funding grants for multifamily projects near the Valley Line are proposed, as a result of HAF funding.
  • Rowhomes once again overtake SFH for starts in 2023 and 2024. Edmonton transitions into rowhome city.
  • Danielle Smith has a fit of sanity and grants Edmonton $100 million as a Housing Accelerator topup, and $50 million in downtown infrastructure improvements for Budget 2024
HAF monies can go to projects like the "Parks" and the "Falcons?" Had no idea! Btw, Burnaby just got their share $43M this morning. Where is ours?

Also, Cantiro did state they will start their next tower at the "West Block" in either Q124 or Q224.

I'm predicting a very quiet first half of 2024, with more news in the second half, especially if interest rates change.

* Mercury Block 2 breaks ground
* Clifton breaks ground
* More info on Ice Tower but no groundbreaking until Nov 2024 or Spring 2025
* Falcon Tower Phase II waits 1-2 years to continue
* Open Sky puts their site for sale, doesn't build
* Bonnie Doon Redevelopment continues to be on hold
* Demolition for Parks Phase II begins end of year/early 2025
* Many proposals for shorter wood frame builds and infill
* No other major towers or projects announced or ground broken
* Wildcard will be Cantiro with a surprise announcement and project in Oliver or Grandin similar to CX

I'd love to see more, especially the Edmonton Motors site on Jasper Ave, and literally any movement from Regency on any of their apocalyptic pits, but I just don't think the economic conditions are there. The good news: migration to Edmonton will continue in 2024 and that will help make us more attractive for investment.
All that sounds great except the only movement from Regency I'd predict in 2024 might be a bowel movement.

Shovels in the ground for Ice District Phase 2 and other downtown towers (Shift, Falcon 2, ICE towers, Parks 2).
Exciting new projects for Oliver, Glenora, The Quarters, Old Strathcona, Holyrood, Strathearn, Bonnie Doon, Blatchford and Ritchie.
Demolition of Dwayne's Home finally commences, Procura begins construction during the summer.
Regency finally gets off their ass, sell the Tower 101 and The Emerald sites to more competent developers.
Alldritt finally gets off their ass, builds mixed-use highrises near Grierson Hill Road, near 124 St and 142 St/SPR.
New hotels slated for downtown (an Alt Hotel near ICE District), Garneau and 124 St.
Premier Smith announces that the province will cover demolition of the Coliseum and utilities for ICE District Phase 2.
Ongoing transportation projects such as the Yellowhead freeway conversion and the LRT expansions to the west, northwest and south.
Low Level Bridge, High Level Bridge and Jasper Ave renovations finally get underway.
Shovels in the ground for Rossdale transportation renovations around the Rossdale Plant and RE/MAX Field.
Affordable housing funding and urban national park announcements from the federal government.
Oilers, Elks, Oil Kings, Stingers and Riverhawks become champions of their respective leagues.
Is this the throw everything at the wall and see what sticks method? Haha. This might be my list for “by 2030” and even that might be ambitious.

I'm going to add a few more 2024 predictions:
The Rolling Stones and Taylor Swift will be the performers at Commonwealth Stadium this summer in addition to Metallica and Pink.
More concerts at Rogers Place than prior years.
Taste of Edmonton and Folk Fest will be bigger draws due to the Valley Line LRT.
Heritage Festival at Northlands will be better than this past summer's edition.
Wildfire smoke won't be as bad in 2024 as this past summer.

Last edited:
I'm expecting to not see many large exciting project announcements, but lots of quiet infill projects kick off.
Keep your eye out for interesting new multiplexes hidden all over the city.

I am curious how this federal housing money will play out - it is likely to be a fairly significant amount for Edmonton ($175 million) so that could incentivize a lot of housing - hopefully a good percentage of it in the downtown which would help boost the fortunes of this key part of the city.

I am curious how this federal housing money will play out - it is likely to be a fairly significant amount for Edmonton ($175 million) so that could incentivize a lot of housing - hopefully a good percentage of it in the downtown which would help boost the fortunes of this key part of the city.
It probably will be located in DT or other more dense areas, it's supposed to kickstart more "low carbon" and "climate resilient" communities. You know what can do that? Densification of the inner city!

Plus the RoI for that funding works much better for downtown projects than suburban areas

Choosing to be cautious with my predictions, picking up some that have already been mentioned...

- New Stony Plain Road Bridge opens
- First renderings of MacLab's first phase of development at Mill Woods
- The Shift breaks ground
- good start to the new Warehouse Campus Park in the spring
- Demolition for the Parks II in late summer/fall, construction on Phase II not until 2025
- Construction begins on Falcon II
- West Block Phase II breaks ground in anticipation of Valley Line West
- New renders for Jasper Gates redevelopment, no movement yet
- Renderings for Ice Tower, no construction until 2025/26
- more supportive housing both announced and commencing construction throughout the city
- Versace at WEM
- Station Park opens to much fanfare on Whyte
- Small scale apartments/condos in Strathcona (such as Dhaliwal, 99 St Apts, Douglas Manor addition) start up
- La Piazza in Little Italy starts up construction in the fall
- MacEwan School of Business begins construction
- Plans for a rebuild of Coliseum Station announced
- Blatchford's first multifamily housing begins construction, more announcements with the opening of Metro Line to Blatchford Market
- Times Square at Century Park commences construction
- More CRUs at Southpark on Whyte fill in
- Upper Vista Towers near Stadium starts up
- LRT ridership reaches 2018-19 peak of 110,000/day, surpassing it in 2025

Back