News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

16 minutes from my home at Wellesley/Sherbourne to Warden/Eglinton. I drove it for 11 years and know the route well. There's lots of shopping up there, and on a rainy day we can continue up to Fairview Mall or over to Yorkdale - even Ikea. None of that can be done easily or conveniently by TTC. Or bicycle.
It would be nice to go to the foot of Leslie to a Home Depot/Roots Clearance Center/whatever, then on to Ashbridges Bay with the dog, but it doesn't matter to me. We'll just keep hoping for a bicycle utopia along the waterfront - even in January. LOL

A washer. A washer. My car for a washer.

I own a 6-plex apartment building in Mimico. I was able to walk a couple of blocks to get to a hardware store to buy washers for a faucet. (Extras just in case).

My 89 year old father still lives in Bloor West Village. He needed a washer for a faucet. There were no hardware stores on Bloor Street from Jane to Runnymede (I walked the whole length). I thought there was one, but it disappeared. I had to finally get into my car and drive all the way to St. Clair and Keele, just for a bloody washer.

My own home in the Jane and Weston area, there are no hardware stores in walking distance. There was one near Weston and Eglinton, but it disappeared. I would have to get into a car to find a washer in a big box store.

Those big box stores are terrible. One needs a car to get the cheapest item, using more fuel than the cost of the item. They are such a pain. And try to ask where such-and-such are, they don't know or don't know where to get them.

That is true of any mass market merchandiser, whether it's Blockbuster or Wal-Mart or Costco: the public demands selection and price above all else. Damn service. I remember when I put moon rays in my back yard of my house: Canadian Tire had 2 or 3 to choose from, the (then) new Home Depot at hwy 7/400 had a dozen or more. I was a bit overwhelmed, but it was nice to have the selection.
Blockbuster railroaded all the small, independent local video stores out of business. It didn't matter that most of them were better run and personally run - the 'me' first generation demands choice, choice and price.

I live within a 10 minute walk of two hardware stores: one on Parliament and one on Church St. I almost never consider them. I hate to say it, but Rona or Home Depot have far more items to choose AND I often find other items there I didn't know I was looking for. True, the service can be spotty, but often I find the clerks fairly knowledgable.

The local, family owned store is great for boutique items, coffee shops, etc, but when it comes to buying appliances, big ticket items or stocking up - who in their right mind really uses them? That is why they are all disappearing. Wishful thinking won't bring them back.

The local hardware store is great for simple things like washers and nails. Anything more complicated, or where I think I might need a selection of solutions, I head straight to Home Depot or Rona. I don't care to waste my time going from one Mom & Pop to another. And, honestly, sometimes I don't want the intimacy of a small store, I like being an anonymous shopper (for example, I LOVE the self-checkout at the grocery store!)

I know that there's stuff cTire or hDepot can't do that Pollocks Hardware on Roncy can do--or even provide references to even more arcane joints which can do it...

The absolute antithesis of big box is Jacob's Hardware on Queen West, just west of Spadina, beside The Cameron. It's like a place of worship. You go in, line up in front of a small window cut through the shelves, and when it's your turn, you tell the high priest of hardware what you want, he disappears, and retrieves it for you. They have the finest selection of the most obscure hardware items. I doubt the place has changed much over the past century and it is an absolute gem of a store. It's 100% service based and represents beautifully the human factor in retailing goods so sadly lacking in the SmartCentres of today, but so apparent in the past.

I can honestly say that if Jacobs Hardware didn't exist, the Chum/City building would have fallen down.

No Yuppies in Leslieville? Or it's the end of the world as Yups know it?

Whilst out for the Saturday Morning Jog(tm), I chugged by the new townhouses at Logan and First (which are looking good, but pretty small footprint for a $600k house cheek by jowl with the railway tracks!) and someone has postered the railway bridge with a satirical (I hope!) take on the 'No Big Box in Leslieville' poster.

If someone with a camera spots one, a shot would be appreciated, but essentially it was an anarchic call to arms to rally the proletariat against espresso bars and nice shops.

While in the Saturday G&M, we get the guy selling dresses 'that make women look like whores' (to quote the wife) having to put his stuff on sale for the first time:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20081004.BUST04/TPStory/?query=tizz

And the dude who trashed a house on Ingham hopefully getting his ass handed to him (whaddya mean I need a demolition permit to tear down a house? Is that what demolition means?):

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20081004.HOUSING04/TPStory/?query=ingham

After four months of testimony at the OMB by experts from both sides of the argument whether SmartCentres will be allowed to change the zoning of the Toronto Film Studios property on Eastern Avenue, the end is finally in sight. With only four parties left (SmartCentres, the City, the East Toronto Community Coalition and CineSpace Studios), OMB Chair McKenzie began to hear the closing statements on October 14th. The City presented their summations first, followed by The East Toronto Community Coalition and CineSpace Studios. The process had been scheduled over 4 days ending with SmartCentres. Both the City and The East Toronto Community Coalition provided the Board with compelling evidence as to why this plan will not work. A final decision is expected in the new year.

If the decision goes against SmartCentres, they will have to rethink the usage of the film studio property. Because film production is a clean / green industry which has historically integrated very nicely into the Leslieville community, it might be a great opportunity for someone to buy the property and maintain it as film studios. With an $0.85 dollar and decent film tax credit incentives, Toronto is nicely poised to rebound as a competitive film production venue and it's never had enough affordable studio space, which these studios do provide.

After four months of testimony at the OMB by experts from both sides of the argument whether SmartCentres will be allowed to change the zoning of the Toronto Film Studios property on Eastern Avenue, the end is finally in sight. With only four parties left (SmartCentres, the City, the East Toronto Community Coalition and CineSpace Studios), OMB Chair McKenzie began to hear the closing statements on October 14th. The City presented their summations first, followed by The East Toronto Community Coalition and CineSpace Studios. The process had been scheduled over 4 days ending with SmartCentres. Both the City and The East Toronto Community Coalition provided the Board with compelling evidence as to why this plan will not work. A final decision is expected in the new year.

If the decision goes against SmartCentres, they will have to rethink the usage of the film studio property. Because film production is a clean / green industry which has historically integrated very nicely into the Leslieville community, it might be a great opportunity for someone to buy the property and maintain it as film studios. With an $0.85 dollar and decent film tax credit incentives, Toronto is nicely poised to rebound as a competitive film production venue and it's never had enough affordable studio space, which these studios do provide.

Can we rely on a .85 dollar? Although the oil bubble appears to have burst, we won't see the return to $30 oil. I would think that a .90+ $C will be the new reality. Can Ontario's film industry be competitive in that environment? More and more, I notice Vancouver is becoming Hollywood North, due to its proximity to L.A. and similar climate, etc.

Can we rely on a .85 dollar? ...I would think that a .90+ $C will be the new reality. Can Ontario's film industry be competitive in that environment?

Apparently Ontario's tax credits are competitive with most American state film tax credits at an $0.88 dollar, so if it stays in this range, we may again prosper, especially now that the recent market plunge has jeopardized the state tax credits, which are reviewed annually and will most likely be reduced or capped.

We will witness the decline and demolition of Toronto Film Studios as the film industry begins its next upward cycle. Toronto's industry seems destined to an eternal lack of studio space, unlike Vancouver which has never experienced losses similar to the removal of Cinespace's MT 28 studios on Queen's Quay in 2007, and now Toronto Film Studios on Eastern. Vancouver builds affordable studio infrastructure. Toronto destroys it. It's that simple. Filmport, outrageously grand though it be, is apparently very expensive, and sits empty.

We need to somehow maintain Toronto Film Studios. A just decision by the OMB could only help.

Well, you got your $0.88 CAD -- in fact, $0.80 today

Apparently Ontario's tax credits are competitive with most American state film tax credits at an $0.88 dollar, so if it stays in this range, we may again prosper, especially now that the recent market plunge has jeopardized the state tax credits, which are reviewed annually and will most likely be reduced or capped.

We will witness the decline and demolition of Toronto Film Studios as the film industry begins its next upward cycle. Toronto's industry seems destined to an eternal lack of studio space, unlike Vancouver which has never experienced losses similar to the removal of Cinespace's MT 28 studios on Queen's Quay in 2007, and now Toronto Film Studios on Eastern. Vancouver builds affordable studio infrastructure. Toronto destroys it. It's that simple. Filmport, outrageously grand though it be, is apparently very expensive, and sits empty.

We need to somehow maintain Toronto Film Studios. A just decision by the OMB could only help.

Of course, since there will be no financing in a recession, it's kind of a 'cut off your nose to spite your face' win...

East Toronto Community Coalition (ETCC) Community Meeting re. Smart!Centre’s Big Box application on Eastern Avenue

Tuesday, November 18th
6:30 pm
Ralph Thornton Centre
765 Queen St. East (at Saulter St.)

Many residents have asked what happened at the OMB and what will
happen next. Councillor Fletcher has organized a Community Meeting to
provide details of the City’s case and possible scenarios going
forward. Brendan O'Callaghan, the City's lawyer who led the case
at the OMB, will give an update to the community on the hearing and an
overview of possible outcomes.

No Big Box OMB Update from the ETCC

Hello Neighbours,

I know many of you are interested in the outcome of the OMB hearings
related to the Smart!Centre application on Eastern. I will try to
provide you with a brief description of how the final days played out.

Closing Statements took place between Tuesday, October 14th and
Monday, October 20th and a final decision is expected towards the New
Year. Both the East Toronto Community Coalition and the City brought
strong but unique perspectives to the hearing.

With the help of our lawyer, Eric Gillespie, and several Expert
Witnesses, the ETCC was able to provide what we believe is compelling
evidence as to why this plan would not/could not work.

Our case focused on....
a) The connection between Healthy Communities and Active
Transportation, the network of bike paths surrounding the development
and how this proposal is car dependant;

b) The importance of the Film Industry’s Economic Cluster and how a
Big Box development threatens the growth of creative industry in the
South of Eastern Employment District, and;

c) Very specific planning policies that support our case.

It is important to note that Smart!Centre did not challenge much of
the testimony of our witnesses which may well have a positive bearing
on the final decision. Additionally, our lawyer was able to illuminate
3 key points on cross-examination of Smart!Centre’s witnesses...

1. The Southern Boundary only has a single entrance and the
Smart!Centre plan shows 3 entrances ranging from 2 to 9 lanes. The
official plan shows the bike path as park land, which means
Smart!Centre would have to appeal to the City for access over the
park. The Chair asked Smart!Centre’s traffic engineer if the site
could function without the additional lanes/entrances and he replied
he did not know.

2. Smart!Centre’s traffic report acknowledged that if the bike lanes
were to go in on Eastern Avenue there would be impacts on the
surrounding road network. However, the technical report that would
support the functioning of the project after the bike lanes, which as
most people know are now in place, was never put into evidence.

3. It was brought to the attention of the ETCC that Smart!Centre’s
planner was referring to prepared notes that some people might call a
script, which may compromise a basic rule about not leading a witness.
The planner admitted that Smart!Centre’s lawyer had a copy of the
document in advance of the hearing which could also possibly imply
that the testimony being given was not entirely the witness’ own.

All in all, we feel there is enough case-law to yield a positive
outcome for the community. We will provide you with an update once the
decision is delivered.

In Other News

Some of you may have heard about negative posters in the community
that mimic the No Big Box artwork. The posters call on individuals to
vandalize properties on Queen St. From what we could determine there
were only a few of these posters in the community, perhaps created by
one individual. Based on these few posters the Toronto Sun created a
story about class-tension in the community. Several other media
outlets, after reading the Sun story, decided to expand on the concept
of a community divided?. We were very disheartened to see this
unfold, especially since a great part of our commitment to this battle
focuses on the protection of our local economy and quality employment.
We feel that standing up for jobs that provide a living wage and
diverse employment opportunities will help everyone in our community
and lessen the divide.

No Big Box T-Shirts
No Big Box in Leslieville and No Big Box on Our Waterfront
T-shirts can be purchased for $20 at Gadabout, 1300 Queen St. East. A
Perfect Stocking Stuffer!

I wonder if the decline in North American retail sales might impact SmartCentres plans to demolish the TFS / 629 Eastern Ave. studios to build their mall. If the OMB decides against rezoning and SmartCentre's business plan isn't viable in this economy, will anyone with the power have the wisdom to keep the studios intact and offer them for sale? The film and television production industry will most likely fare better than the rest of the economy and the studios may be the better business plan after all.

Soooo... a depression would be good for films?

I wonder if the decline in North American retail sales might impact SmartCentres plans to demolish the TFS / 629 Eastern Ave. studios to build their mall. If the OMB decides against rezoning and SmartCentre's business plan isn't viable in this economy, will anyone with the power have the wisdom to keep the studios intact and offer them for sale? The film and television production industry will most likely fare better than the rest of the economy and the studios may be the better business plan after all.

It did work for Shirley Temple, I guess...

Get your financing together, AK, you might get a shot of being the third Warner Brother after all!

Back