News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Dark Horse, on Queen just east of the Don (and thus technically not in Corktown), is excellent. Good coffee, great scones and nice staff. I have yet to try F'Coffee across the street but LOVE the name.

Great coffee, great scones, pissy staff! I've always had crappy service there. They're rude, unpleasant, and seem to absolutely hate working there :S It's the east-end version of LeGourmand.

We use Plan B organic farms--$600 for ~5 months of a food bin delivered weekly with more than enough veg/fruit for a family of 4. There are other cheaper options too, such as the Good Food Bin which is considerably cheaper and has a depot at Dixon Hall (Sumach between King & Queen)

I've wanted to sign up for those organic bins, but I'm weary ever since Field-to-Table / GoodFoodBox was shut down in the neighbourhood for growing 'organic' food on polluted former industrial lands.

Sweet, mutant food. I'd only be buying for myself likely, so it sounds like the bins are geared more towards families/groups of people.

I wouldn't surprised if a Starbucks opened up in one of the new buildings, Corktown has to be one of the few districts that doesn't have one yet. Now that Corktown is becoming a new "happening spot", how could they resist. As far as market saturation, it seems like the coffee market can handle way more than it needs. Or rather, SB will muscle its way in and essentially kick out the existing local shops.

You got that right. SB have a way of doing that don't they. Really hope these projects do get off the ground though and aren't stalled by this "credit crunch" we seem to be having......;)

You got that right. SB have a way of doing that don't they. Really hope these projects do get off the ground though and aren't stalled by this "credit crunch" we seem to be having......;)

Digging for both King projects commenced 3 days ago. I also received a notice that said 2 mature trees were going to be derooted and later replanted on the Bright Street townhouse site, but they were straight up cut down by the city. Very upsetting.

The King strip from Sackville to Sumach is going to hit massive change this year. That old BGM (or something) building is for sale, a restaurant is moving into the corner (or maybe a SB?) plus 2 other big buildings have recently been sold. The streetscape is definitely getting more vibrant.

Oh, and Savory Ground has 2 locations - both on Queen. One is across from Dominion Pub at Sumach and the other is next to the Magic Oven by Parliment.

The King strip from Sackville to Sumach is going to hit massive change this year. That old BGM (or something) building is for sale, a restaurant is moving into the corner (or maybe a SB?) plus 2 other big buildings have recently been sold. The streetscape is definitely getting more vibrant.

QUOTE]

Do you happen to know which 2 big buildings recently sold?

I know the BGM listing was TWO buildings for sale...the BGM bldg and the corner...487 King St E....for both.
4.2million asking
and then...
487 sold on its own about 3 months ago
Shoulda bought that!!!!

what about the smaller studio style building right next to the BGM? There's a bunch of construction permits on the door. Wonder what's going on there.

One of the SOLD properties is right next to the future Sackville / King restaurant. It's one of the old 3 story brownstones. Maybe not technically a brownstone, but you know what I'm saying. The other property is a few doors down.

If anyone has some pics of the properties we are talking about could you post? I'm talking about the BGM building, the restaurant going at King/Sackville (what does King/Sackville currently look like?) along with these brownstone buildings and the small studio buillding that JohhnyK speaks of.

JohnnyK, is that a picture of Bright Street on your avatar?

REG

I'll try to take some photos tomorrow, I was planning on taking some shots of the Gilead Place towns under construction. Also, it's nice to see some fellow Corktowners here; considering its small area, a couple of us may even be neighbours.

Back