News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

strange, I thought the wheat sheaf was one of the (if not the) oldest pubs in Toronto. Perhaps what they mean is that there's always been a pub at this location but it has gone through a few different names over time.

it is the oldest existing drinking establishment in the city. the building is from 1849, and has been a public house from the beginning. i'm sure the name of the pub has been changed more than a few times though. parts of the second and much of third floor was a residential hotel well into the 1980's.

Or they are misrepresenting themselves. Shame about the building with the Coffee Time. Looked better in the "Then" photo.

the Wheat Sheaf has gotten increasing fussy and "Ye Olde Wheat Sheaf" over time unfortunately. the building looked better when it was a dump.

the building to the west of it on King was pomodernized (ruined) by er, greyish-yellow metal panels with matching windows in the late 80's or early 90's. the ground floor got the full 12"x12" brown granite kitchen tile treatment. the lobby has some lame ass cheapo 80's ziggurat thing, with "faux finish" wallpaper going on i think.

thankfully the brick is still under there.

luxury living

This photo of a Dallas house was posted by "thecharioteer" on the "A Walk Around South Rosedale" page.

I can only say: Wow! Who wouldn't want to live in a home like this?

Attachments

• 068718pr-1.jpg
    068718pr-1.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 391
I wouldn't like to live in that house. I'd like to own it just so I could sell it for a nice price and buy something a little more modern. I think of the Adams Family when I see that house.

This photo of a Dallas house was posted by "thecharioteer" on the "A Walk Around South Rosedale" page.

I was corrected by LadiesMile that the house is actually in Des Moines. It's unfortuante that the Addams Family and you-know-what-movie has tainted this style for us.

Psycho_house_on_hill_Norman_Bates.jpg

I like towers on old houses and would love to have such a house and be able to see a lot of the neighbourhood, but the one in the photo looks awkwardly institutional for a house.

November 6 addition.

Then: King and Bathurst, SW corner.

Another one of Mr. Wiley's Toronto Archive photos. There appears to be a 1966-ish Mercury car at the photo edge; meaning that this photo could have been taken anytime after that.

fo0124_f0124_fl0002_id0095.jpg

Now: September 2009.

DSC_0004.jpg

The car on the street in the "then" pic is a '64 Mercury Comet, but I think the one parked on the sidewalk behind it is a '69-'71 Chrysler (Newport or New Yorker), which would date it a little later.

strange, I thought the wheat sheaf was one of the (if not the) oldest pubs in Toronto. Perhaps what they mean is that there's always been a pub at this location but it has gone through a few different names over time.

Or they are misrepresenting themselves. Shame about the building with the Coffee Time. Looked better in the "Then" photo.

it is the oldest existing drinking establishment in the city. the building is from 1849, and has been a public house from the beginning. i'm sure the name of the pub has been changed more than a few times though. parts of the second and much of third floor was a residential hotel well into the 1980's.

thedeepend, this reminds me that the practice of some business owners of claiming descendance from a long unbroken line of heritage is pushed a bit sometimes for marketing. Indian Motorcycles comes to mind.

The car on the street in the "then" pic is a '64 Mercury Comet, but I think the one parked on the sidewalk behind it is a '69-'71 Chrysler (Newport or New Yorker), which would date it a little later.

Thanks Stumack. What's the rear diff ratio on a 64 Comet then? :)

Toronto 1979

4073661965_e439485a4c.jpg

Toronto Now

4026243610_f895004c4b.jpg

I love aerials. Really lets you see the Big Picture.

November 7 addition.

Then: 1909? Even the person writing the caption of the old photo is guessing. Spadina looking N from the then lake, as landfill operations are going on in a big way. By horse and wagon.

fo1244_f1244_it7168.jpg

Now: October 2009. Note that the warehouse on the right is till there. On the left of the picture, Loretto Abbey looms like a ghost, and that's what it is, as it's long gone.

DSC_0005.jpg

Another example of "infill" on Sherbourne, further south:

439 Sherbourne (centre of 1910 map with a number "5" underneath):

sherbournemap-1.jpg

439sherbourne.jpg

439sherbournetoday.jpg

Regarding the infilling, I've always wondered how proper stability is achieved by simply dumping crap into a body of water.

Back