News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

George can still win this if he mounts a full-scale and smartly focussed STOP FORD campaign, and emerges in the next two weeks as the clear second place candidate. There's still five weeks to go -- that's longer than the duration of most provincial elections. And you're right, there's a lot of people who haven't completely made up their minds. Including those who've been identified as supporting Ford.

Here is the STOP FORD campaign:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...harge-in-toronto-mayoral-race/article1721005/

Smitherman vows to lead “anybody-but-Ford†charge in Toronto mayoral race Marcus Gee, Globe and Mail

Saying that “this man must be stopped,†George Smitherman vowed on Thursday to lead an anybody-but-Ford movement to stop Etobicoke councillor Rob Ford from becoming mayor.

A recent poll for The Globe and Mail, CTV and CP24 gave Mr. Ford a commanding 24-percentage-point lead over second-place Mr. Smitherman in the campaign for the Oct. 25 vote.

“The results of the poll call for an anybody-but-Ford camp,†he said, adding that voters should “coalesce around a candidate who can win.â€

He said that only he had the “intellect, love, energy and passion,†as well as the “furious determination,†to prevent a Ford victory.

Mr Smitherman, a former deputy premier, made his remarks at Sugar Beach, a recently opened park and sun bathing area opposite the Redpath sugar factory on the central waterfront.

He said the attraction showed that long-delayed plans to spruce up the waterfront are finally gaining momentum and that Mr. Ford would stop that progress.

In a handout distributed to reporters by the Smitherman team, Mr. Ford is quoted as saying this week: “The waterfront. We can't afford it.â€

That statement shows that Mr. Ford has “thrown in the towel on Toronto,†Mr. Smitherman said.

He promised to press ahead with waterfront development by extending the waterfront light rapid transit line into the Portlands and Donlands districts and by working to redevelop Ontario Place.

From The Star opinion page this morning:

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/edit...time-for-pantalone-rossi-thomson-to-quit?bn=1

Hepburn: Time for Pantalone, Rossi, Thomson to quit (Bob Hepburn, Editorial Page)
In Thomson’s case, can anyone figure out why she thinks she has a chance of winning? She gets media play because, honestly, she’s the only woman in the race, not because she’s qualified. Her only political experience was an unsuccessful bid for a city council seat — in Hamilton at that.
Grossly insulting women and Hamilton in one paragraph -- well done Bob Hepburn!

Every new poll since January has seen Smitherman's support fall a bit further. He started off at 44% in the winter, fell to 34% in the spring, hit 28% in the summer and the latest poll now has him at 21%. It is very unlikely this trend is going to reverse itself. The more people see of Smitherman the less they like him. Even if Pantalone's current growth stalls, Joe should still be ahead in the polls within a couple of weeks.
Thank you for another unpaid political announcement.

Whoever said pimping ain't easy was obviously dead wrong.

What would happen if you don't pay your taxes? You think the government wouldn't come after you with guns? Ever heard of a crime called tax evasion?

Yeah, no. Unpaid taxes are collected through your bank or your employer. Although thanks for the afternoon chuckle.

Last edited:
+1

He's uniting the suburbs against Old Toronto to win like Lastman did...So he's just saying how much he plans to cut and screw Toronto to save money to the suburbs and it's working.
He has no vision for this city but running it like a suburb

+1

He's uniting the suburbs against Old Toronto to win like Lastman did...So he's just saying how much he plans to cut and screw Toronto to save money to the suburbs and it's working.
He has no vision for this city but running it like a suburb

Except he is also leading in the old city of Toronto, so maybe the old city doesn't mind all the cuts.

+1 TonyV... Smitherman looked and sounded pretty good at that press conference on the waterfront. I do think he is the best qualified candidate, but somehow that passion and ability to inspire the average voter has been lacking. I think today he made some gains on that front.

Yeah, no. Unpaid taxes are collected through your bank or your employer. Although thanks for the afternoon chuckle.

OK, I retract. Imagine the salesman just went to my bank and collected the money and then asked for my vote to become the mayor. Now, I should really consider voting for him since he was nice enough to not use a gun. Thanks, I almost missed the chance to elect a thief to be my next mayor. I am chuckling indeed.

+1 TonyV... Smitherman looked and sounded pretty good at that press conference on the waterfront. I do think he is the best qualified candidate, but somehow that passion and ability to inspire the average voter has been lacking. I think today he made some gains on that front.

How do you measure Credentials?

-He's a highschool drop out;

-managed to drop the ball on 'e-health', so much so that it's become a taboo word in government;

-Managed to hand one of the biggest sole-sourced projects to Samsung, not even a candadian company

The only reason he's made it so high in government is because he's a good speaker. That's it. The massive socially awkward MPPs (including the opossition) didn't know what do do with themselves with someone that didn't grow up in a bubble and had some 'street cred' (Smitherman definately has street cred, not in the political sense) droped a few lines.

Far from saying Ford is much better, he's not, but let's not get carried away with the 'credentials'

How do you measure Credentials?

-He's a highschool drop out;

-managed to drop the ball on 'e-health', so much so that it's become a taboo word in government;

-Managed to hand one of the biggest sole-sourced projects to Samsung, not even a candadian company

The only reason he's made it so high in government is because he's a good speaker. That's it. The massive socially awkward MPPs (including the opossition) didn't know what do do with themselves with someone that didn't grow up in a bubble and had some 'street cred' (Smitherman definately has street cred, not in the political sense) droped a few lines.

Far from saying Ford is much better, he's not, but let's not get carried away with the 'credentials'

I thought he finished high school, No?

Back