News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Wow, no A/C. And they cost how much more than our new cars? For smaller cars, that don't have to run outside?

Perhaps TTC's sole-source contract with Bombardier wasn't so bad after all.

Can we get confirmation that they DO NOT have AC? Source? Link? I just don't believe it. We're in the 21st Century for God's sake.

I do admit, it does sound surprising. A quick look at MTC's website shows the specs: http://www.stm.info/English/info/comm-10/images/Fiche_MPM-10_ang.pdf

Where it notes "VENTILATION - With a maximum output of 13,000 m3/h, the forced ventilation in the passenger compartment offers more comfort compared to existing métro cars. The variable output is adjusted automatically according to temperature and the train car’s passenger load."

Which certainly sounds like no A/C.

Though I've never noticed the Metro stations in Montreal get as hot or cold as in Toronto when I used to live there. The stations themselves tend to be climate controlled and the tunnels are much deeper, so they are likely natually cooler. Certainly in the winter, I thought nothing about going around the Metro wearing a T-shirt ... if I never had to go outside at either end of my trip (from a downtown office on a shopping trip for example).

Where it notes "VENTILATION - With a maximum output of 13,000 m3/h, the forced ventilation in the passenger compartment offers more comfort compared to existing métro cars. The variable output is adjusted automatically according to temperature and the train car’s passenger load."

Which certainly sounds like no A/C.

I don't really read transit specs, but doesn't that sound like there IS A/C if it's being ventilated? Or is it basically moving air from outside the train into the train? But it says it's based on temperature... I guess ventilation could be separate from AC, but I'd think they'd go hand-in-hand.

I don't really read transit specs, but doesn't that sound like there IS A/C if it's being ventilated? Or is it basically moving air from outside the train into the train? But it says it's based on temperature... I guess ventilation could be separate from AC, but I'd think they'd go hand-in-hand.
Normally if it's A/C you say A/C. The H4's are ventilated (those old non-A/C trains with the bench seating) - you can see the huge fans on the ceiling ... but it's not A/C.

Last edited:
Normally if it's A/C you say A/C. The H6's are ventilated (those old non-A/C trains with the bench seating) - you can see the huge fans on the ceiling ... but it's not A/C.

Side-note....I'm gonna miss those bad-boys. Those giant fans look awesome! And the padded seats are actually comfortable, though to be fair due to the lack of defined boundaries they generally only seat 2 per bench. And they get unbearably hot (and funky) in the summer. And none of the PAs work. And the doors are too narrow. And half the seats are duct-taped. Who am I kidding...screw those old pieces of junk!

But I still like the giant fans.

Normally if it's A/C you say A/C. The H6's are ventilated (those old non-A/C trains with the bench seating) - you can see the huge fans on the ceiling ... but it's not A/C.

Actually those are H4s. H5s and H6s have A/C and bucket seats. I certainly will miss all three of them though. They are so much quieter and smoother than the T1s.

What does any of this have to do with the subject of this thread - NEW TTC Subway Cars.??????? Speculation and chatter about the air conditioning of another province's subway cars belong's elsewhere. Don't ask me where, just elsewhere.

What does any of this have to do with the subject of this thread - NEW TTC Subway Cars.??????? Speculation and chatter about the air conditioning of another province's subway cars belong's elsewhere. Don't ask me where, just elsewhere.

Welcome to UT, where thread titles and content rarely match. :D

Welcome to UT, where thread titles and content rarely match. :D

LOL... my comment wasn't meant to offend...I was just being a little sarcastic....and to add a little more sarcasm, we as humans lived for thousands of years without A/C, why do people act like they have to have A/C all the time? Has anybody ever considered it is a $$$$$ issue? If it was something like 200 cars without A/C for the same price as 150 with A/C, in such hard financial times as these, the decision is easy.
Besides I thought summer only visited Toronto and the rest of Canada lives under a blanket of snow and ice. (jokes lol)

It does get hot in Montreal. I am shocked the new trains wont have A/C. On a side note, anyone know if the new Toronto rocket trains will have the same annoying break squeal as the T1s have? I really hope the new trains offer a quieter ride. The T1s have been really loud lately.

Last edited:

Back