News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Lots of info about the OC rollout in this report on fares
http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/ci...2-COS-TRA-0003 - OC Transpo Fares 2012-13.htm

Fare proposals - some of the key notes:

* Rural Express fares removed
* Students over 19 years of age would have to use adult passes, except when eligible for U-Passes (Algonquin and La Cite Collegiale need U-Passes ASAP then for full-time students)
* Reduced fares for seniors 65 years and older
* PRESTO fare per ride set near current ticket fare
* Ticket prices increase substantially, to the midpoint between the PRESTO fare and the cash fare, and will be eliminated for 2013
* PRESTO cars usable in other systems as well as pay-per-ride fares
* Otherwise, minor increases

I don't know why they are not doing this when the technology allows for it. I see it as greed to insist that riders pre-pay for a monthly pass up front.

Agreed. Also, from what I understand from that report, even if you have a monthly pass loaded onto your card you'll still need to tap when you board a bus. That's a pain, considering that's what I like most about having the monthly pass: 90% of the time when I board the 95 I don't even have to take my pass out of my back pocket. Tapping every single time I get on a bus will be a pain.

I wish they just had it so that you can present your card when asked to do so by a fare monitor. It's a monthly pass anyway, so it's not like tapping it would make any difference, other than letting the system know that you're on the bus.

I can see having to tap it for front door boarding only buses, but for Transitway routes it seems pretty ridiculous.

Agreed. Also, from what I understand from that report, even if you have a monthly pass loaded onto your card you'll still need to tap when you board a bus. That's a pain, considering that's what I like most about having the monthly pass: 90% of the time when I board the 95 I don't even have to take my pass out of my back pocket. Tapping every single time I get on a bus will be a pain.

I wish they just had it so that you can present your card when asked to do so by a fare monitor. It's a monthly pass anyway, so it's not like tapping it would make any difference, other than letting the system know that you're on the bus.

I can see having to tap it for front door boarding only buses, but for Transitway routes it seems pretty ridiculous.

That's minimum pain I would say.
If you look at ticketing systems world wide, almost all cities need you to either tap or insert your fare card. Visual inspection is not enough and should be eliminated because, well, the card itself can be fake, and inspectors don't have the time to check carefully for authenticity.

And there is loophole in "presenting your pass when asked to", as it is completely possible for passengers to evade fare when they travel in groups of two or more. After entering the station, one of then can bring the card/pass out, give it to another passenger outside without any fare card, and help him/her to get in for free. A reading machine would tell the card has just been tap/swiped, but the fare inspector wouldn't.

Lots of info about the OC rollout in this report on fares
http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/ci...2-COS-TRA-0003 - OC Transpo Fares 2012-13.htm

Fare proposals - some of the key notes:

* Rural Express fares removed
* Students over 19 years of age would have to use adult passes, except when eligible for U-Passes (Algonquin and La Cite Collegiale need U-Passes ASAP then for full-time students)
* Reduced fares for seniors 65 years and older
* PRESTO fare per ride set near current ticket fare
* Ticket prices increase substantially, to the midpoint between the PRESTO fare and the cash fare, and will be eliminated for 2013
* PRESTO cars usable in other systems as well as pay-per-ride fares
* Otherwise, minor increases

Interesting. Brampton Transit just increased ticket prices (to $2.75 each for adults), but froze Presto fares (remains at $2.65 a trip for adults). They will stop selling tickets at the end of 2012, but continue to accept them until further notice after that. OC Transpo is following the fame basic policy.

I look forward to getting off a train or bus in Ottawa and be able to pay the ticket rate then and there, which is considerably cheaper than cash fare.

What's the latest news about the TTC and presto ?

Thanks! Looks like we'll learn more in 2012.

does anyone know when presto will be adopted TTC-wide?
I have no idea why it takes so long for such a simple technology which provides so much convenience to be adopted city wide. So many times I am stuck in the street without a token or a $3 exact change.

does anyone know when presto will be adopted TTC-wide?
Read the reports you just quoted. It was quite clear.

I have no idea why it takes so long for such a simple technology which provides so much convenience to be adopted city wide.
3 years is a long time? Your saying that from your years of vast experience with this technology? The delay was in the decision to go ahead with it. Once that happened, implementation seems quite quick to me.

Last edited:
3 years is a long time? Your saying that from your years of vast experience with this technology? The delay was in the decision to go ahead with it. Once that happened, implementation seems quite quick to me.

So it will be adopted system wide in 2015.
3 years? How did you get that number? You mean TTC started talking about it in 2012? This post started in 2006 if I am not mistaken. Both Montreal and Vancouver adopted a long time ago, among all other cities (New York, Boston, Chicago, LA etc), I simply don't understand what's the issue here in Toronto.

So it will be adopted system wide in 2015.
3 years? How did you get that number? You mean TTC started talking about it in 2012? This post started in 2006 if I am not mistaken. Both Montreal and Vancouver adopted a long time ago, among all other cities (New York, Boston, Chicago, LA etc), I simply don't understand what's the issue here in Toronto.

The issue is politics not technology.

You mean TTC started talking about it in 2012?
TTC only voted to go with Presto in late 2011, and even now, I don't think the deal has been 100% finalized. The issue, if you remember, was the price for TTC implementation was very high (even Metrolinx's own estimate), much more than the governments had originally estimated. It took until 2011 for the Ontario government to bring a deal to the table that wasn't going to require City of Toronto to put a lot of money up front. In November 2011, Metrolinx estimated there would be full implementation of Presto in TTC by late 2014.

Both Montreal and Vancouver adopted a long time ago, among all other cities (New York, Boston, Chicago, LA etc), I simply don't understand what's the issue here in Toronto.
Montreal's smartcard system was only fully rolled in 2010, and it's far less flexible, as it requires pre-purchase of a ticket on each of the many of the many different systems that use it - it's not a cash card like Presto or Oyster. Vancouver hasn't even rolled theirs out yet, they still use a ticket validation system. New York's SmartLink card is still restricted to the PATH, with MTA still dithering ala TTC on how to implement, with lots of concerns about the cost. I haven't used the Boston, Chicago, or LA cards recently, so I won't comment on them.

Montreal's smartcard system was only fully rolled in 2010, and it's far less flexible, as it requires pre-purchase of a ticket on each of the many of the many different systems that use it - it's not a cash card like Presto or Oyster. Vancouver hasn't even rolled theirs out yet, they still use a ticket validation system. New York's SmartLink card is still restricted to the PATH, with MTA still dithering ala TTC on how to implement, with lots of concerns about the cost. I haven't used the Boston, Chicago, or LA cards recently, so I won't comment on them.

When you limit New York to the SmartLink card, you're ignoring the Metrocard that can be used on all the city buses and subways, plus the PATH, and which has been around for years.

When you limit New York to the SmartLink card, you're ignoring the Metrocard that can be used on all the city buses and subways, plus the PATH, and which has been around for years.
It's not a smart card though. It's a much older generation of technology, that requires physical contact, and requires you to add money to it manually, in-person. It's almost 20 years since they started implementing it, and it's still restricted to MTA buses and subways, and can't be used on MTA trains.

Back