News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I joined this forum because of the discussion on Rob Ford, but I'm also very much interested in issues of urban planning, and it seems apt that this thread is hosted on this website. As someone who has lived in Europe and New York City prior to moving to Toronto, I'm still often shocked by the lack of public spaces and the extreme over-reliance on cars that I find here, which in my view contribute to this current crisis of civil society. Much of Toronto is inhabited by people who are deeply annoyed by the fact that there are other people around them. They don't like to live in cities, because to them urbanity means being stuck in traffic and not being able to find parking.

I regularly take the 35 bus on Jane, or the 41 bus on Keele. Looking out the window, or getting off at various stops, I just get depressed by pretty much everything I see, and I feel sad for the people who keep squeezing onto the packed bus and who have to live in, what to me is a nightmarish environment. Once you get north of the Junction (or, let's say north of Eglinton, to be generous), all you see is drab strip malls and lonely people in their cars, decrepit apartment buildings or sidestreets of ugly little fenced-in bungalows with driveways, but no sidewalks. It's a hostile, mind-numbingly, soul-crushingly boring environment, where there are no real public spaces and healthy human relationships seem an impossibility. I've often thought, half-jokingly, that I would kill myself if I had to live there. So smoking crack seems like a good option, actually.

In short, I feel that this whole crisis, with Ford and his supporters being who they are, is ultimately the outcome of a colossal failure of urban planning that has shaped the inner suburbs over the last 50 years or so. People who stay south of Bloor (and I myself do that whenever I can) can pretend that this world doesn't exist, but this Halloween it has come back to haunt them.

I am so disturbed by the comment on twitter from Brian Johnson re: the 2nd video. He is a totally credible journalist and the president of his association (film critics).
He said the video is "the unthinkable" and RF "needs a bigger basement." The two things together are making my mind spin. What could it be?

An orgy?
Dead body/ies?
A drug lab, or storage facility? (eg, w/bills being paid at 15 windsor?)

The problem is, almost nothing is unthinkable any more with Ford, yet only certain things would need a bigger basement...

Boy, really stretching it a bit with these theories haha. I think we should think a little simpler on this. Second video likely has another recognizable person in it. Bigger basement=more room for people to get wasted there with Ford.

Yeah, let's stow the crazy/stupid speculation. I've also heard hand job. I can't vouch for sources at all, but it sounds about right.

(and 'bigger basement' is presumably just a riff on 'we're gonna need a bigger boat' from Jaws. It just means it's worse than the first tape)

I've been told he's all cracked out (it's from the same night as the 1st video) getting a hand job from a very young looking female.

While I can understand how some would consider shocking, I find it strangely, err, anticlimatic.

facepalming_Bklnite:

Welcome to the forum - I find that "suburban form as the cause of discontent" a bit on the side of physical determinism - what of the social conditions (e.g. poverty) that drove these individuals to these locales in the first place?

AoD

Last edited:
I said this already. This guy knew other things before they were public. It's a friend who knows someone who runs with the bloods.

It's sounds anticlimactic, but how pathetic would it be. He's really chewed at the time, too.

Last edited:
IThe problem is, almost nothing is unthinkable any more with Ford, yet only certain things would need a bigger basement...

The original tweet from Johnson says "he's going to need a bigger basement," which is clearly a reference to the line from Jaws, "we're going to need a bigger boat." I don't think I'm going out on a limb to say that, in keeping with all the conjecture posted here tonight, I think we can all agree that the most likely explanation involves sex with an underage shark.

" Much of Toronto is inhabited by people who are deeply annoyed by the fact that there are other people around them"

wow, that is probably the best description of Toronto I have ever heard

I've been told he's all cracked out (it's from the same night as the 1st video) getting a hand job from a very young looking female.

No farm animals, dead bodies or mumbo jumbo? That's the extent of the content? Don't get me wrong...it's bad but not "unthinkable". And now the "I was in a drunken stupor" one-size-fits-all excuse makes sense. as in "I couldn't tell if she was underage or not...I was in a drunken stupor".

And of course he wants the one of him blasted out of his tree to be seen first because it kind of, sort of, helps explain away video #2.

Thanks for the clarification.

Hey, it's not a bulletproof source, but they've been right before. I think it could be unbelievable, if you use your imagination.

EDIT: don't use your imagination. *shudder*

The original tweet from Johnson says "he's going to need a bigger basement," which is clearly a reference to the line from Jaws, "we're going to need a bigger boat." I don't think I'm going out on a limb to say that, in keeping with all the conjecture posted here tonight, I think we can all agree that the most likely explanation involves sex with an underage shark.

Ah thanks... I was thinking quite literally about that line from him (didn't catch the film reference, but of course that makes sense), while ALSO letting my imagination run wild. Thanks to everyone who replied with more rational ideas, I was really freaking myself out!

facepalming_Bklnite:

Welcome to the forum - I find that "suburban form as the cause of discontent" a bit on the side of physical determinism - what of the social conditions (e.g. poverty) that drove these individuals to these locales in the first place?

AoD

Thanks! That's a good point. However, the streets could still have been planned differently. This suburban landscape was enabled by bad zoning laws, cheap development, and lack of attention from downtown (and pre-amalgamation, there was little reason for giving it attention).
Certainly, I would only live there if I was so poor that I had no other option. That's not true of the Fords, though.

More likely, given their demographic, Rob and Doug were re-enacting the legendary mud shark groupie defilement by Robert Plant and Jimmy Page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back