News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
To my knowledge you're right. It is just a formal reprimand. It still carries no penalties that I know of. I could be wrong though.

But if Council doesn't censure, it effectively tells the world that it's OK with Ford's behaviour. Council can censure and refer to the Integrity Commissioner, and it should do both.

Random drug testing should be done. And there should be repercussions if you are found positive for illegal substances. These people need to be accountable. We need smart intelligent sober people representing us.

I disagree and I fear the precedent that would set. Our society functions on the basis of the presumption of innocence.

The problem with the referral is the time lag. People have short memories. It also gives Ford time to say he is "rehabilitated" blah blah blah.

But the good thing about is that it's retrospective. It doesn't matter if he manages to clean up his act as it's his past actions that will be examined. I really wanted to see council take a stand, but I'm starting to think there's more value to the referral motion, given that the "censure" motion is of symbolic value, nothing more.

The problem with the referral is the time lag. People have short memories. It also gives Ford time to say he is "rehabilitated" blah blah blah.

The other motion doesn't go through the integrity commissioner. It doesn't do anything. Unless everyone is blind, it's quite obvious that Rob (and his brother maybe)has sat down with his lawyer(s) and figured out that there is NO way they can make him take leave or resign. You've got to go the legal route, which is through the referral. They changed the wording to ASAP - not 4 months but I don't know if that does anything.

Last edited:
I disagree and I fear the precedent that would set. Our society functions on the basis of the presumption of innocence.
What precedent would that set? I don't want addicts or irresponsible people leading this city.

I agree. They need to do something now. If they refer without also doing something now they're just putting it off to a bureaucrat to tell them what should already be obvious about his behaviour. This waiting and seeing is awful.

And I'm also sick of councillors invoking the slippery slope. Jesus these are supposed to be intelligent people, just judge a circumstance on its own merits.

Agreed. Bottom line is that politicians are "employees" and in general I reject the idea of employer mandated drug testing.

I'm not positive but I think Canadian law generally rejects it as well except in very specific professions where public safety is directly at stake.

But if Council doesn't censure, it effectively tells the world that it's OK with Ford's behaviour. Council can censure and refer to the Integrity Commissioner, and it should do both.
If they can do both, they should do both.

What precedent would that set? I don't want addicts or irresponsible people leading this city.

I believe mandatory drug/alcohol testing has been ruled as unconstitutional in Canada. There was even a case recently (this summer) at the supreme court where they ruled it was not permitted even in dangerous working environments.

The other motion doesn't go through the integrity council. It doesn't do anything. Unless everyone is blind it's quite obvious that Rob (and his brother maybe)has sat down with his lawyer(s) and figured out that there is NO way they can make him take leave or resign. You've got to go the legal route, which is through the referral. They changed the wording to ASAP - not 4 months but I don't know if that does anything.
From the sounds of it ASAP is February. Still too long IMHO -- it's gone on too long now.

Going to the integrity commissioner doesn't guarantee anything will happen either -- I doubt she can make him do anything either, so potentially the same result as today's motion, just three months from now.

It's just all so frustrating that those two creepy idiot brothers are sitting there all smug and that they can keep sitting there, causing distractions and getting in the way of things getting done.

"This sad sad spectacle needs to come to an end" "The Mayor has admitted he has breached the code. There isn't one person in this room who doesn't believe he hasn't breached the code". Councillor Peruzza.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back