News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I see GO trains do 90mph all the time btw. The stouffville trains tend to do it if they are behind schedule while they are travelling along the lakeshore line.

VIA's LRC trains are supposedly capable of 125MPH (200 km/h) operations, similar to speeds attained on some British diesel mainlines, but in practice only operate 95 to 100 MPH, and even then, they are smaller trains, with suspensions designed for intercity service (banking systems were disabled and removed) with infrequent stops.
The LRC locomotives were all retired around the turn of the century. Only the coaches remain. Of the current locomotives, I think the top speed is only about 175 km/hr (though I think the highest speed limit is 160 km/hr) which I don't think is too different from GO's engines ... can't they hit 170 km/hr?

You are correct. The P42s are maxed out at 110mph, but never exceed 100. GO's MP40s are rated for 93mph.

LRC compliant equipment, which as mentioned is no longer in service, is still authorized to run at 100mph/161kph on the Kingston sub if they were to be put back into service.

The LRC cars (which was what I was referring to earlier) are supposedly still rated for 100 MPH, even though they are now pulled by P42s (which are certainly capable of 110 MPH) -though I don't think they go above 95MPH without the banking.

though I don't think they go above 95MPH without the banking.

That's what I meant by compliant equipment. I'm quite certain that they're not authorized to operate at LRC speeds without the banking. I've never heard a hotbox/wayside detector give a VIA train a speed reading of 100mph.

According to CN timetables, Via trains that have P42 locomotives and renaissance coaches are authorized for LRC speed. All other passenger consists are governed by Passenger Plus( +5) and zone speeds.

According to CN timetables, Via trains that have P42 locomotives and renaissance coaches are authorized for LRC speed. All other passenger consists are governed by Passenger Plus( +5) and zone speeds.

The timetable by itself does not give you the complete picture. Addition speed restrictions can be found in the CROR, the CN GOI, intermittent GBO's and the GO operating manual. VIA would have its own manual which would give far more detailed information. For example the timetable doesn't indicate the maximum speed that different types of equipment is actually capable of, which in many cases is lower than the permissible zone speed such a GO train with a f59ph locomotive being limited to a maximum speed of 83mph.

Last edited:
According to CN timetables, Via trains that have P42 locomotives and renaissance coaches are authorized for LRC speed.
But not P42 locos and LRC coaches?

I haven't used the train as much for long-haul since the 1980s. Have all the Turbo signs come down then?

I recognize that stretch; it's somewhere between Coteau and Cornwall (the new hydro towers are the indication). That is where the track is among the straightest and flattest. Note that Renaissance coaches are on that consist.

If you look at the Lakeshore West train schedule to Hamilton and the express bus schedule you'll see that travel to and from Hamilton is about 70-75 minutes on the train. Now once they extend full-day services to the James Street, they'll save a bit of time (5 minutes or so), but they'll also lose 10 minutes because presumably most of the trains won't be express trains.

When they introduce all day service to James North, I think they need to also introduce all day express service on the Lakeshore West line. Otherwise the service to Hamilton would be of little use as trips between Hamilton and Toronto would continue to use the faster and more frequent express bus.

For most of the day, the bus is scheduled to take 60 min from Hamilton to Toronto, though admittedly in practice it generally arrives early. In the summer 2013 LSW schedule, weekend express trains (Niagara Falls) were scheduled to take 41 minutes from Burlington to Union, stopping at Oakville, Port Credit and Exhibition. Weekday rush hour trains take 21 minutes from Hamilton to Burlington, of which 15 minutes is from Hamilton to Aldershot. Adding these together would suggest a 62 minute trip, not far off the off-peak bus time.

This is obviously not an accurate estimate of trip time, since the Niagara service uses smaller, faster 8-car trains. But on the other hand, I think the track to James North is better than the track to Hunter Street, and express trains wouldn't need to stop at Exhibition outside of summer months. So overall, I think a 60 minute trip time from Hamilton James to Toronto Union is feasible.

Limited-express service connecting the centres of each city (Hamilton, Burlington, Oakville and Toronto) would make GO an attractive transportation option at all times, not just rush hour. The existing local services provide good coverage, but they are too slow to be very competitive against driving.

[video=youtube;nJagueZvwAo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJagueZvwAo[/video]

I hope you realize that doesn't confirm whether or not it's actually permitted by rule, which was what I was referring to. Perhaps its authorized for that speed perhaps its not, one cannot possibly confirm that is indeed the case by a simple speed reading or two as opposed to confirming it by referring to all the applicable rules. Which I can assure you there are numerous. That would be far from the first time a train has gone slightly over it's permitted speed. In fact its perfectly acceptable up to a margin of 4mph/10% eg. 99mph when the limit is 95mph or 11mph in a 10mph area. Which of course is far less than what is generally considered acceptable on our local roadways.

I hope you realize that doesn't confirm whether or not it's actually permitted by rule, which was what I was referring to. Perhaps its authorized for that speed perhaps its not, one cannot possibly confirm that is indeed the case by a simple speed reading or two as opposed to confirming it by referring to all the applicable rules. Which I can assure you there are numerous. That would be far from the first time a train has gone slightly over it's permitted speed. In fact its perfectly acceptable up to a margin of 4mph/10% eg. 99mph when the limit is 95mph or 11mph in a 10mph area. Which of course is far less than what is generally considered acceptable on our local roadways.

You asked for a hotbox detector, I gave you a hotbox detector.

Here, have another.

[video=youtube;0LzGm1VJ9FQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LzGm1VJ9FQ[/video]

Re: the RFI - will we see ERTMS/ETCS or take the "must follow the Americans" route of some one of their systems? So much easier to let FRA do the thinking I suppose.

Back