News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

There's been an full-day two-way express non-stop GO Bus from Union Station (and before that the Elizabeth Street terminal) to Hamilton running since ... well for over a quarter-century.

I don't recall worrying about waiting for it back in the 1980s ... and it runs every 20-30 minutes these days. And is faster than the GO Train.

Beware though, Hamilton is an odd place ... I felt like I was walking into the 1990s when I got there.

Is that right? I had to go to Hamilton after work last Friday (was seeing a show at Hamilton Place) and I just instinctively planned around the GO Train......found the service pretty good and while I knew there are more GO Buses than trains to Hamilton, I just assumed a train was the fastest way in rush hour traffic....nice that the trains are express to Clarkson.

Is that right? I had to go to Hamilton after work last Friday (was seeing a show at Hamilton Place) and I just instinctively planned around the GO Train......found the service pretty good and while I knew there are more GO Buses than trains to Hamilton, I just assumed a train was the fastest way in rush hour traffic....nice that the trains are express to Clarkson.

If you look at the Lakeshore West train schedule to Hamilton and the express bus schedule you'll see that travel to and from Hamilton is about 70-75 minutes on the train. Now once they extend full-day services to the James Street, they'll save a bit of time (5 minutes or so), but they'll also lose 10 minutes because presumably most of the trains won't be express trains.

The bus however takes 50 to 100 minutes (at the worst part of rush hour). So yes, at the worst point in rush hour, the train is faster. But this is mostly already covered by trains (except for reverse peak). But for most of the new service that would be introduced by reverse peak service, the bus would be faster.

That being said, I did my last run by train, as from downtown Hamilton, both the express bus to Union, and the connecting bus to Aldershot arrived simultaneously ... but with heavy snow, I bet that the express bus would get late, and the train would be on time. The train was ... but I almost missed it at Aldershot, as the 15-minute bus ride, took over 25 minutes in the snow!

Personally, living near Danforth station, I'm happy to see more train trips, as I don't have to change at Union!

As someone to takes both the GO 16 Union-Hamilton Express as well as the LakeshoreWest Train into TH&B Hamilton GO, I can tell you i would rather take the Bus 10000% hands-down!

a) The train is a significantly longer ride (upwards of 75 mins). And the stretch between Aldershot & TH&B is agonizingly slow!!!
b) The Bus takes ~ 45 mins, depending on traffic.. and let me tell you how AWESOME these GO drivers are at avoiding the jams by exiting the highway and manoeuvring through city streets. My bus trip has never, ever exceeded 75 mins.

Also, the Bus provides MUCH more comfort/privacy (essentially your own, dark, seat to fall asleep on after a long day at work).
The train? Hope you like bright fluorescent lights beaming on your face so the person sitting knee-to-knee in front of can stare right at you (thanks to the tinted windows).

If I recall correct, it was either Procor, GO or a N Scale Convention that had a special event on with a GO train being used for a trip to Dundas as a special run. If it was GO, the train departed from Willowbrook, Procor would have been from Bronte and the N Scale from Port Credit. Other than, I can't think when it was or for who, but was on the train.

This must of been back when CN was still running things. Do you remember how long ago it was? I'm guessing it was by private invite only as well.

A potentially interesting RFI:

This Request for Expressions of Interest has been issued to invite qualified vendors who design, supply, install, test and commission Train Control Systems to provide information on their Systems so that Metrolinx can gain an understanding or the various Train Control Systems available and their functionality.

Metrolinx is considering the implementation of a Train Control System to integrate the control of the new signalling system in its Toronto Union Station Rail and the existing signals systems on the Metrolinx owned rail corridors that it operates GO Transit Rail Service over into one central control centre to improve operational efficiency and flexibility over the entire Metrolinx owned and GO Transit operated rail network.

A potentially interesting RFI:

So, they're actually going through with it, eh?

For background, there were rumblings at head office about 5 or 6 years ago about switching the trains to ATO/ATC as part of a suite of potential cost savings. Those who knew better scoffed at the prospect, but also reminded them that switching to cab signalling would allow for some major operational improvements. I guess they've finally decided to get on with it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Thought this was interesting. When discussing the Kitchener AD2W project here Murray states that they would like to see the trains run at "a couple hundred kilometers an hour". could this be the closest thing Canada will get to HSR?

"we've then got to upgrade that track so if you want higher speed trains we've got to put concrete ties, we've got to upgrade the quality of the rail because eventually we don’t want sixty mile [an hour trains]."

"We need trains that are running a couple hundred kilometres an hour, that’s our goal with regional rail, so you’re talking about the kinds of rapid rail systems that you see in that."

Thought this was interesting. When discussing the Kitchener AD2W project here Murray states that they would like to see the trains run at "a couple hundred kilometers an hour". could this be the closest thing Canada will get to HSR?

I have been pushing for 200km EMU's and DMU's far too long.

If we get more than 200km/hr trains, we will really be up there and ahead of a lot of Europe who are only moving to 160-200km for local lines. Special lines will see 200-350km service.

Getting up to 300-350 for us will require huge investment as well fully grade separation. Specially fencing will be require along the full line. That still a long way down the road for this to happen.

it wouldn't be able to reach 200km/h (125mph) until its out of Brampton anyway. The Georgetown south project has it set at 90mph for most of that corridor as smallspy and vegeta_skyline have detailed for us.

Can the current GO trains travel faster by simply switching out wooden ties for concrete ones? I'm sure we're not going to be getting full fledged HSR anytime soon. I would be content with diesel trains that run faster.

My understanding that the current trains cannot do 200km/h. You can easily get 200km/h with diesel trains, but not with the trains GO is running today.

My understanding that the current trains cannot do 200km/h. You can easily get 200km/h with diesel trains, but not with the trains GO is running today.

Is that due to the weights of 12 cars? or simply because of the locomotives themselves which simply have a limit below 200km/hr similar to how the new TTC streetcars can't go higher than 70km/hr?

The only high-speed commuter services in North America are on the electrified NEC - and only MARC (Baltimore-Washington) is capable of 200 km/h operation.

I don't know if GO's bilevel cars are rated to anything higher than 80 MPH - or 128 km/h - with large, diesel-powered trains with relatively frequent stops, would GO even require anything faster?

VIA's LRC trains are supposedly capable of 125MPH (200 km/h) operations, similar to speeds attained on some British diesel mainlines, but in practice only operate 95 to 100 MPH, and even then, they are smaller trains, with suspensions designed for intercity service (banking systems were disabled and removed) with infrequent stops.

Back