News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they need to change tack and start asking for clarification how having a wife who never identified as Jewish and who never in any way participated in Jewish culture but maaaaay have had grandparents who were born Jewish (but apparently converted)

Not many converts to Christianity from Judaism:

The Jewish Encyclopedia gives some statistics on conversion of Jews to Protestantism, Roman Catholicism, and Orthodox Christianity (which it calls erroneously "Greek Catholicism"; Greek Catholics are under Rome, unlike the Orthodox Church). Some 2,000 European Jews converted to Christianity every year during the 19th century, but in the 1890s the number was running closer to 3,000 per year, — 1,000 in Austria Hungary (Galizian Poland), 1,000 in Russia (Poland, Belarus, Ukraine, and Lithuania), 500 in Germany (Posen), and the remainder in the English world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_converts_to_Christianity_from_Judaism#cite_note-1

Wouldn't pretending to be Russian Greek Orthodox really wear on them?

There is no such thing as a Russian Greek Orthodox church. There is a Greek Orthodox church. There is a Russian Orthodox church. Both are national branches of an overall Orthodox, or Eastern Orthodox church. So I have no idea where Doug gets "Russian Greek Orthodox " from.

Wow, thanks.

At around 3:10 Doug says "Do you think I'd make this up" in way that pretty much induces the whole universe to say YES DOUG WE TOTALLY DO, and that's surrounded by him saying "Jennifer from the Toronto Star" over and over in a tone that is really creepy. Props to Jennifer Pagliaro for keeping her cool through all that.

We all know that the only reason Dougugh kept repeating Jennifer's name and newspaper was to sic his pack of foaming sycophants on her wholesale - I'm sure she inundated with all sundry of despicable contacts.

Uh, I intend to tweet her tomorrow - she really gets stars for her tenacity in the face of such fury, venom.

Ford is claiming that both of her maternal grandparents are Jewish - he mentions the name Arenowicz - which may "sound" Jewish when spoken but that spelling isn't very Jewish. His name was John George Arenowicz - doesn't sound very Jewish to me.

How many Jewish converts to Orthodox Christianity were there in Ottawa in 1916?

http://www.christthesaviour.ca/our-church/

Last edited:
So how long 'til Doug triples down and plays an Anti-Semitic card because no-one believes his claim?

I thought Doug might have gone even further if he didn't catch himself slightly during the whole "my Jewish doctor\dentist\accountant" thing. Though that particular subway has passed him, and he dug himself a new tunnel with the "how can I be anti semitic, my wife is Jewish! No really guise!".

Doug Ford is doing the full bull in a China shop with some of the most sensitive cultural issues. Leaving BS everywhere, as always.

Yet John Tory feels obliged to apologise for calling Doug Ford a "turkey". WTF?

Will Doug call it racism? Will he draw in rambling references to the Turkish border?

What kind of animals are these? In the media it's the blond leading the bland, and it's not very encouraging.

Last edited:
It is possible that the family story about the name Renwick being changed from Arenowicz has been glammed up over generational retellings by making the name change an indication that the family was originally Jewish. Maybe stories of name changes are more commonly known for Jewish people. Many family stories are made more dramatic than their reality over the years. Doug Ford Sr. swam Lake Ontario with Marilyn Bell, for example. Which would make Doug a little less an outrageous liar in this instance. Although it still wouldn't explain what his original point was supposed to be.

Last edited:
Many Jewish immigrants changed their names, but very few of them converted to Christianity and especially *not* to Eastern Orthodox Christianity. And they're not that distant from the immigrant experience: most Canadian Jews are the children and grandchildren of immigrants.

But it's not like anyone would have ever researched the details. It's just a family story. Like in my family I've heard a branch comes from Alsace-Lorraine. It's probably not accurate but because Alsace-Lorraine sounds fancy the story is easy to recall and keeps getting repeated by different old aunts. Same with stories about wealthy brides who were disowned because they married your great-great-grandfather who was outside their class or religion. So in this family it is told that Renwick was originally Arenowicz. People know that many Jewish families once had other more ethnic names, they've heard of that happening. Somewhere in the retelling those two things are meshed and the family story becomes that they were originally Jewish. Otherwise Doug and Karla probably know or care little about these particular ancestors, probably know less than we know now of when they immigrated and where they were married and what religion they practiced.

There is no such thing as a Russian Greek Orthodox church. There is a Greek Orthodox church. There is a Russian Orthodox church. Both are national branches of an overall Orthodox, or Eastern Orthodox church. So I have no idea where Doug gets "Russian Greek Orthodox " from.

Salad dressing?

Although it still wouldn't explain what his original point was supposed to be.

Doug Ford does not back down, Doug Ford doubles down. It's only recently that Doug has to back up, because he could not back it up, but that's because Doug's direction is forward and upward and always twirling. Doug is an excellent deal..maker and generous giver, but he's not a taker, or a midnight toker. The real point is when you're Rob or Doug Ford (they're both the same, except when they're different see), you're not only a salt of the earth, you're practically kosher sea salt.

Pictured here, fine powdered salt on a glass table arranged in a subway like rail lines with money and a credit card. "Did you know?" Salary is from the Latin word, *'Salarium' and contains the root word 'Sal', for salt. Something Doug Ford likely never saw as a councilor, because he claims he generously donated his salary to charities. Which charities you may ask? Well...hey folks, who wants to see a magician?!

7e967.jpg

*A payment either in salt or allowance to buy salt given to front line Roman soldiers in ancient times. Ancient Roman front line soldiers whom Robrutus and Dugulus Fordius fully supports by the way, and likely the only candidates who does. No one in antiquity or modernity has done more for the cause and preservation of Rome than the Fordius. People who say otherwise are simply ignorant and biased barbarians.

Rob, Doug, Jews, and a dead-on joke. By way of @BarbaraRKay... http://jstandard.com/index.php/content/item/25598/
http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2014/10/08/barbara-kay-watching-the-fords-from-afar/

Goldberg, dies and his family is planning the funeral.

The local rabbi, they discover, is on a trip to Israel . After many telephone
calls, they manage to reach a rabbi from the next town; he agrees to officiate
at the funeral the next day.

After chanting the “Kaddish” and “El Molay Rachamim”
the rabbi begins his eulogy.

“We are here to mourn the passing of our friend, Mr.Goldberg, a respected citizen
and honored member of the community,” Suddenly, an old man jumps up and says,
“What are you talking about, Rabbi? This man was a gonnif, a momzer, and would cheat his own
grandmother for fifty cents!

“The rabbi decides to take another approach, “We are here to mourn the passing of our friend Mr. Goldberg,
a patron of the synagogue and dedicated Talmudic scholar.”

Again the old man jumps up and says, “Are you meshuggeh, Rabbi? This man hasn’t been in a shul since
his bar mitzvah!”

Again, the rabbi begins his eulogy, “We are here to mourn the passing of our friend, Mr. Goldberg, a
loving husband and dedicated father.” Once again the old man jumps up and says, “Rabbi, you obviously
didn’t know Goldberg. He cheated on his wife whenever he could and he never had time to spend with his
children!”

At this point, the rabbi is at a loss for words.
Finally, he says, “My friends, have we not as Jews suffered from the insults and prejudices of our
neighbors? Must we stoop to their level and speak ill of our own people? Surely, there is someone in this
congregation who knew Mr. Goldberg and can say something good and kind about his life.”

After an entire minute of silence, the old man stands up again and says, “His brother was worse!”

What Richard Underhill is up to after dropping out of mayoral race:

Shuffle Demons.jpg

Richard Underhill and the Shuffle Demons are hosting a fun fundraiser for Olivia Chow here's the details. More fun than Ford Fest, that's for sure.

*Chowstock, an intimate dinner and concert fundraiser for Olivia Chow at Hugh's Room.

Chowstock
Saturday, October 18, 2014
6:00 - 10:00 p.m.
Hugh’s Room,*2261 Dundas Street West.
More info at*oliviachow.ca/chowstock

Performances by Barenaked Ladies' Kevin Hearn and his wonderfully original band Thinbuckle, Eliana Cuevas 'Canada's emerging Latin Queen', master jazz rock guitarist Wayne Cass, funk reggae explorer Chris Bottomley, the irrepressible Shuffle Demons, pianist Thompson Egbo-Egbo, and*Regent Park's own Mustafa the Poet.

Attachments

• Shuffle Demons.jpg
    Shuffle Demons.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 723
Rob, Doug, Jews, and a dead-on joke. By way of @BarbaraRKay... http://jstandard.com/index.php/content/item/25598/
http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2014/10/08/barbara-kay-watching-the-fords-from-afar/

Goldberg, dies and his family is planning the funeral.

The local rabbi, they discover, is on a trip to Israel . After many telephone
calls, they manage to reach a rabbi from the next town; he agrees to officiate
at the funeral the next day.

After chanting the “Kaddish” and “El Molay Rachamim”
the rabbi begins his eulogy.

“We are here to mourn the passing of our friend, Mr.Goldberg, a respected citizen
and honored member of the community,” Suddenly, an old man jumps up and says,
“What are you talking about, Rabbi? This man was a gonnif, a momzer, and would cheat his own
grandmother for fifty cents!

“The rabbi decides to take another approach, “We are here to mourn the passing of our friend Mr. Goldberg,
a patron of the synagogue and dedicated Talmudic scholar.”

Again the old man jumps up and says, “Are you meshuggeh, Rabbi? This man hasn’t been in a shul since
his bar mitzvah!”

Again, the rabbi begins his eulogy, “We are here to mourn the passing of our friend, Mr. Goldberg, a
loving husband and dedicated father.” Once again the old man jumps up and says, “Rabbi, you obviously
didn’t know Goldberg. He cheated on his wife whenever he could and he never had time to spend with his
children!”

At this point, the rabbi is at a loss for words.
Finally, he says, “My friends, have we not as Jews suffered from the insults and prejudices of our
neighbors? Must we stoop to their level and speak ill of our own people? Surely, there is someone in this
congregation who knew Mr. Goldberg and can say something good and kind about his life.”

After an entire minute of silence, the old man stands up again and says, “His brother was worse!”

Thanks, needed that.

Pogroms and Russian Orthodox Church

Ford is claiming that both of her maternal grandparents are Jewish - he mentions the name Arenowicz - which may "sound" Jewish when spoken but that spelling isn't very Jewish. His name was John George Arenowicz - doesn't sound very Jewish to me.

How many Jewish converts to Orthodox Christianity were there in Ottawa in 1916?

http://www.christthesaviour.ca/our-church/

Coming from Eastern European Jewish stock on my mother's side, I know in my DNA that no one of Jewish heritage could stomach joining a church that endorsed pogroms in those days. The pogroms are the main reason for the Jewish immigration in the late 1880's, early 1900's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back