News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's go back further to the original criticism - ie. Rob used the "k" word and that there wasn't any condemnation of such from DoFo. I found the response from DoFo and his supposedly Jewish spouse rather odd in this context. Assuming that a) she really is Jewish and b) her family has a long standing fear over being identified as such over fears of discrimination - your brother basically just insulted your wife's background, one that she has fears over due to prosecutions and all you did was demur and roll over, as if it was some everyday joke? It sounds awfully questionable to me. That's not to mention that his firm has actually lost a senior exec over this very same issue.

The senior exec was a guy who quit Deco because of the toxic atmosphere, right?

The thing about Doug not speaking up against Rob's use of the k-word (and other epithets accounting for about 1/3 of the alphabet, it seems) is that it didn't really bother him. He didn't see anything wrong with referring to Renata on the radio as a 'polack' either, because 'I didn't know it was offensive' basically means to him that it wasn't offensive until someone else took offence.

Rob and Doug have a screwed-up groupthink idea that they're not racist just because they have a diverse bunch of friends, and whatever names they throw around aren't racist or offensive provided they're distributed evenly and as long as everyone does it (no matter how uncomfortable anyone might be individually or privately).

These are guys whose idea of respect and equality comes down to 'be as much of an asshole to one person as you are to any other'.

I am a SAHM, but I get to do things like look after the kids, clean and cook - you know, house stuff. No new SUVs, shopping trips to Yorkville and I have my own coffee pot.

Evidently your husband isn't a good provider ;)

Has anyone noticed that all CP24 seems to talk about is Doug and Ebola?

Which do you fear most?

I'd take my chances with Ebola. At least if you survive, it's over, and if you don't, well then you don't care. Trying to survive four years of Doug would be far more excruciating.

Try reading this article for a little perspective, or perhaps talking to an actual Jewish person:

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/shouts-and-whispers/article995365/?service=mobile

Even if Ford is a blatant liar, it is an entirely plausible story. Jews were not welcome in WASPy Toronto social circles for much of the 20th century.

You don't know very much about Jews and their history in Eastern Europe do you?

And pointing to the example of WASPy Toronto country clubs to defend the Fords is just ludicrous. The few who did convert generally came from more assimilated Central European rather than Eastern European backgrounds, and if they were doing it for social mobility reasons, they'd join a high status Protestant church like the Anglicans or United Church, not an immigrant church like Eastern Orthodox or a low-status fundamentalist one like the Pentecostals.

Conversion to the church that endorsed pogroms, in the heart of traditional Yiddish-speaking Eastern Europe, was almost unheard of. So the story isn't nearly as "plausible" as you think.

I'm "an actual Jewish person" and I think you are full of crap.

Last edited:
The senior exec was a guy who quit Deco because of the toxic atmosphere, right?

Yup - the one who provided G&M with the Deco client list and the whole RR Donnelley affair. Refer to the link I've posted.

The thing about Doug not speaking up against Rob's use of the k-word (and other epithets accounting for about 1/3 of the alphabet, it seems) is that it didn't really bother him. He didn't see anything wrong with referring to Renata on the radio as a 'polack' either, because 'I didn't know it was offensive' basically means to him that it wasn't offensive until someone else took offence.

But see, what I am questioning is something more fundamental than that - if you are going to throw out something as glib as "My wife is Jewish" and doubled down on it being crypto on the basis of Anti-Semitism - it is pretty much unthinkable that you would just publically roll over these comments by your brother.

AoD

Howard bequeathed High Park to the City so long as it didn't elect a Jewish mayor...

I’ve never heard that version of the story; I always heard it was Catholic. Also, apparently not true:

http://www.canada.com/story_print.html?id=b6c86e91-cd42-4309-b5e7-0fbf10b2ebb1&sponsor=

excerpt:

Which brings us to High Park. Did the Howards actually stipulate that a Catholic should never be mayor? Colborne House curator Karen Edwards says no.

The land was deeded to the city in two instalments over a period of 17 years. Both donations were notarized.

"The museum has copies of John's will and the conveyances from 1873 and 1890," she writes in an e-mail, "None of the three documents include anything about a Catholic mayor."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back