News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
It kind of deflates the myth of the Ford's being "common" people like they tried to push. He spends that money like it is pocket change...

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/03/22/doug-ford-holds-fundraiser-to-pay-election-expense-tab

Former mayoral candidate and one-time councillor Doug Ford says Mayor John Tory has shot down his invitation to attend his May 14 fundraiser to offset campaign costs totalling around $900,000.

Ford is throwing the bash with his brother, Councillor Rob Ford, and said he's disappointed with Tory's decision, in light of the mayor planning to host a cocktail reception at the University Club for formal mayoral rival David Soknacki in April to recoup Soknacki's failed campaign costs.

“Mr. Tory doesn't want to help, but that's his choice,” Doug Ford said Sunday. “I welcome him, but obviously he doesn't want to. I asked him if he could attend or support in any way. I guess he's throwing one for David Soknacki...but I don't know what his problem is, to be honest with you.”

A spokesman for Mayor John Tory was not immediately available for comment.

Admission for the Ford event is priced at $300 a head to be held as his mother Diane's home at 15 Weston Wood Rd. It's open to the public, but Ford assured it is not a black-tie affair.

“It's going to be like a barbecue, a backyard get-together,” he said. “I encourage everyone to come. I'm sure Rob and I will say a few words and thank people for their support and carry on the message.”

Ford said of the approximately $900,000 spent on his campaign – $600,000 was of his own money and around $200,000 was the councillor's. Tory's campaign was twice as much as his, Ford said, as was Olivia Chow's.

“I think it was worth it,” he said. “There are so many people that share our views and our values, not only here, but the 905. Either you're in all the way, or you aren't in all the way. We're the people to be in all the way once we commit.”

I remember reading a comment by Tory a week or so ago saying he was holding the fundraiser for Soknacki. Someone asked if Tory had talked to Doug and he said no because Doug got personal during the campaign. So Doug can go ahead and cry but when you act like a jerk, you get exactly what you deserve.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't it traditionally been the winner of the mayoral race that holds a fundraising event for the losers to help them retire their debts.

I'd bet Doug was invited to Mayor Tory's fundraiser along with all the other candidates, and this nonsense is merely his gracious reply.

What kind of bizarre charity is this, where people are asked to give money to millionaires? Who in their right mind would contribute to such a thing, for any candidate, over all the actual charities out there that need money? The hubris of this is just unfathomable to me.

What kind of bizarre charity is this, where people are asked to give money to millionaires? Who in their right mind would contribute to such a thing, for any candidate, over all the actual charities out there that need money? The hubris of this is just unfathomable to me.

These $300 tickets will probably be tax-deductable as campaign contributions. The idea behind it is sound: money should not be a barrier to running for office.

Not surprisingly the Fords have perverted this idea so that their constituency now believes their representatives should, for example, forgo their salaries and pay for their office expenses out of their own pocket. Why this doesn't extend to campaign expenses, however, is just another hypocritical mystery to add to the Ford file.

Ford said of the approximately $900,000 spent on his campaign – $600,000 was of his own money and around $200,000 was the councillor's. Tory's campaign was twice as much as his, Ford said, as was Olivia Chow's.

$900,000 approximately in a month, not the approx. 9 months for their totals.

People in US politics spend way more than 600 grand to run for office. Linda McMahon spent $100 million of her own money to lose two senate races and Rick Scott spent $75 million of his own money to become governor.

They have PACs paying the bills.

Last edited:
Jesse Hawken ‏@jessehawken 2h2 hours ago Toronto, Ontario
Breakdown of Doug Ford's campaign contributions:
1. Doug - 600K
2. Rob - 200K
3. "Folks" - 100K

Yes, but in the cases I mentioned, McMahon and Scott actually spent their own money on the campaign.

But not on all the bills.

$900,000 approximately in a month, not the approx. 9 months for their totals.

I think Doug had about two months to campaign.

Fair enough. I guess my estimate was akin to Ford math. :)

Just thinking... $100,000 from the pubic... didn't Dougie have to fund raising dinners with high price tags, at least high for the "common folk"?

Last edited:
These $300 tickets will probably be tax-deductable as campaign contributions. The idea behind it is sound: money should not be a barrier to running for office.

Not surprisingly the Fords have perverted this idea so that their constituency now believes their representatives should, for example, forgo their salaries and pay for their office expenses out of their own pocket. Why this doesn't extend to campaign expenses, however, is just another hypocritical mystery to add to the Ford file.

I get that it's tax deductable, but so is any charity. I also understand that running a campaign is expensive, but if you can't afford to lose, I'd say maybe don't spend your own money, then. Movie producers don't spend their own money (unless they're dumb or crazy)---they either take their idea to a studio, or they line up investors. And even people who often do put up their own cash---like people who invented and are marketing a product, say--understand that they're taking a gamble and they weigh the risks with the rewards. They know no one is going to give them their money back if their product flops. Really, I'd say if you can't raise enough from supporters to run a reasonable campaign, maybe take that as a hint?

I don't know---all I know is that if a multi-milionaire asked me for money so they could pay off their election debts I'd laugh in their face, even if I was a supporter.

I get that it's tax deductable, but so is any charity. I also understand that running a campaign is expensive, but if you can't afford to lose, I'd say maybe don't spend your own money, then. Movie producers don't spend their own money (unless they're dumb or crazy)---they either take their idea to a studio, or they line up investors. And even people who often do put up their own cash---like people who invented and are marketing a product, say--understand that they're taking a gamble and they weigh the risks with the rewards. They know no one is going to give them their money back if their product flops. Really, I'd say if you can't raise enough from supporters to run a reasonable campaign, maybe take that as a hint?

I don't know---all I know is that if a multi-milionaire asked me for money so they could pay off their election debts I'd laugh in their face, even if I was a supporter.

Contributions to municipal election campaign expenses are not tax deductible. They can qualify for a rebate from the City.

Dougie's still doing the media rounds this morning whining about this fundraiser. The guy's unbearable! I think he gets under my skin more so than Rob.

Doug Jr. has "extended" his camping - something that any candidate is entitled to do if he or she is "in deficit". With his camping still in effect, Doug Jr. can continue to solicit and receive contributions that will qualify for the rebate program.

ETA: Rob has done the same, for both of his campings.

Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 8.24.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 8.13.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 7.57.28 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 8.13.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 8.13.36 AM.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 561
  • Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 7.57.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 7.57.28 AM.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 558
  • Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 8.24.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 8.24.36 AM.png