News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.2K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

New downtown attraction spells civic pride and vibrancy in Edmonton​
September 18, 2024

News media are invited to join Councillor Karen Principe, artists and local Olympians and Paralympians for the unveiling of a vibrant and colourful new attraction in Churchill Square. Located in the heart of our downtown, this interactive art installation will be an iconic backdrop for our city.

Date: Thursday, September 19
Time: 1 p.m.

An Indigenous-led land blessing will open the media event, with the unveiling and programming to follow.

At the conclusion of the unveiling event, media are invited to the City Room in City Hall for a recognition event with Sport Edmonton, celebrating the achievements of our local athletes who participated in the 2024 Paris Olympic and Paralympic games.​

Something with a toilet flush sound effect for a name is coming to 104 Street.
IMG_0910.jpeg

Compared to what Ian? Do you have a YEG comparative slide?

Watch YYC’s program crumble…..now that they’ll have spent over $2B of their Municipal bucks on their Earth shattering-largest-civil-engineering-boondoggle-ever-recorded- on the planet! Partially Smyty’s fault……lol

Watch YYC’s program crumble…..now that they’ll have spent over $2B of their Municipal bucks on their Earth shattering-largest-civil-engineering-boondoggle-ever-recorded- on the planet! Partially Smyty’s fault……lol

And if they want a new green line, they will also have to contribute additional money to that on top of what has been spent. Although they never seem to be short on cash for projects. They're apparently only looking at a 3.6% property tax increase in 2025 as well to keep their books balanced.
Meanwhile, province pays full cost for their Deerfoot Trail work and arena demolition.

Exactly. Well, given that the incentive program was not supported (yet), I'd say it is pretty clear. Certainly there are a few conversions still moving forward, but it does provide a good roadmap of what could occur, albeit on a smaller scale given the potential.

Last edited:
Here's another YYC Housing metric all shot to shit! How come they get away with "over-inflating their housing starts" to make it look like they are eating our lunch? When in reality, its YEG feasting on their lunch! Gee whiz, YYC over shot by 10,000 units between July and Aug.....same geniuses running their Green Line for the last decade I guess?

Screenshot 2024-09-20 103032.png
Screenshot 2024-09-20 102953.png
Screenshot 2024-09-20 103008.png

I would argue that places with more unaffordable housing need this more than here. Given that Calgary prices are considerably higher than here perhaps there is a social justification to spend all this money other than their much higher commercial vacancy rate and bailing out commercial landlords. So maybe their doing this makes sense only for them.

Here's another YYC Housing metric all shot to shit! How come they get away with "over-inflating their housing starts" to make it look like they are eating our lunch? When in reality, its YEG feasting on their lunch! Gee whiz, YYC over shot by 10,000 units between July and Aug.....same geniuses running their Green Line for the last decade I guess?

View attachment 597591View attachment 597592View attachment 597593
The all others category is very variable, but Calgary does like to toot their horn when their numbers are great and often becomes curiously quiet when it goes the other way.

Major Development Permit
Permit ClassNot Available
Permit Date(No value)
StatusIn Progress
Description of DevelopmentTo construct a 55 Dwelling Residential Use building in the form of a Multi-unit Housing with an underground Parkade.
Address10163 - 108 STREET NW

It seems like that DP near the Parks and across the planned Westrich midrise on 108 St is a midrise too?

The Tap Room’s permanent sign went up, and I am wondering if this is perhaps just a reboot of Slop Shot. The quality of signage is eerily similar.

I think it is clear that "The Nap Room" is likely the same owners just rebranding. Yes, it was definitely "the brand" that failed them. I am sure of that. This one will be hugely successful, no doubt. A rebranding is all they needed.

Back