News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
everyone knows that intersections with diagonal striping across them are world class! duh!

actually that photo has me wondering what a 1BE that met the corner at a diagonal would look like? I think far too many of our buildings have a square orientation that just mimicks the grid. We need more that are offset on some strange angles....

Why would the city hold them up?...Do you think they want a debris field at the corner of Yonge and Bloor for the next year and a half?

Bazis is ready to go, if they (the City) are...

How do you know Bazis is ready? A rendering and a model in the sales centre doesn't mean the full building plans are ready. And the city needs to review everything to ensure they build to code. This takes a lot of time.

Why would the city hold them up?

Approvals and public consultations take lots of time and Bazis just submitted for re-zoning around the time of the grand opening. This doesn't preclude some NIMBY about to have his views of Scarberia blocked from appealing any city decision to the OMB either. Unfortunately, interim parking lots are profitable and we haven't learned much by allowing owners to continue to clear their properties with only a development scheme in place.

Why delay?

Once they get approval from the city, What's to stop them from beginning construction in the summer.

(That is on the assumption the site has been completely demolished and cleared at that time)

Well, I guess that's my question exactly. But I assumed that if they announced a September 08 start (as I understand they did in Toronto Life, as posted earlier), that's the soonest they'd be able to go. And if that was the case, then why demolish so early?

If, on the other hand, they can get into the ground sooner, it makes more sense.

The desire to kick out cash paying tenants was my first clue.

so therefore all the structural engineering, various drawings, soil sampling , wind impact studies, etc. are done as well as a GC signed because Bazis is kicking out a low end few tenants? Like I already said, a parking lot is also revenue generating and far easier to work with.

so therefore all the structural engineering, various drawings, soil sampling , wind impact studies, etc. are done as well as a GC signed because Bazis is kicking out a low end few tenants? Like I already said, a parking lot is also revenue generating and far easier to work with.

But why go to all that trouble if all of the above still remains to be done?
They could have left everything "as is" and done everything you just mentioned without going to that expense ( ie demo & site clearing). I think implict in the desire to do the demolishing now is to demostrate that Bazis is for all intents and purposes ready to move forward on this project and is showing this in the most visible way....

I don't think we'll see a parking lot. You can hold me to that.

Realistically, I can't see a parking lot there. Even if it was 100% temporary, even just for a few months. The city would just freak out if they put one up on that corner.

Maybe we'll get a hoarding special. Hell, if the city could allow hoarding to be up at Yonge and Dundas for 10 years, they'll let Hoarding here slide for at least 1.

Maybe we'll get a hoarding special. Hell, if the city could allow hoarding to be up at Yonge and Dundas for 10 years, they'll let Hoarding here slide for at least 1.

The hoarding will remain until at least 2012. (So at least 4 years..probably 5 years of hoarding)

And isn't this also in Kyle Rae's ward (the guy who's never seen a development he hasn't liked)? I remember him defending Metropolis' lack of activity and the hoarding for years.

I'd find it hard to believe that the city would allow the developer to make this a parking lot. They seem to value this site given how for some reason Yonge and Bloor is the "most important interesection" in Canada

Dan, there's obvious marketing hyperbole included in the claim about the corner, but you can understand the kernel of truth at the heart of the boast, can't you? This corner really should be far grander for all of the baggage that Bloor and Yonge Streets carry with them.

Yonge Street certainly carries quite a bit of baggage, in the form of: Toronto Star Building, Metropolis/Toronto Life, Hudson Bay, Yonge & Eglinton Centre...NYCC mish-mash...

AoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back