News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Crystal Blu sales centre is just a couple doors south of Bloor, so I'm sure it's about to be closed down with the rest of the tenants.

It would make sense to move the Blu sales office over to the 1BE sales office.

looks like we may be seeing demolition at 1 Bloor E very soon....

History in search of a new home
TheStar.com - living - History in search of a new home

Priceless archive of documents, photos and artifacts in file cabinets, banker's boxes, suitcase

January 12, 2008
Bill Taylor
Feature Writer

Space – the final frontier. And that's not just for Star Trek fans.

A Toronto historical society with a priceless archive of documents, photos and artifacts but little money has only two weeks before it loses its home to make way for an 80-storey condo development.

"We need space, we need it fast and we need it free," says Jane Beecroft, co-founder of the Community History Project. "They're turning off our utilities on January 26 and then the bulldozers move in."

Beecroft dreams of finding at least 235 square metres "with electricity and a washroom."

Formed in 1983, the CHP has operated since 1996 out of three cramped rooms, donated space on Yonge St., just south of Bloor St. One used to house free public exhibits but now is full of packed-up boxes. The group has a storeroom behind the building but will lose that too when work starts on the One Bloor East highrise.

The History Project's pet scheme is the restoration of the "nationally significant" toll keeper's cottage at Davenport Rd. and Bathurst St., which dates back to 1827. Beecroft expects it to open to visitors on Canada Day, filled with period furniture and artifacts currently in storage.

But that will leave everything else, including boxes of material as yet unclassified.

"We're a small group with a very large research area," she says. "We cover from Sherbourne Street to Dufferin Street, from Wellesley Street to well above St. Clair Avenue. We have about 65 members and get by mainly on their generosity and little fundraising events. We get $1,215 annually from the Ontario Ministry of Culture. We can't do proper, methodical research any more. We just move from crisis to crisis."

With scarcely room to turn around, Beecroft, 75, shows off some of the project's treasures, including data on the Gooderham and Worts distillery and the John St. roundhouse, at the centre of a controversy about Leon's furniture store moving in: "Insane," she says. "Shameful."

The material is in filing cabinets, banker's boxes, wooden cabinets, even an old suitcase. A freezer holds 600 glass negatives shot by Toronto-born Arctic explorer Joseph Burr Tyrrell in the late 1800s.

"We have a drape from the house Timothy Eaton built on Lowther Ave. ... William Gooderham's rocking chair... probably the best collection anywhere of old Ontario road maps."

There's a piece of embroidery, dated 1847, in memory of a couple's two babies who died in 1844 and '46. And the Project is compiling "a list of all the Mississauga Indians who were ever in the Toronto region," says Beecroft. "Here's a model of the Davenport-Bathurst intersection in 1850 ... a child's chair, dated around 1815, hand-carved with a jackknife... a picture of some of the Gooderham family taken by William Notman, the noted Canadian photographer... We have 65 boxes of Gooderham information... 43 filing cabinets; one file for every building in our area..."

If they can't find new accommodation, members will have to take care of the archive themselves. Beecroft says there's no question of disposing of any of it. "Everything was donated to us in trust."

A sign on the walls says, "Never under any circumstances throw anything away."

"They're turning off our utilities on January 26 and then the bulldozers move in."

I wonder what the monthly rates will be for the One Bloor East surface parking lot? Approval at the earliest would be late fall and that doesn't include any appeals to the OMB.

I've got room in my apt--the condition: I get to look at the old photos:)

But seriously, why isn't there a "Museum of Toronto?" Ideal location: Old Town Toronto--King St East?

I agree. This would seem like a natural move for a city which put up a decently-sized building celebrating an Olympic bid which we didn't in the end, get.

Confusing.

DSCN1813.jpg

DSCN1812.jpg

^Can't recall if this building has been documented in this thread.

It's soon to become history... and soon to become the resident's entrance to 1 Bloor.

DSCN1455.jpg

It would be amazing if Bazis put them up in a place until 1 Bloor East's completion and than give them space in the podium of the new tower.

If groundbreaking isn't set to get underway until September, then why are they ending leases now? Is the demolotion process really going to take six months? Why would Bazis cut themselves off from that many months of rental income?

Has 1BE even cleared the city yet in final form?

Someone with a nice SLR camera: Quick, get into the Naval Club and take tons of photos! From the back alley, the roof, etc. Document it before it's gone! Yeah, I'd incorporate the beauty into a new building; but unlike most developers in T-dot, I'm not a jerk;)

Unfortunate they won't incorporate it into the new building. I wonder if the city can still make them do it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back