News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Small correction: he was one of 32 Liberal MPs (out of 132) to vote AGAINST legalizing same-sex marriage under Martin. He was one of only 13 opposition MPs to vote FOR repealing same-sex marriage under Harper. In both cases, part of a bigoted minority both in his party and in the city of Toronto.

In fact, he criticized Harper for not trying hard enough to outlaw gay marriage.

I found the gay marriage vote under Martin to be quite interesting.

- Once the Liberals declared that it was a human rights issue, they should have made it a whipped vote - forcing everyone to support the party line. The Liberals seemed to say that it was ok for 32 members to oppose basic human rights.
- The Conservatives said it was not a human rights issue and there were other ways to address the rights of gays. This position allowed them to have support on both sides of the issue without appearing hypocritical or bigoted.
- The NDP was also consistent. They said it was a human rights issue and whipped all members to vote that way.

Last edited:
Karygiannis was part of the old boy Scarborough club of right-of-centre Liberals who swept into office with the 1993 Chretien tide and proceeded to collect dust in the backbenches for nearly two decades. This included Jim Cannis in Scarborough-Centre, Derek Lee in Scarborough-Rouge River, Tom Wappel in Scarborough-Guildwood and John McKay in Scarborough East. Karygiannis is the only that still remains since the 2011 election.

McKay and Wappel in particular were always a thorn in the side of the Liberals for holding anti-abortion views.

Actually, Karygiannis (and Lee, and Wappel) were first elected in 1988--but the implosion of the PCs and the Grit lock on North Scarberia ethnoburbia kept them perma-ensconced...

A large portion of Conservatives voted against gay marriage in the last vote. Not a big surprise, given how bigoted many of them are. But only 13 of the other 183 MPs voted against it.

It's good to see that Trudeau is cleaning the shit like Jim Karygiannis out of the party.

Because he voted against gay marriage thats what you call him. The intolerance that people have because others have different views is astonishing.

Karygiannis was part of the old boy Scarborough club of right-of-centre Liberals who swept into office with the 1993 Chretien tide and proceeded to collect dust in the backbenches for nearly two decades. This included Jim Cannis in Scarborough-Centre, Derek Lee in Scarborough-Rouge River, Tom Wappel in Scarborough-Guildwood and John McKay in Scarborough East. Karygiannis is the only that still remains since the 2011 election.

McKay and Wappel in particular were always a thorn in the side of the Liberals for holding anti-abortion views.

Off-topic corrections: Wappel was in Scarborough Southwest (previously Scarborough West), not Guildwood, and he was first elected in 1988. He's the reason why I did not even consider voting Liberal at the Federal level while I lived there (he was first elected before I was 18, and I moved out of the riding a couple of years before he left).

Because he voted against gay marriage thats what you call him. The intolerance that people have because others have different views is astonishing.
So what you want is for people to be more tolerant of views that run counter to basic human rights and equality. Maybe read that to yourself a few times.

So what you want is for people to be more tolerant of views that run counter to basic human rights and equality. Maybe read that to yourself a few times.

Give me a break. I have nothing against being gay because I know it is something you do not choose but is there from birth and it must be very difficult when children first realize they are. What i am against is people who call other people names because of their views. People will go to city hall to protest ford because Ford will not go to Gay Pride, yet these same people will not go to Queens Park to protect the corruption of the Liberal government. Unbelievable. I suppose its because Kathleen W herself is gay.

People will go to city hall to protest ford because Ford will not go to Gay Pride, yet these same people will not go to Queens Park to protect the corruption of the Liberal government. Unbelievable. I suppose its because Kathleen W herself is gay.

Speaking as an LGBT person: you are quite mistaken. You have no idea if the same people who are protesting Ford not attending Pride are not making their feelings known to their MPP regarding the provincial Liberals. Just because you haven't seen any, does not mean it is not there. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. I notice you're falling into the classic Ford Nation school of thought of saying that if the haters aren't protesting every egregious action of people Ford Nation bets the haters agree with, then they are hypocrites. Which is just silly and a transparent attempt at deflecting.

To suggest that people are holding back on Wynne simply because of her sexuality is repellent, unless you can provide some clear evidence. I invite you to do so.

Back to the thread: Given Jimmy K's voting record on LGBT issues, I'd be fascinated if he still stands behind it. If so, I hope Andrea Houston and Xtra hammer him. Council already has councillors with a sordid past in that area - to wit Peruzza, Mammoliti and a certain provincial bill in the 1990s. Either everyone's equal or no-one is. No ifs, buts, or maybes.

Incidentally, only one of the mayoral contenders has made a habit of regularly marching/cycling/rickshawing in Pride: Olivia Chow.

Last edited:
Give me a break. I have nothing against being gay because I know it is something you do not choose but is there from birth and it must be very difficult when children first realize they are. What i am against is people who call other people names because of their views. People will go to city hall to protest ford because Ford will not go to Gay Pride, yet these same people will not go to Queens Park to protect the corruption of the Liberal government. Unbelievable. I suppose its because Kathleen W herself is gay.
The LGBT community does not think in unison, do not always support gay candidates (over straight ones) and some even supported Ford in 2010. Moreover, their brains are quite capable of being both repulsed at Ford's homophobia, and also dismayed by the Liberals gas plant scandal. Moreover, when the views being criticized involve human rights, you better believe the blow back will be huge, pointed and may even involve name calling.

Plus, there are a lot more shitty things that Jim Karygiannis has done beyond actively trying to repress the rights of gays and lesbians. He has consistently had one of the worst attendance records of any MP. Despite his years in office, he's a perennial backbencher. He's known for his dirty political tricks, such as having his friend run as the "PC Party" candidate (Progressive-Canadian) to confuse voters. He wandered the streets of his riding knocking on doors and asking people if they were running grow-ops (much to the chagrin of the TPS who were in the middle of their own investigation).

Sure, "shit" may be a crude way of putting it, but it's high time politicians like Karygiannis were flushed from public office.

I've been asked not to say anything until he officially announces, but there's going to be a great non-Ford candidate in Ward 2. He's anticipating announcing on April 22.

Hopefully one that can beat out Ford Nation. Lets get one of those into Mammo's ward too.

Back