News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'd wonder if there's a chance that Whitby-Oshawa might be vulnerable--it's more of a "Flaherty" seat than a Tory seat, after all. (As opposed to Durham, which was more of a Tory seat than a "Bev Oda" seat.)

One of the flaherty sons will be running according to some rumors.
So good luck to anyone who gonna run a against that.

Take this for what it's worth, but at the Grange Park revitalization meeting this evening Adam Vaughan said he would not be running for council again "no matter what happens federally". He also took a few digs at Olivia Chow without actually mentioning her name. He said that he would not attempt to establish a political dynasty in his seat and wouldn't campaign out of his council office. He also said he would not leave the "cupboard bare" for whoever takes over next term (which he criticized Chow for doing back in 2006).

Joe Cressy was working the room before the actual presentations began, but he left once things got underway. He was not there when Vaughan commented on the election.

Adam Vaughan wants to help the Liberals craft a national urban agenda

From Lorinc’s column:

In an interview with Spacing on Sunday, Vaughan said that when [liberal leader Justin] Trudeau and chief of staff Gerald Butts made their widely-reported but abrupt overture, he agreed to seek the Trinity-Spadina nomination on one key condition: if he wins the contest (and the eventual by-election), he will head a caucus committee tasked with developing a national urban agenda for the Liberals for the next election and beyond.

Vaughan's criticisms of Olivia's attempts to create a political dynasty are correct (though I assume he's supporting her for mayor). But I can't vote for Vaughan under the Liberal banner - not that it matters much as he is a shoo-in.

Too bad Cressy is such a weak candidate (he looks like another Helen Kennedy). He's been positioning himself for this position and the Trinity-Spadina NDP quickly closed ranks and had a very short nomination period. The T-S NDP really needed to reach out not pick some apparatchik.

They were also caught completely off guard and just assumed they had it in the bag. The Liberals are shoring up their left flank to compete on the NDP's turf. Vaughan is a big score for the Liberals. It sounds like they're even going to let him write the script for the by-election (the NDP in contrast will almost certainly be very centralized/scripted by party HQ). However it looks like they may be using Vaughan and I'm not sure if he's going to accomplish much and will feel very constrained in Ottawa.

Last edited:
Today's pathetic excuse for an executive committee meeting (responding to monument for remembrance of Armenian genocide):

chaicube 4:26pm via Web
Di Giorgio denies apartheid, Mammo denies Armenian genocide, Kelly denies global warming. Rob's going to have to go for gold (ie. Holocaust)

That's quite alright.....I deny any of them exist.

I didn't but I'm told Desmond Cole and Richard Underhill were among those there, which demonstrates the support Vaughan has on the left. In other words Cressy is going to get his clock cleaned.

I agree. As we have seen by the Ford saga, name recognition means a lot.
AV has been one of the few vocal opponents to Ford, so everyone knows who he is.

I didn't but I'm told Desmond Cole and Richard Underhill were among those there, which demonstrates the support Vaughan has on the left. In other words Cressy is going to get his clock cleaned.

Though were Cole and Underhill there as active supporters, or just as witnesses? I'm sure a lot of the left is "hedging" or wait-and-seeing...

Back