News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

An extreme example of a ranked ballot:

View attachment 36624

There were 67 candidates for mayor. With ranked ballots, fringe candidates will be more likely since there will no longer be strategic voting, so try to picture that with about ~100 candidates (not that I'm saying that they'd be insane enough to use that format).

Yeah but you're talking about young, smart university students who want to pursue careers in Engineering. I'm talking about adults and senior citizens who may have never completed high school, never mind attending ONE OF the most prestigious engineering school in the country.

Happy now? :)

There were 67 candidates for mayor. With ranked ballots, fringe candidates will be more likely since there will no longer be strategic voting, so try to picture that with about ~100 candidates (not that I'm saying that they'd be insane enough to use that format).

I feel like we need more requirements before running for mayor.

Something like collecting 100 signatures before running for council and 500 for mayoral office.

Yeah, but they're viable. I'm talking about the *non*-viable nutters, i.e. skim away just about everyone who got less than a thousand votes...

Yeah, but they're viable. I'm talking about the *non*-viable nutters, i.e. skim away just about everyone who got less than a thousand votes...

The D!IONNE's of the race, I'm fine with that.

It might make imposing a ranked ballot system more practical as well.

Just change the system completely...
Allow any candidate to register and run if that candidate polled at least 10% in any of the previous 4 elections.
Run primaries based on Toronto neighbourhoods of which there 140 listed (both councillor and mayor) any neighbourhood who's boundries are within multiple wards runs primaries in that geopraphic section of the neighbourhood for each ward
Run another primary by Ward from neighbourhood designates as a Ward's "favourite son" as a mayoral candidate...that candidate would then decide whether he or she wants to run a mayoralty campaign or councillor campaign...
By doing such the effective number of names on a Mayor's ballot should be no more than 50 and on a Councillor's ballot should be no more than 8
Running primaries could be effective in separating the wheat from the chaff.....

I wonder if she had legally changed her name to have it in all caps with the ! in place of I. Another loophole that should be closed.

re: primaries

The turnout is already low - it would just increase voter fatigue. How about requiring 1000 signatures from residents in order to be on the ballot? Put the onus on candidates to find the support first instead of name-dropping and using the election as an ad for themselves. Plus nutbars can't hit that ceiling.

AoD

Last edited:
I would think that Mammo is running scared now with the DelMastro verdict that has come down...I should think his days are numbered as a Councillor...Anyone have any idea when Mammo's trial for the Compliance Audit is scheduled?

It will be ridiculous if we would have to have by-elections in Mammo's and Rob's wards so immediately after the election...

It will be ridiculous if we would have to have by-elections in Mammo's and Rob's wards so immediately after the election...

Speaking of byelections...not to be ageist (hey I'm a senior) or morbid (look over at the R Ford thread and death pools) however it is not out of the realm of possibility there could be at least 4 byelections this term due to death in office (three in Scarborough wards and one in a York ward)....This past election could end up being very costly due to an uninformed public

Speaking of byelections...not to be ageist (hey I'm a senior) or morbid (look over at the R Ford thread and death pools) however it is not out of the realm of possibility there could be at least 4 byelections this term due to death in office (three in Scarborough wards and one in a York ward)....This past election could end up being very costly due to an uninformed public

As the one who brought the idea of government by the people once said, you can't put a price on democracy. Indeed - the cost should be borne exclusively by the individuals of said ward. It would be rather wrong to have presentation without taxation afterall.

AoD

Three in Scarborough? One in York?

The only one that jumps to mind is in Etobicoke. I thought Mammo in North York might have some issues. I don't think Moeser has less than 4 years to live ... and I really can't think who the other 2 in Scarborough, and the one in York is.

Back