News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Very disappointed for Tory. Like I said earlier, the more Chow talks, the more votes she might lose.

Like I've said, she will be a non issue by the time the election rolls around. A nice lady, but not a leader of a city like Toronto. Maybe a community activist suits her better. I would like to see her sit atop a civic committee on homelessness perhaps.

Last edited by a moderator:
The majority of the city was against Transit City.
I don't agree. Most people were either for it or didn't care when Miller introduced the original plan. No one was against it until the 2010 campaign. The people of this city are just as much as at fault for this mess as Rob Ford or City Council no matter what they want to say otherwise. Transit City would have been over half done if Miller was still in office.

I don't agree. Most people were either for it or didn't care when Miller introduced the original plan. No one was against it until the 2010 campaign. The people of this city are just as much as at fault for this mess as Rob Ford or City Council no matter what they want to say otherwise. Transit City would have been over half done if Miller was still in office.

I agree. Even now, despite Rob Ford's assertion, I don't know that the majority of Scarborough residents prefer subways over LRT's. I seem to recall just one survey, citywide, and it was an even split.

Last edited:
http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...scarborough_subway_but_keep_its_tax_hike.html

Olivia Chow says her property tax increases will be “in line” with inflation, “all in,” after she cancels the Scarborough subway extension in favour of light rail — and that she will cancel the tax hike now tied to that subway.

Before Chow’s clarification, rival John Tory accused her of proposing to repurpose the subway tax as a “slush fund for undetermined projects.” Chow, he said, “has demonstrated a complete lack of respect for taxpayers.”

God, Tory is such an idiot. I was looking forward to his contribution, but so far he's just been an 'old money' version of Ford's 'nouveau riche' politics.

It's sad that Chow and Soknacki have so many barriers to overcome as candidates. Soknacki hasn't had the financial power to make himself relevant in spite of his irrelevance (like Tory), whereas Chow will have to face all sorts of sexist and racist prejudices throughout the race. As much as we would like to think the sexist and racist nonsense are over, one only has to look at posts like this one below to realise that it is very much kept alive and kicking by the usual suspects:

Like I've said, she will be a non issue by the time the election rolls around. A nice lady, but not a leader of a city like Toronto. Maybe a community activist suits her better. I would like to see her sit atop a civic committee on homelessness perhaps.

Olivia Chow's resume and knowledge of the issues at hand is by far the most impressive of all candidates.

A little short, but good interview nonetheless. I hate saying the same thing over and over but it's a shame Soknacki isn't more of a major player. On the big issues I agree with more than any other candidate (LRT over subway, possible revenue tools for DRL, Porter expansion) and again, he is the only candidate to my knowledge that has at least mentioned how the police budget has ballooned over the last 4 years and talking about keeping it in check.

A little short, but good interview nonetheless. I hate saying the same thing over and over but it's a shame Soknacki isn't more of a major player. On the big issues I agree with more than any other candidate (LRT over subway, possible revenue tools for DRL, Porter expansion) and again, he is the only candidate to my knowledge that has at least mentioned how the police budget has ballooned over the last 4 years and talking about keeping it in check.

I'm with you on this. So far he's hit most of the points on my check list too. We'll see how the campaign unfolds and as all candidates flesh out their platforms. But if his numbers are still dismal by voting time, I think I'll have to hold my nose and vote strategically. No 1 issue is that to make sure RoFo gets defeated.

This is a great picture dev.

Agreed! It's a great picture of you & Karen Stintz. I don't for one moment think Stintz is faking her comfort with being in a gay bar; that speaks well of her as a human being, but it's sad that "not a homophobe" is enough to propel someone into "great candidate" territory. That's where Ford has left us, though.

I still don't think Stintz is suitable to be Mayor, and here's why: jumping on Ford's subway was such a naked political move, which... well, she's a politcian: it's what they do. The problem is that it's wasting $1 billion of our tax dollars and she knew that, and she did it anyway. Is she a decent Councillor? Perhaps. Would she be a better Mayor than Ford? Sure, but so would just about anyone: just doing nothing would be enough.

I guess this is all a moot point, since she won't be Mayor. I know, I know... stranger things have happened, but it's not gonna happen for Karen. I suspect she'll show up as an MPP next.

I'm with you on this. So far he's hit most of the points on my check list too. We'll see how the campaign unfolds and as all candidates flesh out their platforms. But if his numbers are still dismal by voting time, I think I'll have to hold my nose and vote strategically. No 1 issue is that to make sure RoFo gets defeated.

Yeah ultimately for me too is RoFo out above all else, when the dust settles be it Tory or Chow.

Speaking of Ford, is he going to be on CBC radio too? Sans Doug? I felt like Galloway didn't take it easy on Soknacki at all, attacking on his weakest points, so very interesting to see how Sintz, Chow and Tory handle it. Ford on the hand...

Last edited:
Yeah ultimately for me too is RoFo out above all else, when the dust settles be it Tory or Chow.

Speaking of Ford, is he going to be on CBC radio too? Sans Doug? I felt like Galloway didn't take it easy on Soknacki at all, attacking on his weakest points, so very interesting to see how Sintz, Chow and Tory handle it. Ford on the hand...

Yes, I think I saw it mentioned in the Rob Ford forum that he's on Fri, sans Doug. Should be very interesting!

Well that's a bit condescending.

Ah, given CN Tower's tone, Olivia probably reminds him of an "ungrateful" ex-wife or something. So his claims that Olivia'll be a non-issue are like wishful think that said ex-wife'll dry up and blow away...

Especially given her experience. It's not like she is a "nice lady" who just decided to run for mayor on a whim

Back