News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

(moved from the Mayor Rob Ford's Toronto thread)

There's also the matter of her offering public sympathy for Ford for how the media "marginalises" him - of course, that was also tied into some Thomson-brand self-promotion ("Hey, the media marginalises my candidacy, just like the current Mayor").

...and she repeated the totally false Chow co-op smear as fact, but then deleted the offending tweet without offering any apology once enough people called her out on it.

...and she was calling on Tory to run for Mayor last summer, so why isn't she supporting him now? What changed?

etc.

Thomson really is the 'me too' candidate. I'm sure she knows she has no real chance but is looking to get some support and then throw it to Tory for some reason, as if people who would vote for her really see him as the closest thing.

She's got nothing so far in terms of policy and no compelling arguments against her opponents. Disappointing that she chose to bring up the co-op canard, as did Stintz. Tory's not expressed any serious criticism of Chow aside from saying 'NDP' and 'I think she might be looking to spend money'. No specifics, just vague alarmism.

(moved from the Mayor Rob Ford's Toronto thread)

[Thomson has] got nothing so far in terms of policy and no compelling arguments against her opponents. Disappointing that she chose to bring up the co-op canard, as did Stintz. Tory's not expressed any serious criticism of Chow aside from saying 'NDP' and 'I think she might be looking to spend money'. No specifics, just vague alarmism.

The only two things I like about Thomson is that she isn't another rich white man*, and that in her more lucid moments she does at least bang the drum for transit (although the specifics don't really hold up to scrutiny).

If she wanted to be taken seriously, she shouldn't do most of the things she has/is/will be doing.

* Full disclosure: I'm white, male and never have to worry where my next meal is coming from.

I thought Tory did really well during his metro morning interview, he's very well spoken.

I can't wait until the Ford interview.

I came here to say this. Tory is very well spoken.

Maybe it is his past radio experience and I will have to see how he is like on TV but I feel like if he speaks confidently like in metro morning today but in the broader audience the debate tonight will have, he will win over many people.

I came here to say this. Tory is very well spoken.

Maybe it is his past radio experience and I will have to see how he is like on TV but I feel like if he speaks confidently like in metro morning today but in the broader audience the debate tonight will have, he will win over many people.

Of course you're right. Sadly that's likely to be enough for many people to cast their votes for the "safe pair of hands" Tory, who wins people over with his admittedly smooth radio voice, and manages to not offend anyone by rarely taking a position on anything at all.

Interesting to think that Tory could win people over with his confident and polished speaking .... this is Toronto, the same Toronto that elected Rob Ford, who can barely put a coherent sentence together, simply repeats talking points, who gets easily rattled and is the furthest thing imaginable from being a confident, polished speaker.

Interesting to think that Tory could win people over with his confident and polished speaking .... this is Toronto, the same Toronto that elected Rob Ford, who can barely put a coherent sentence together, simply repeats talking points, who gets easily rattled and is the furthest thing imaginable from being a confident, polished speaker.

That's one of Tory's potential weaknesses. Some people don't want a well spoken coherent and intelligent sounding person, since they seem like "smooth talking politicians" or "educated elites".

Even though Ford grew up rich, his physical appearance and his inability to pronounce basic words or speak sentences coherently makes him seem more like the "average person" or not a "typical politician". This enhances his message of being against "politicians" (even though by definition he obviously is one).

Tory's ability to speak the English language should work well in places like Midtown Toronto, but does it appeal to Northern Scarborough or Etobicoke where the majority of people are immigrants who don't speak English as a first language? Ford's extremely slow & simple speaking style (one word per 10 seconds) may actually work better for those who don't have English as a first language, and possibly be more relatable.

annhui 1:25pm via Twitter for iPhone
How is Mayor Ford getting ready for tonight's mayoral debate? Doug: "he's been ready for 14 years" .

Translation: absolutely no prep, folks, he's winging it

I think the real question is, how many "pops" (to use Doug's word) will he have to calm his nerves before the debate.

http://vimeo.com/90147537
Straight to the point video about Tory.

John Tory: a.k.a. Dithers
from McGGillicutty 1 hour ago All Audiences

CITY-TV asks John Tory about his biggest problem
March 25, 2014

What Tory doesn’t mention:

1. How he was a lobbyist for Rogers
2. How he is a serial loser
3. How he’s an out-of-touch, silver-spoon multimillionaire

John Tory: they don't call him Mr. Dithers for nothing.
[video=vimeo;90147537]http://vimeo.com/90147537[/video]

Damn thought it started at 6, not 5. Missed an hour.

I tuned in and see Tory absolutely dogpile on Chow.

I must say I've been real disappointed with Chow every time I've heard her speak ever since she announced her candidacy. Is she becoming Barbara Hall?

Back