News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Why not discussions about mayoral debates in the thread about the mayoral race?

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/20317-2014-Municipal-Election-Toronto-Mayoral-Race

Merge?

Because it hasn't stopped everyone from posting in the Rob Ford thread. The forum views the Mayoral Race thread as discussion about the candidates running, their platforms and positions. Posters took today's mayoral debate discussion to the Rob Ford thread instead (as they have in the past when it comes to city council debates). I and many others on here want to see what others have to say about the debate but have no intention of following the Rob Ford thread as it passes 10s of pages on especially active days or have stopped caring about the drama surrounding the man. Likewise, I would be disappointed to see policy and platform discussion in the Mayoral Race thread be forgotten amongst pages of debate discussion.

This was my effort to organize and direct the discussion more efficiently as there are another 107 debates to be had between now and October. I would understand if a mod chooses to merge threads however.

People ought not to be too put off by today's debate. There are many more to come.

You have to realise that Ford begins with the upper hand because he's been in the role for a while and it's his election to lose. It takes a while to get those sea-legs but you'll see candidates come back stronger (or not) until someone rises to the top. Today was about learning what the talking points will be. From here, they go back to their advisors and work out a strategy for next time.

There are more opinions and advice when running for public office. Municipal elections are the most challenging because too many people really don't pay attention and base their decision of you on how you look, sound, stand - whatever weird observation they happen to have.

If you've ever tried to be elected yourself, or if you've worked on someone else's campaign, you know that it's too early to say what will happen. It's an interesting process and if there is one thing Ford has been successful at, it's making people pay more attention to Municipal politics.

Yea personally I thought it was probably one of the worst debates I've ever seen. I mean I'm sure there are countries in the world where a political debate turns into using chairs to bash each other, and this was better than that, but having 5 people yell at each other for 3 minutes at a time (or whatever it was) was just not an effective way of allowing candidates to debate each other or discuss the issues.

What is with this city? This is the best we can put forward to lead us? Just pathetic. Chow is about as as interesting as a tin of beets. David Soknacki's closing statement was utterly embarrassing. Look at the camera, not your notes. He didn't demonstrate a lot of confidence. It was like watching Rob Ford read an apology letter. Stintz looked really nervous and fumbled her words a few times. Tory was by far the most well spoken. Ford just keeps sticking to his usual deflection and conflation tactics. It's ridiculous, but he probably performed the best out of the bunch. The other candidates need to get dirty if they want to beat him. Stop being such pussies and stand up to him. Call him out on his psychological games, so that he can't resort to them as a means to shift the focus of whatever discussion is being had. He'll just keep hammering out the same one liners and will be reelected if he isn't challenged more strongly. This is no time to be civil or apprehensive about reciting Ford's scandals. The only way to beat him is to play by his rules. Be completely unmerciful. You don't defeat an opponent by being tactful and reluctant to say what you really think. I know it's early, but part of me thinks Ford will be reelected. I think Ford Nation views anyone who is articulate to be an elite. They can't connect to thoughtful, polished candidates. We almost need another plain spoken candidate (without all the scandals, shady associations) to defeat Ford; someone that is intelligible to the average voter. Tory, Soknacki, and Stintz sound way too smart to the typical Ford Nation skunk apes.
People ought not to be too put off by today's debate. There are many more to come.

You have to realise that Ford begins with the upper hand because he's been in the role for a while and it's his election to lose. It takes a while to get those sea-legs but you'll see candidates come back stronger (or not) until someone rises to the top. Today was about learning what the talking points will be. From here, they go back to their advisors and work out a strategy for next time.

There are more opinions and advice when running for public office. Municipal elections are the most challenging because too many people really don't pay attention and base their decision of you on how you look, sound, stand - whatever weird observation they happen to have.

If you've ever tried to be elected yourself, or if you've worked on someone else's campaign, you know that it's too early to say what will happen. It's an interesting process and if there is one thing Ford has been successful at, it's making people pay more attention to Municipal politics.

Welcome to the board.:D

I think everyone at City who was involved with this debate should be deeply ashamed of themselves.

This debate looked like a kid's half-assed homework done on the school bus in the morning.

Nobody at City bothered their pretty little camera-ready heads with any meaningful prep.

They just:

- collected three broad topics
- asked the candidates to talk for an allotted time
- set up free for all yelling matches
- told the candidates to ask each other questions
- had a post-debate team of "analysts" who admitted to not researching hard things like numbers

They owe the city a big, big apology.

What is with this city? This is the best we can put forward to lead us? Just pathetic. Chow is about as as interesting as a tin of beets. David Soknacki's closing statement was utterly embarrassing. Look at the camera, not your notes. He didn't demonstrate a lot of confidence. It was like watching Rob Ford read an apology letter. Stintz looked really nervous and fumbled her words a few times. Tory was by far the most well spoken. Ford just keeps sticking to his usual deflection and conflation tactics. It's ridiculous, but he probably performed the best out of the bunch. The other candidates need to get dirty if they want to beat him. Stop being such pussies and stand up to him. Call him out on his psychological games, so that he can't resort to them as a means to shift the focus of whatever discussion is being had. He'll just keep hammering out the same one liners and will be reelected if he isn't challenged more strongly. This is no time to be civil or apprehensive about reciting Ford's scandals. The only way to beat him is to play by his rules. Be completely unmerciful. You don't defeat an opponent by being tactful and reluctant to say what you really think. I know it's early, but part of me thinks Ford will be reelected. I think Ford Nation views anyone who is articulate to be an elite. They can't connect to thoughtful, polished candidates. We almost need another plain spoken candidate (without all the scandals, shady associations) to defeat Ford; someone that is intelligible to the average voter. Tory, Soknacki, and Stintz sound way too smart to the typical Ford Nation skunk apes.
I was with you right up until you said Stintz sounds smart :)

?? Why do you think so?
If she doesn't want to run, she should pull out, because it is going to get a lot dirtier. The Fords said it was going to be a war, and those 2 bobble heads are going to play rough.

Because there was pressure put on her by various people within the city. I don't think she is doing this because she wants to, she is doing this because she has too.

The format was hilarious and hilariously bad.. ha ha ha.

The dinging after each person like a boxing match. The moving backgrounds were such bad set design.

After each person speaks.. *DIIIING*, the "host" steps back, round 2, FIGHT! It made me think of angry caged animals being released in some arena.

Back