News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Damn thought it started at 6, not 5. Missed an hour.

I tuned in and see Tory absolutely dogpile on Chow.

I must say I've been real disappointed with Chow every time I've heard her speak ever since she announced her candidacy. Is she becoming Barbara Hall?

Tory is really good at talking without saying anything.

I can't believe I'm saying this but Ford's lies, half thruths and side stepping did enough to win the debate IMO. Chow did well overall and Tory was a little underwhelming.

Wow. I hated this debate. So messy. This kind of debate makes Ford look like a champ at the end. Ugh. Chow, Tory, Stintz and Soknacki have to go after Ford so much harder and quicker in the next debates.

Tory is really good at talking without saying anything.

They all are. That was a joke after watching the Quebec leaders' debate last week. (Mind, I watched it in French so I didn't have any translation interruptions)

What is with this city? This is the best we can put forward to lead us? Just pathetic. Chow is about as as interesting as a tin of beets. David Soknacki's closing statement was utterly embarrassing. Look at the camera, not your notes. He didn't demonstrate a lot of confidence. It was like watching Rob Ford read an apology letter. Stintz looked really nervous and fumbled her words a few times. Tory was by far the most well spoken. Ford just keeps sticking to his usual deflection and conflation tactics. It's ridiculous, but he probably performed the best out of the bunch. The other candidates need to get dirty if they want to beat him. Stop being such pussies and stand up to him. Call him out on his psychological games, so that he can't resort to them as a means to shift the focus of whatever discussion is being had. He'll just keep hammering out the same one liners and will be reelected if he isn't challenged more strongly. This is no time to be civil or apprehensive about reciting Ford's scandals. The only way to beat him is to play by his rules. Be completely unmerciful. You don't defeat an opponent by being tactful and reluctant to say what you really think. I know it's early, but part of me thinks Ford will be reelected. I think Ford Nation views anyone who is articulate to be an elite. They can't connect to thoughtful, polished candidates. We almost need another plain spoken candidate (without all the scandals, shady associations) to defeat Ford; someone that is intelligible to the average voter. Tory, Soknacki, and Stintz sound way too smart to the typical Ford Nation skunk apes.

2014 Toronto Mayoral Debates thread

A little late for today's debate but I didn't really like having the debate conversation split between the general election thread and the Rob Ford thread, so I took it upon myself to make this thread as we still have some 107 more debates until October. (I think)

I thought the debate format for today's debate was atrocious. It was a shouting-match and Rob Ford came out on top because he could out-shout and out-lie everyone else, and whenever he was called out on his lies or inconsistencies, he just repeated himself oblivious to everyone else.

John Tory was well-spoken I felt. Chow did not impress me at all, she appears and speaks like a seasoned politician - maybe she is. Stintz ungh. Soknacki communicated his points well-enough despite the poor debate forum.

What was up with that debate polling? Is Rob Ford really speaking with the voice of 40% of Toronto? :eek:

---

There is another debate tomorrow night at Ryerson between Stintz, Soknacki, Ford and Tory. Anyone attending?

My take, FWIW...

Socknacki probably has no shot at winning and I don't even know he'd my pick but I thought he was the #2. He was the only one who even attempted to call Ford on the billion dollar thing but I'm just like yelling at the TV, "Tell him that cutting revenue is not the same as cutting expenditures!"

Yes, that was going through my mind as well.

Same thing when the topic of TTC spending going up under Ford's tenure. Obviously TTC spending HAS to go up when the service demand goes up, as it has in the past 4 years. This had nothing at all to do with anything Ford has done. WHY DIDN'T SOKNACKI, TORY or STINTZ POUNCE ON THIS?

Terrible on all counts. Worst points for me were the complete lack of moderation, the inability to give specifics when challenging Ford's lies and Chow's fumbling of Tory's question. At least we're fairly certain what Ford's talking points will be for the next seven months and if the other candidates smarten up they should be fairly easy to counter.

Obama introduced my face to my palm repeatedly in the first 2012 debate against Romney.

On the one hand, he had only two debates left after that where he finally did better, while there are many, many more left for us over the coming months.

On the other hand, he had a history of doing well in debates before that horrible first debate. Is there a seasoned debater among any of this lot?

Back