News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

There are more than 2 candidates in the race. It seems like you are someone who would very easily be swayed over to Soknacki's camp should he begin polling higher.

Very astute observation - Soknacki is actually the best of the bunch and I'd like to vote for him, but if in 2 months he's still polling in single digits, it would be a waste to support him, regrettably. I'd be ok with either Tory or to a lesser extent Chow. I think Stintz has run an awful, even stupid, campaign. And Ford...I like to think that I don't actually hate people I don't even know personally, but he comes very close. I find him absolutely abhorrent and can't wait to see him humiliated and replaced, and at this point it doesn't really matter that much to me who it is.

Olivia's response summed up.................let Ottawa and Queen's Park pay for it.

This notion of not paying for transit infrastructure is a totally Toronto unique idea. No other city on the planet could ever even imagine not putting some of it's own money into their own infrastructure and certainly wouldn't approach senior levels of government without their own commitment first.

As for Chow's idea of a 10% increase in bus service, I was asked what was wrong with that? My answer, nothing, nothing at all. There is no such thing as a bad increase in service but the problem is that she fundamentally believes that is the answer to Toronto's transit woes. Toronto already has good local transit what it needs is good and extensive rapid transit and her plan doesn't even mention it. Toronto's mass transit system is so ridiculously small it's an outrage and Chow doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

She is such a downtowner that she can't even conceive of the idea that people don't like taking transit. The reality is that 95% of the population HATE taking transit and only due to necessity {ie can't afford to drive/park} or that it really is time competitive with the car such as commuter rail from the 905.

People don't pack onto the Yonge line because of the pleasant experience, lovely underground views, enjoy the seating, love standing with someone's armpit in their face, listening to other people's foul mouth or their latest love conquest, the soothing sound of a screeching train, or the picturesque Stalinist stations. No, they take it because it is fast and get's people to where they want to go in the smallest amount of time. This is why people will walk MUCH further to get to a rapid transit station than they will their local bus stop.

Tory understands that the best transit experience for 99% of the population is the fastest one humanely possible and only rapid transit can provide that and only true rapid/mass transit will be enough to entice someone to leave their car at home.

No other city on the planet could ever even imagine not putting some of it's own money into their own infrastructure and certainly wouldn't approach senior levels of government without their own commitment first.

Fact: Probably no other major city on the planet has gotten less public transit funding from upper levels of government.

The reality is that 95% of the population HATE taking transit and only due to necessity {ie can't afford to drive/park}

Fact: The majority of TTC riders are choice riders (I believe "captive riders make up only about 20%).

Tory understands that the best transit experience for 99% of the population is the fastest one humanely possible and only rapid transit can provide that and only true rapid/mass transit will be enough to entice someone to leave their car at home.

Fact: Rapid/Mass transit requires feeder routes with frequent service. Tory doesn't understand how a well integrated, multi-modal system works, and doesn't have a funding plan to build rapid/mass transit to within walking distance of all these parked cars you are talking about.

Facts....they are your friend eh.

She is such a downtowner that she can't even conceive of the idea that people don't like taking transit. The reality is that 95% of the population HATE taking transit and only due to necessity {ie can't afford to drive/park} or that it really is time competitive with the car such as commuter rail from the 905. soothing sound of a screeching train, or the picturesque Stalinist stations.

Dude, why do you spend so much time arguing about transit when you hate it so much?

FWIW, I worked in the core in Toronto for 20 years, and chose to live near transit so I could read while travelling to work, first at Y&E, then Cabbagetown, then best of all on the 504 or Pape bus & 504 as they came out of the yard west on Queen. My pay grade would have allowed a car commute by the mid-90s. I much, much preferred having my shared limo drop me at King & York with my e-mails done or newspaper read. A 25mn commute instead of 15mn was not even a price to pay.

I was interested in Ari Goldkind up until recently. He's recently started sounding like the kooky wing of the left-wing. So I unfollowed him and started following the Soknacki campaign, they seem a bit more sensible so far.

Thanks, but have you been to one of their events? Just ... to poke around and see what's up?

I have ... and I wasn't the only person there.

OK, I'll bite: 1. What event? 2. How many people? 3. Did anyone beyond His One Man Bandness speak? 4. If so, on what subject and with what authority?

It scares me when the latest poll says that 21% of people will still vote for Ford.

Just throw the focus on nutbars like Eye-ola and Dimitri The Lover; that'll help hone the vote down further, just like "bozo" candidates defeated Wildrose in the last Alberta election...

I was interested in Ari Goldkind up until recently. He's recently started sounding like the kooky wing of the left-wing. So I unfollowed him and started following the Soknacki campaign, they seem a bit more sensible so far.

Same here. I liked what Goldkind said at the beginning, but now he's starting to sound like a bit of a kook, and he's being very repetitive. Which is rather unfortunate as he still has good things to say and is a very bright guy.

My choices have narrowed to Soknacki and Chow.

Just throw the focus on nutbars like Eye-ola and Dimitri The Lover; that'll help hone the vote down further, just like "bozo" candidates defeated Wildrose in the last Alberta election...

I am hoping that someone asks the Ford campaign about her choice of words. For too long, the media wouldn't ask the questions.

Back