News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

That's how you know you must be doing something right!!

And the result is...the guy who said he'd reduce taxes and improve services...has done exactly the opposite. Have those people changed their minds now? I bet they haven't, even though the evidence is undeniable.

But I think it went deeper than fiscal issues. Miller and Ford are similar in the fact that they can be in-your-face on their stance on social issues.....Miller's pro LGBT move of posing in leather on the cover of FAB magazine vs Ford's long standing flagrant anti LGBT campaign.

Hmm. That last is an interesting point, but I'm not sure I'd want to label my friends/acquaintances homophobic based on their hard right political stance.

Whether Ford was considered a bust by upper middle class twits is more than a bit debatable. They'd probably swallow his line about keeping the budget to bare bones; they'd be indifferent to happy about cuts in bus service as they'd never taken a bus in their lives; they'd have been totally against the Eglinton LRT as it would get in the way of their cars. I'd suspect that when the car commute from Forest Hill or Lawrence Park to the city core is affected by construction on Eglinton, they'll scream bloody murder at whoever is in power at that time (think Jarvis lane change).

I'd go so far as to say FH or LP is about the most NIMBY of all places in Toronto, with that fabulous combination of arrogant entitlement and narrow vision that characterizes so much of our 'ruling' class.

Forrest Hill has been NIMBY in favor of the Crosstown however?

I think Rosedale is a much more NIMBY upper class neighborhood. (They recently stopped bike routes being built because they didn't like that some trees were being cut, though they knew about it for years) And there are definitely some other middle to lower class NIMBY areas too such as Willowdale who rejected a stop on the Sheppard line because they were afraid of intensification of their neighborhood.

It's funny how those Rosedale NIMBYs stopped the bike route only after all the trees have been cut.

It's funny how those Rosedale NIMBYs stopped the bike route only after all the trees have been cut.

And the existing trail and slope were probably clearcut a long time ago. And the Beltline in that area isn't lacking for trees, especially dead ones and invasive species. But no, a paved, non-eroding trail with inclines that are manageable for strollers and wheelchairs - that would make things too accessible.

But there's always time to dance...

NatalieCTV 4:40pm via Twitter Web Client
Mayoral dance-off this weekend at Salsa on St. Clair! Organizers say 4 of 5 have confirmed - but won't yet say which ones. 6pm Saturday.

I'm hitchin' my wagon to the star of the show. And I'm pretty sure somebody's gonna fall off! Woo hoo!

Forrest Hill has been NIMBY in favor of the Crosstown however?

I think Rosedale is a much more NIMBY upper class neighborhood. (They recently stopped bike routes being built because they didn't like that some trees were being cut, though they knew about it for years) And there are definitely some other middle to lower class NIMBY areas too such as Willowdale who rejected a stop on the Sheppard line because they were afraid of intensification of their neighborhood.

Willowdale is "middle to lower class???

Willowdale is not Forest Hill, Rosedale or Lawrence Park despite what they may believe. It was until the house prices started rising. That said, it's a nice area, and I would live there if I had more money.

New definition of "middle to lower class": someone who is in the top 5%, but not quite in the top 0.1%. I'm not sure where that leaves the rest of us.

Willowdale is not Forest Hill, Rosedale or Lawrence Park despite what they may believe. It was until the house prices started rising. That said, it's a nice area, and I would live there if I had more money.

And my impression is that house prices started rising there in part because of subway access. Which is what Lastman convinced them that they wanted, and I don't recall them objecting to having a stop anywhere. Where would it have been?

I never been to Willowdale to be honest. I just thought it wasn't a great area because when I was looking at rental buildings, rent over there was some $300 less than in Midtown.

edit: and a stop at Willowdale Avenue, between Yonge and Bayview.

As a stop-gap solution until an actual solution is built, Soknacki's plan is as good as any, and more than what any other candidate has proposed.

I think this just sealed the deal for me and Soknacki. He's the only one of the candidates that has applied sound logic and/or facts to every single thing he's supported. Everyone else is using platitudes and political pandering. I don't even care about strategically voting for Chow to keep Ford out anymore.

Mayoral candidate John Tory has waded into the controversy over Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair’s future with the force, saying that he would support renewing the chief’s contract. “I think he’s doing a good job, and I think that he’s a person that’s going to be necessary in doing some of the things we have to do in years ahead to provide for better policing and for the kinds of constraints that I think we have to look at to constrain the growth in police spending,” Mr. Tory said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...act-for-toronto-police-chief/article19656218/

I used to say that in a perfect world I'd vote Soks. And when it came down to the wire, I'll vote for anyone who is leading as long as it's not Ford. But I just realized there is another possible scenario where Ford is so far behind that strategic voting is not longer necessary and I can safely vote for Soks! His ideas are just too good and sensible to pass up.

Back